Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why do people not think I pay taxs?

Why do people not think I pay taxs?

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light
Default Why do people not think I pay taxs?

Ok I've already looked this up and was wondering if anyone else had heard this or weather it's just the idiots I woke with......At least 4 people have asked me weather or not I pay taxes and told me that they have known immigrants in the past (legal ones) that don't pay taxes because they aren't US citizens.....Like I said I looked it up and it doesn't seem true, I was wondering if there was any immigrants that do get away with this?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do people not think I pay taxs?

J1s here less than 2 years?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:52 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Ok I've already looked this up and was wondering if anyone else had heard this or weather it's just the idiots I woke with......At least 4 people have asked me weather or not I pay taxes and told me that they have known immigrants in the past (legal ones) that don't pay taxes because they aren't US citizens.....Like I said I looked it up and it doesn't seem true, I was wondering if there was any immigrants that do get away with this?
I don't think the weather has anything to do with whether you pay taxes or not.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I noticed the typo in the title and couldn't edit it.....I already mentioned that I worked with idiots, it's not to hard to figure out my level of education!
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:04 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Or how many people you sleep with?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Or how many people you sleep with?
I didn't spot that.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

They're all idiots.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:24 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I didn't spot that.
I saw it and thought it must be some colloquialism I'd never come across before.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:43 pm
redruM

southerncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nice

Maybe you look shifty.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

In the 1970's, there was a friend from the UK get transferred to the US to open a small office in the Silicon Valley to acquire parts for the UK company. He was paid out of the UK and he hired three locals to assist him in acquiring the parts and shipping them back to the UK. Although the locals were put on the US payroll, he wasn't and the UK company never withheld either UK or US taxes.

It wasn't until 3 years after he arrived that he got notification from his bank that the IRS was checking his bank records. Eventually taxes were paid for back taxes owed.

There have been several expatriates on BE that have gotten into problems with the IRS/USICE for not paying US taxes when working in the US. US taxes are the responsibility of the individual and not the company and usually it is the individual that pays the consequence and not the company.

So it is not that uncommon for expatriates to not pay taxes.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
So it is not that uncommon for expatriates to not pay taxes.
And only complete numpties to believe they can live tax free in the US.

Even J1's have some taxes they owe in their first 2 year stint....just not the big ones.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:29 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I didn't spot that.
Originally Posted by Bob

Even J1's have some taxes they owe in their first 2 year stint....just not the big ones.
I met a group of Brit's whose husbands all work for the same company. None of them or their husbands have completed a US tax return, 1 of them was working for a UK company (because you don't need a work permit if you aren't working for a US company) and only 1 of them had taken their US driving test. These weren't stupid people and their husbands certainly aren't
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I met a group of Brit's whose husbands all work for the same company. None of them or their husbands have completed a US tax return, 1 of them was working for a UK company (because you don't need a work permit if you aren't working for a US company) and only 1 of them had taken their US driving test. These weren't stupid people and their husbands certainly aren't
That must be the special relationship people are always talking about.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

In 1996 I came here on a J1 for 2 years and I was often asked if I paid taxes. I didn't but then again I never earned enough to need to pay taxes. I never had any problems with the IRS, probably because I wasn't on their radar.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Pretty sure the only tax I paid during my two J1 years was sales tax:

No property (didn't own one)
No car (didn't own one)
No state tax (Washington)
No federal tax
No social security

Those were the days!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.