Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why did you decide to live in America?

Why did you decide to live in America?

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 5:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you decide to live in America?

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I think that's the one thing that most Brits don't expect. To feel like utter strangers here, an English speaking country. Most of it comes from the fact that you've watched US tv for so long, you think you know the culture.

You arrive to find an utterly different mindset - completely foreign to anything you were expecting.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

The view you get from the 'media' (TV, press, etc) in Europe is so different from the 'boots on the ground' view you get that you are really in for a shock.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

britex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of lightbritex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by penguinsix
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

The view you get from the 'media' (TV, press, etc) in Europe is so different from the 'boots on the ground' view you get that you are really in for a shock.
this is so i used to think this. boy did i get i wrong
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

BamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really nice

Originally Posted by britex
ask why its the south do you like nascar hunt or camo pants. i think not

Ive been to a NASCAR race at Talledega (sp?) it was a lot of fun, work paid for it though. I definatley wouldnt shell out the $100.00 to pay to go though. I dont hunt although i wouldnt mind giving it a shot - pun intended. But hunting is actually quite expensive. But the Dear meat if you have ever had it is quite good. And whats wrong with camo pants?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by BamaBrit
Ive been to a NASCAR race at Talledega (sp?) it was a lot of fun, work paid for it though. I definatley wouldnt shell out the $100.00 to pay to go though. I dont hunt although i wouldnt mind giving it a shot - pun intended. But hunting is actually quite expensive. But the Dear meat if you have ever had it is quite good. And whats wrong with camo pants?
I hear they're the fashion in Europe now too I saw a lobster tourist at the airport the other day wearing a pair of camo shorts.

My kids wear theirs to play paintball, but the little guy lives in his for some funny reason
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
One of the reasons I started this post was because my missus and I are on the cusp of moving over to America - FINALLY.
Roland, did you see the programme on BBC3 last night? '**** off, I'm Ginger'?

How can you leave a country like this for America where they would not defend gingers whatsoever and forget about using '****' in a title except 'The Spy Who Shagged Me' (because they cannot be bothered to understand UK euphenisms for ****)?