Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why become a U.S citizen?

Why become a U.S citizen?

Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why become a U.S citizen?

Originally Posted by syllk
How about being eligible for Jury Duty as a nice big con?
I was called once - no one would accept me as I did Philosophy. (?).
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

VFRpilot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Hi are you a Brit who has become a U.S citizen or plan on becoming one? If so why?

I'd love to get some feed-back I've never even considered it for myself but now I'm suddenly intrigued, would it be the smart thing to do? What are the pro's and con's?
I'd love to hear your reasons ....okay okay .....I'm nosey what can I say
For us it was all about giving our kids a few more options. We had been here for 10 years (on a green card for 8 years) and with our kids fast approaching college, we wanted to ensure that if after going through school, they wanted to remain, this would be an option. So now we all hold dual citizenship. The only real negative side that I see, is the prospect of my son ever being called up.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:18 pm
ElsieTheMaid

I became a citizen 12 years ago. I knew that I wanted to live here permanently, so it just made sense that I should vote and make a difference in the country that is now home.

Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Really? when I was in Boston, they were telling everyone with a greencard to get out of that line and get in with the rest of us foreigners...
Obviously, there was an arsehole on the desk that day. Greencard is good for fast line
Old Sep 27th 2004, 7:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Worldwide income and tax returns to the IRS....can be a problem, well a pain if you have property back home for instance

Also I believe as long as you maintain your US Residency, you still have to report worldwide income.

Rete
Old Sep 27th 2004, 7:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Obviously, there was an arsehole on the desk that day. Greencard is good for fast line
That's good to know, cheers...
and so far, they've all been arseholes at Boston Logon....
Old Sep 27th 2004, 7:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Also I believe as long as you maintain your US Residency, you still have to report worldwide income.

Rete
Yeah, you do, but only if your living here...but if you went and worked else where, tax free places in the middle east for example, as citizen, would have to report that....which is a shame.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 7:59 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Really? when I was in Boston, they were telling everyone with a greencard to get out of that line and get in with the rest of us foreigners...
I've used my GC to get through the US Citizens line three times at DFW airport with no problems, the most recent time being in June.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by DaveC
I've used my GC to get through the US Citizens line three times at DFW airport with no problems, the most recent time being in June.
Well that was my experience through boston, logon, they kept shoving all the GC holders into the other line, and only ever flown in through there, or driven in through from canada.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFRpilot
For us it was all about giving our kids a few more options. We had been here for 10 years (on a green card for 8 years) and with our kids fast approaching college, we wanted to ensure that if after going through school, they wanted to remain, this would be an option. So now we all hold dual citizenship. The only real negative side that I see, is the prospect of my son ever being called up.
He could be called up even as a green card holder - permanent residents are required to register with Selective Service just like US citizens.
http://www.sss.gov

Jeremy
Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

Britarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You are becoming a rank sentimentalist. Whatever happened to having two countries to criticise? I do. My son has three.
LiW, I have always been sentimental, most Brits are because of their love of the Arts and music, I cry every time I hear the high C. I do hope you have taught your son that there are alternatives to your rather biased outlook on politics, but I am sure he has your high i.q. My elder son was born in Liverpool, so he is dual, and loves it when I call him scouse, my younger son, and still younger daughter were born in California, but they all love to be part of UK. and US., I say UK., and not England, because their mom is Scottish...oh my!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britarm
LiW, I have always been sentimental, most Brits are because of their love of the Arts and music, I cry every time I hear the high C. I do hope you have taught your son that there are alternatives to your rather biased outlook on politics, but I am sure he has your high i.q. My elder son was born in Liverpool, so he is dual, and loves it when I call him scouse, my younger son, and still younger daughter were born in California, but they all love to be part of UK. and US., I say UK., and not England, because their mom is Scottish...oh my!
Um, my son's about to turn 5. He's not too interested in politics yet, but he likes a high C as much as the next person.

Criticising the government of one's country is not lack of love for the country; it is, rather, the crucial foundation of democracy. There is no part of patriotism that does not include having a better vision of what one's country should be.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

Britarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond repute

Criticising the government of one's country is not lack of love for the country; it is, rather, the crucial foundation of democracy. There is no part of patriotism that does not include having a better vision of what one's country should be.
LiW,
As usual, your retorts show me up, and are well stated, and noted.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:11 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

............... having a better vision of what one's country should be.
So LIW you'd say U.S was your country? I guess i've never really felt this way, it's just now that i'm considering leaving that i'm looking into becoming a citizen just so i ensure my right to enter the country later if i want to , imagine having my sons called to fight for a country that I'd have to fight immigration to enter!!
Having to pay both U.K and U.S taxes will kinda suck but i guess it's kinda like an insurance policy

if i do go for citizenship I'll sure miss being the only one not pledging allegance at games.....hey what can i say i'm a rebel
Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
So LIW you'd say U.S was your country? I guess i've never really felt this way, it's just now that i'm considering leaving that i'm looking into becoming a citizen just so i ensure my right to enter the country later if i want to , imagine having my sons called to fight for a country that I'd have to fight immigration to enter!!
Having to pay both U.K and U.S taxes will kinda suck but i guess it's kinda like an insurance policy

if i do go for citizenship I'll sure miss being the only one not pledging allegance at games.....hey what can i say i'm a rebel
No, I wouldn't say that the U.S. was my country. The U.K. is my country and always will be, not because I consider it to be better than other countries, but because I was born there, grew up there, and I belong to its history and cultural heritage. I took U.S. citizenship also, after many years, for a variety of reasons, but one of the main ones was that my son was born here (my husband is not a U.S. national either), and I wanted to share citizenship with him. He has three citizenships, lucky fella. US, UK and Mexico. I don't actually envision spending the rest of my life here. As a friend of mine put it, I don't consider myself to have ended up here, rather I feel that I'm in the departure lounge, and I'm lucky enough to have a first class ticket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.