British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Why is BBC America is rubbish 99% of the time? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/why-bbc-america-rubbish-99%25-time-212299/)

Webbie Feb 25th 2004 1:43 am

Originally posted by tony_2003
Actually the BBC news site does live broadcasts of there news bulletins which are pretty good..if you're on broadband that is. I look forward to the day I can subscribe to receive the UK's version of BBC telly on the web...the technology is there to do it and theres money to be made.
There is a website that is archiving British telly -->www.screenonline.net
But... in order for you to view the video you have to be a UK academic institution or library.

I did read somewhere that the BBC is planning similar - they want to take all the TV programmes they have the rights on* and put them online.
The amount of material and their archive is massive, would take a office block size building full of servers to store everything. (That is if they used the current media formats, such as mpeg,avi, QT or Real.

(*BBC programmes that they don't have the rights to are ones made by an outside production company, such as Hatrick with Have I Got News For You.)

..... think I'll go and claim that nerd hat from PA.

excpomea Feb 25th 2004 2:17 am

Originally posted by unseen
Indeed.. this is the simplest way to get your "fix" from the beeb while your the other side of the pond. Something I've already discussed with family members here in the UK.. They get my Sky+ box, they record Eastenders or Top Gear.. Then stream to their PC and then encode in divx format and hey presto very VERY good quality programs you get about an hrs program for 350mb. Download via adsl (take about erm.. 3-4hrs), and with a video card with TV out just sit back and enjoy ;)

As for legality.. well erm.. :D *ahem*

Oh and your comment about the beeb taking money for content? It's a rumour atm.. But it could happen.. Especially now people are demanding the beeb stop the licence fee etc (noticed it on the news today) They have more than enough infrastructure in place to do it (as anyone with UK DSL which gets feeds from the beeb will acknowledge the quality is very good!) and everything they do is digital now so wouldn't take a brain surgeon to make it streamable..

Rob
This service is already out there, you just need to 'look' for it.
I watched the Feb 23rd episode of EastEnders this afternoon.
Not too bad, less than 24hrs after it went out in the UK.
Same goes for topgear, six nations ect ect.

Oh, www.suprnova.org might be a good place to start looking ;)

tony_2003 Feb 25th 2004 7:03 am

Originally posted by unseen
Indeed.. this is the simplest way to get your "fix" from the beeb while your the other side of the pond. Something I've already discussed with family members here in the UK.. They get my Sky+ box, they record Eastenders or Top Gear.. Then stream to their PC and then encode in divx format and hey presto very VERY good quality programs you get about an hrs program for 350mb. Download via adsl (take about erm.. 3-4hrs), and with a video card with TV out just sit back and enjoy ;)

As for legality.. well erm.. :D *ahem*

Oh and your comment about the beeb taking money for content? It's a rumour atm.. But it could happen.. Especially now people are demanding the beeb stop the licence fee etc (noticed it on the news today) They have more than enough infrastructure in place to do it (as anyone with UK DSL which gets feeds from the beeb will acknowledge the quality is very good!) and everything they do is digital now so wouldn't take a brain surgeon to make it streamable..

Rob
I had this thought a while ago and it seems like a decent idea on paper. Problem is persuading family members to actually do it, it would be a MASSIVE pain in the arse to decode and send even just one episode on a regular basis. The only one who is computer savie enough to be able to do it is my brother and I know he'd get fed up after a couple of times. The BBC will probably offer some sort of online material but it will be slow taking off, they still make a killing on DVD's.

tony_2003 Feb 25th 2004 7:11 am

Originally posted by excpomea

True. I downloaded a bunch of Eastenders stuff a couple of weeks ago, basically because I detest American TV and am starved of some UK stuff. I watched about 3 mins and suddenly remembered why I never watched it in Britain...it's extremly dull and depressing, same old stuff, riki still hangs out at the caf looking glum and pat still has an orange face. Neighbours sucked but at least it had some nice birds in it :D

Let the flames riiiiise!!!:D

p.s give me brookie with their over the top "body under the patio, gun toting single mother" storylines anyday.

mcjimbo Feb 25th 2004 11:46 am

You could just do a constant live stream with Realplayer or another video streaming program. Then in the U.S. just set up your VCR to record at timed intervals, then hey presto! You wouldn't even need to encode or decode or any of that bollocks.

I'm suprised that no one offers this service.

unseen Mar 2nd 2004 10:46 pm

Originally posted by excpomea

Heh.. Thought about mentioning nova.. but everyone knows about that.. Right? :)

But I would probably bet not EVERYTHING you'd want is there.. So the idea is still good.. I also agree.. Getting said family to keep it up would possibly be a chore.. but incentive's like "Free Holiday" could work :D

And I thought I'd seen it mentioned somewhere.. the Beeb ARE planning on bringing all their content online! Apprently the rough (and we mean really rough) figures are 10TB a yr per channel in storage!! BBC Creative Archive is it's (current) name.. and they're already in discussions with the likes of EMC for the storage side.. and they're Tier1 (iirc) connected for the net so that's that sorted.. I reckon give it 6 to 12months max and you'll see something.. Just hope they use their nonce and use something like xvid or divx rather than Real or WinMedia.. :scared: The only thing that could kill off the Creative Archive is that Greg Dyke was the big push for it.. Will the new boss still see the light?

Rob

nathan barley Mar 2nd 2004 11:23 pm

Am I too late to say the obligatory "Because it's the BBC?"

If they were more along the lines of BBC2, which is more indie in the types of show it broadcast, it'd be great.

Brit3964 Mar 3rd 2004 1:30 pm

I think there are 3 reasons why BBCA is the way it is.

1) It's a commercial venture so it has to make money (i.e. lowest comon denominator = maxiumum revenue)

2) I'm sure copyright issues are a problem. Recently the company that made Miami Vice back in the 80s weanted to bring the series out on DVD. But because of all the music used on the show, they couldn't strike a deal with all the different record companies so it'll probably never be released.

3) Most of the programming seems to be orientated towards women. I have been told many times by american women (I'm male btw) they find the british accent sexy. But I can't quite believe Alan Titchmarsh could be described as sexy :eek:

Just my .002 cents worth

jaytee Mar 4th 2004 2:56 am

Anything LIVE would be great

One of the reasons I like the news is because it is LIVE. Just about everything else is canned and boring. If they could get a live camera out on the street or do a fly-over of London.. anything that makes you feel more connected to the country.