Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why is BBC America is rubbish 99% of the time?

Wikiposts

Why is BBC America is rubbish 99% of the time?

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tony_2003
Oh and the Royle Family would be cool...but BBCA wont show that in a million years.

They used to show the Royle family a couple of years ago- back in the days when BBCA was worth watching. They've gone to the dogs since David Bernath took over as Head of Programming- he from "E" channel- he only buys progs he can run and rerun to death for more profit. Things like EE and Panorama are expensive, so we don't get. He claims Americans don't like them- hogwash, he's too cheap to buy decent programming.

At one time BBCA had a pretty decent line-up with all promise of getting even better- now its an embarrassment.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:01 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Why is BBC America is rubbish 99% of the time?

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
I was desperate for some only fools and horses, so treated myself to a multiregion DVD player and shipped over series' 1-5...23 hours of DVD pleasure!!!!!! I agree BBCAmerica is the biggest load of wank i have ever come across. I don't even watch it for the news anymore as i get the ITN news each evening from newsworld international on directTV, ch.366
Only fools and horses - I love that scene where Delboy and Trigger are in the pub and Delboy tells Trigger that the women love to hear men talk about money and Trigger comes back with "oh yer, Del, I saw one of them old five pound notes the other day" and in the same episode, Del goes to lean on the bar and someone has lifted up the hatch for the bar. LOL In fact I just love the whole series.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:40 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tony_2003
Oh and the Royle Family would be cool...but BBCA wont show that in a million years.

They used to.
But they really have gone down the pan in the past year or so.
It's difficult to understand why they show such crap nowadays.
It has to do with cost I suppose.
BBC Should be ashamed to put their name to the so called BBCAmerica chanel.

I wrote and told them this a while back, they told me to bugger off
So I did, just like most of their viewers.

Last edited by excpomea; Feb 23rd 2004 at 9:45 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

My wife starts every saturday morning off with changing rooms, What not to wear and House invaders. I think the channel is a pile of crap. I wouldnt mind if when they showed the bbc news, that they'd actually show the proper news from news 24. But we get a crappy world edition that I could just as well see on CNN or FOX.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is BBC America is rubbish 99% of the time?

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
BBCAmerica is the biggest load of wank i have ever come across.
You, like many a male, must be disappointed when the hands drop, but the boobs get blurred at the start of "what not to wear"?.

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:38 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kazzuk
Only fools and horses - I love that scene where Delboy and Trigger are in the pub and Delboy tells Trigger that the women love to hear men talk about money and Trigger comes back with "oh yer, Del, I saw one of them old five pound notes the other day" and in the same episode, Del goes to lean on the bar and someone has lifted up the hatch for the bar. LOL In fact I just love the whole series.
hehe speaking of trig scenes i remember one in the pub that went something like this.

del- "what's on the menu mike?"
mike-" beef hot pot or egg n chips"
del"oooh I dunno about the beef, wiv ole this med cow malarky"
trig - oh dont take any notice of that del, i've been eatin beef for years...never done me any harm"
del - "egg n chips please mike!"
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:39 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Ground Force

Actually, I'd like to see some of the great British documentaries, Panorama, World in Action etc. Also, I'd like to see the news from a more British perspective, and more of what's going on back home. Comedies like the Royle Family and French & Saunders, and programs of interest like something made about Brits who move abroad, or places of interes in the USA to visit. I love Ground Force and Changing Rooms (and adore the House Doctor) but there's just too much of it. They really don't need to be repeated every 3 hours.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:07 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the BBC news site does live broadcasts of there news bulletins which are pretty good..if you're on broadband that is. I look forward to the day I can subscribe to receive the UK's version of BBC telly on the web...the technology is there to do it and theres money to be made.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:11 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I particularly miss Have I got News for You, decent football coverage, good news/current affairs and documentaries, and University Challenge (geek that I am).

What I hate about American TV is the utterly thoughtless and unimaginative scheduling. And also the relentless commercials.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:14 am
The truth is out there ..

valis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nice

Originally posted by Pimpbot
You, like many a male, must be disappointed when the hands drop, but the boobs get blurred at the start of "what not to wear"?.

It's not a matter of being disappointed ... it just says such a lot about two cultures.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by valis
It's not a matter of being disappointed ... it just says such a lot about two cultures.
I was making a dirty joke about his quote of " BBCAmerica is the biggest load of wank i have ever come across. I guess it went over your head?.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:07 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

We gave up on BBCA a while ago, and no longer recieve the channel. And I can honestly say we don't miss it. Both my wife and I became sick of endless repeats of Changing Rooms, Ground Force, and Monty Python's Flying Circus. And she loves home improvement shows, and I'm a massive Python fan, so I hate to think how someone who doesn't like those shows feels!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

lau3rie is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Englishmum
Panorama

Newsnight - with Jeremy Paxman.

Top Gear (shown on BBC World in Asia)

Holiday (shown on BBC World in Asia)

Have I Got News for You? (was this C4?)

I'll think of some more later - hubby got back from London last night with a pile of newspapers I'll look at the TV pages to see what we're missing!
If you're suffering severe Paxo deprivation then you can watch the grainy webstream version of Newsnight on the BBC website - I'm certainly guilty of doing that in the past...
oh such guilty pleasures
Old Feb 24th 2004, 12:07 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

In this day and age it would be hard to hook a TV tuner card up to a PC in Britain and stream video feeds of all the BBC channels across the internet. You could then receive it on your PC and watch it there or run a connection from your PC to your American TV and voila you have the BBC!

In fact I know some mates in Australia who watch channels in America quite frequently this way.

As long as you've got a fast broadband connection the quality can be as good as VHS. Not sure what the legal complications would be though.

For those of you who miss the BBC news you can get good quality broadband feeds from the link below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/broadband/news...ce=btopenworld

I've actually got a friend living over here (UK) at the moment who is a die hard AFL - Australian Football fan. He actually pays $50 AUD a year for membership to the offical AFL website to watch streamed AFL matches. Via broadband the quality is great, perhaps the BBC could off a similar serive to expats of there various shows?

James

Last edited by mcjimbo; Feb 24th 2004 at 12:18 am.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:21 am
Just Joined

unseen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mcjimbo
In this day and age it would be hard to hook a TV tuner card up to a PC in Britain and stream video feeds of all the BBC channels across the internet. You could then receive it on your PC and watch it there or run a connection from your PC to your American TV and voila you have the BBC!
Indeed.. this is the simplest way to get your "fix" from the beeb while your the other side of the pond. Something I've already discussed with family members here in the UK.. They get my Sky+ box, they record Eastenders or Top Gear.. Then stream to their PC and then encode in divx format and hey presto very VERY good quality programs you get about an hrs program for 350mb. Download via adsl (take about erm.. 3-4hrs), and with a video card with TV out just sit back and enjoy

As for legality.. well erm.. *ahem*

Oh and your comment about the beeb taking money for content? It's a rumour atm.. But it could happen.. Especially now people are demanding the beeb stop the licence fee etc (noticed it on the news today) They have more than enough infrastructure in place to do it (as anyone with UK DSL which gets feeds from the beeb will acknowledge the quality is very good!) and everything they do is digital now so wouldn't take a brain surgeon to make it streamable..

Rob

Last edited by unseen; Feb 24th 2004 at 11:24 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.