Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

why america, huh?

why america, huh?

Old Sep 2nd 2001, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

brynn is an unknown quantity at this point

why does everyone and his uncle want to emigrate to america? I have worked there for 5 years and couldn't wait to get out, i tell you! you may ask why--well, for one thing, its all work, work, work and hardly any play. i saw everyone with huge great rv's parked outside their homes, but what good is that if you dont get time to use them? as far as i could see, if you were in a job and living ok, then everybody was nice with you; once you were out of a job, then 99% of friends and colleagues disappeared! nobody wants to know you if you're unemployed, even tho its not your fault! and its all so artificial--you know, the "have a nice day" etc, when they couldn't really give a damn! there is no courtesy, no please or thank you, too loud and brash for my liking. now i am back home in england, i just cant believe the weight that has come off my shoulders--i work mon-friday, 37.5 hrs a week, start work at 8am, am back by 4.30pm and get around $50 000 pa!! there's no maniacal need to work all god's hrs and no maniacal need to impress the boss; everyone works at their own pace and enjoys it. so my warning to future immigrants to the usa--be very careful and think about it real deep--europe is years ahead of the americas where work relations is concerned. trying for the american dream may well be the end of you!
Old Sep 2nd 2001, 6:38 pm
Carlos Antunes

brynn wrote:
    >
    >
    >

In my case because I like Capitalism.

>
    >
    >
    >

Nothing prevents no one from working part-time.

>
    >
    >
    >

No one is forced to buy RVs in America.

>
    >
    >

Yeah, most Americans don't like bums!

>
    >
    >

It's always your fault. Nothing prevents no one from staring their own business.

>
    >
    >
    >

And ehy do you think Americans should give a damn about you? What makes so special?

>
    >
    >

No one was forcing you to live here.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I make "a little bit more than that" and work 40h/week.

>
    >
    >

The American Dream is for hard working people. It's obviously not your case. But that
is a problem with you, not the American Dream.

Regards, Carlos Antunes.

--
"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do
they deserve, either one."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Old Sep 2nd 2001, 6:57 pm
Rj

Very well said, Carlos!

Amazing how someone can spend an entire five years in the USA and have such a
generalized view of the entire country and its inhabitants.

But I only have ONE question of his to answer...

[usenetquote2]> > why does everyone and his uncle want to emigrate to america?[/usenetquote2]

They don't. Check out the ng misc.immigration.australia. It seems to me there
are a lot of people knocking on that door as well, and deservedly so - it's a
gorgeous place!

[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I have worked there for 5 years and couldn't wait to get out, i tell[/usenetquote2]
you! you
[usenetquote2]> > may ask why--well, for one thing, its all work, work, work and hardly any play.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > i saw everyone with huge great rv's parked outside their homes, but what good is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that if you dont get time to use them?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > once you were out of a job, then 99% of friends and colleagues disappeared![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > nobody wants to know you if you're unemployed, even tho its not your fault![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > and its all so artificial--you know, the "have a nice day" etc, when they[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > couldn't really give a damn![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > there is no courtesy, no please or thank you, too loud and brash for my liking.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > now i am back home in england, i just cant believe the weight that has come off[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > my shoulders--i work mon-friday, 37.5 hrs a week, start work at 8am, am back by[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 4.30pm and get around $50 000 pa!![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > trying for the american dream may well be the end of you![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 2nd 2001, 9:04 pm
James Donovan

"RJ" <[email protected]> <snipped>

A lot of people want to emigrate to America simply because American TV and other
media (internet included) has given the world the general impression that America is
the land of milk and honey and the rest of the world sucks. But Carlos you are right.
To live the American dream you have to work hard. Also no one is forcing anyone to
live here.

Old Sep 2nd 2001, 9:55 pm
Rj

Oh, I'm not denying that at all. It was more or less a rhetorical question....

"James Donovan" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 3rd 2001, 2:01 am
Oliver

You can love it, you can hate it, but America appears to be the world's superpower in
any way...media, military, politics, you name it and it comes from the States. Good
or bad? ...Who knows? It's a way different culture created on the mixture of so many
different civilizations (including the Roman empire?) and as there are many different
cultures in the world, some of them may impress you and some of them may discust you.
Most of the countries especialy in europe are traditional which has a positive and
negative effect. In America everything is possible...even impossible is possible. I'm
not American, I'm a European as well but I live in the States and I am not completely
straight yet if I like this country or not. There is something special in the
air...if I ever figure out - I'll let you know. By the way, I had a chance to visit
England, I like England alot too. It's probably very personal feeling you have about
the states. Take it easy dude, relax, have a beer, you don't have to like everything
you see

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 3rd 2001, 2:29 am
Rj

Very well said. It reminds me of a quote:

"In taste, there is no dispute" - TS Eliot

>
    >
comes
    >
    >
and
    >
impress
    >
    >
America
    >
I'm
    >
straight
    >
    >
    >
    >
dude,
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > why does everyone and his uncle want to emigrate to america? I have worked there[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for 5 years and couldn't wait to get out, i tell you! you may ask why--well, for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > one thing, its all work, work, work and hardly any play. i saw everyone with huge[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > great rv's parked outside their homes, but what good is that if you dont get time[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to use them? as far as i could see, if you were in a job and living ok, then[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > everybody was nice with you; once you were out of a job, then 99% of friends and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > colleagues disappeared! nobody wants to know you if you're unemployed, even tho[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > its not your fault! and its all so artificial--you know, the "have a nice day"[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > etc, when they couldn't really give a damn! there is no courtesy, no please or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > thank you, too loud and brash for my liking. now i am back home in england, i[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > just cant believe the weight that has come off my shoulders--i work mon-friday,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 37.5 hrs a week, start work at 8am, am back by 4.30pm and get around $50 000 pa!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > there's no maniacal need to work all god's hrs and no maniacal need to impress[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the boss; everyone works at their own pace and enjoys it. so my warning to future[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > immigrants to the usa--be very careful and think about it real deep--europe is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > years ahead of the americas where work relations is concerned. trying for the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > american dream may well be the end of you![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 3rd 2001, 2:24 pm
James Donovan

"Oliver" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hope you're not having none of that coor's light.... Tastes like bloody water. Have a
heineken, that's real beer.

<snipped

Old Sep 3rd 2001, 7:37 pm
Oliver

Unless a person lives long enough at the place the person didn't grew up at, not even
the flowers and the grass smells the same, nothing smells as good as the childhood
place. the whole life is just a matter of taste...there should be nothing to waste
    >

Old Sep 5th 2001, 6:13 am
Gary L. Dare

A lot of people want to emigrate to America simply because
    >
    >
    >

Cheerleaders on CNBC and CNN/fn beamed worldwide badmouth other economies and prevent
them from pulling more load in face of a US economic slowdown. A lot of Europeans,
Canadians and Australians are buying overpriced US$ to see their value drop and
exacerbate losses in the Dow instead of support demand at home and import more US
goods and services.

Likewise, there was a tech gold rush the last five years that just ended. Like every
gold rush seen in hindsight, there is tarnish as profit and productivity gains are
being corrected ... downward. )-; [See recent columns by Floyd Norris and Gretchen
Morgensen at the New York Times' Business section, in the Columns subsection.]

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

Old Sep 5th 2001, 9:56 pm
Alistair Bell

On Sun, 02 Sep 2001 18:38:37 GMT, Carlos Antunes is alleged to have said:
    >
[usenetquote2]>> nobody wants to know you if you're unemployed, even tho its not your fault![/usenetquote2]
    >

Actually, brynn may well have been an H-1. Unless he's a millionaire, INS _will_
prevent him from (legally) starting his own business and working for it.

I'm an H-1 software engineer. I have lots of ideas in my field. I can't legally start
a business in the US to exploit them. So either I have to give my ideas away, or I
have to go back to Britain -- or I have to keep them to myself and stifle innovation.

Oh well, just another artifact of the broken H-1 and Green Card process.

Sorry to be so negative...

Alistair

I am not a lawyer, and anything I say is worth exactly what you paid for it
(i.e. nothing!) For reliable advice, always consult a good immigration lawyer.

Old Sep 8th 2001, 3:41 am
Neil Armstrong

Because this country has one thing that other countries are struggling to have -
true f.r.e.e.d.o.m and individualism coupled with entrepreunership. As one other
poster said, there's something special in this country, and undoubtedly it's the
superpower of the world - something that England can't match in today's world. As
with every country, there's good and bad in every country, but after visiting some
countries in "advanced" Europe and Asia, I'd take my chances in America anyday.
Further testimony to the greatness of America lies in the amount of immigrants
(including many from Europe) dying to come here. (I have met many young people
working in restaurants with advanced degrees from many western European countries
aspiring to be immigrants in America.)

As we say in America, have a nice day,

Neil Armstrong [email protected]

brynn wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 8th 2001, 6:32 am
Eloise Jackson

Why did you come to the US in the first place? Did you think life in the US was like
a 1950's movie?

Welcome to the real world.

Old Sep 8th 2001, 6:58 am
Joachim Feise

Eloise Jackson wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Apparently, lots of people believe that what they see on Baywatch (probably the most
watched crappy US TV series in the world) is for real...

-Joe

Old Sep 8th 2001, 1:52 pm
Carlos Antunes

Are you saying those little "melons" are not for real!? Oh, shoot...

Joachim Feise wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

--
"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a
right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is
unfolding as it should."

Max Ehrmann in DESIDERATA, 1927