Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why am I not surprised

Why am I not surprised

Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why am I not surprised

Originally Posted by Michael
On the news the other day, health insurance companies announced that the payment of claims were down this year because people were putting off doctors visits due to the out of pocket costs and the recession. However they said they will be increasing health insurance premiums this year but did not indicate why.
Yeah, the president of Regence BC/BS posted a load of crap in the editorial section of the Oregonian yesterday in response to the public uproar over this request. They talk out of both sides of their mouth, as long as the company is making money.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:00 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I was with Atlantis which is only in New York State. They were 21 million in debt and weren't paying their doctors. Their premiums went up 32% this year. I am with Blue cross now. I went through a broker and he got me Blue Cross/ Blue shield of Illionois even though I live in NYC through a union. We pay $859 for my husband and myself with a $300 deductible. We could have taken a lower monthly premium with a higher deductible. It's still a lot of money. His company has crap insurance. My restaurant doesn't have a brilliant plan either. It's just ridiculous!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I was with Atlantis which is only in New York State. They were 21 million in debt and weren't paying their doctors. Their premiums went up 32% this year. I am with Blue cross now. I went through a broker and he got me Blue Cross/ Blue shield of Illionois even though I live in NYC through a union. We pay $859 for my husband and myself with a $300 deductible. We could have taken a lower monthly premium with a higher deductible. It's still a lot of money. His company has crap insurance. My restaurant doesn't have a brilliant plan either. It's just ridiculous!
How can a Restaurant afford to provide Health Care for its employees?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:50 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Boiler;9410906]How can a Restaurant afford to provide Health Care for its employees?[/QUO
Why do you say that? They offer Emblem/HIP HMO group coverage. There is no couples plan though only single or family with the group coverage so I've stuck with my own plan which is less expensive. My husbands company offers the exact same. He works in an office though. In New York small companies can use the expense as a tax writeoff. I have several friends that get health insurance at the restaurants they work at. It's not as uncommon as it used to be.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=penguinbar;9411069]
Originally Posted by Boiler
How can a Restaurant afford to provide Health Care for its employees?[/QUO
Why do you say that? They offer Emblem/HIP HMO group coverage. There is no couples plan though only single or family with the group coverage so I've stuck with my own plan which is less expensive. My husbands company offers the exact same. He works in an office though. In New York small companies can use the expense as a tax writeoff. I have several friends that get health insurance at the restaurants they work at. It's not as uncommon as it used to be.
Speaking for CO, maybe the Chef etc, but waitresses, dishwashers, busboys etc never heard of it.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking for CO, maybe the Chef etc, but waitresses, dishwashers, busboys etc never heard of it.
You've got a new standard to live up to.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you think that is bad, if the new increases go through my wife and I will pay $1550 a month. Her deductible is $500 mine is $2500.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:20 pm

[QUOTE=Boiler;9411716]
It's not uncommon for restaurants in NYC to offer health insurance.

Last edited by penguinbar; Jun 5th 2011 at 10:23 pm. Reason: I'm repeating myself but it's true.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
If you think that is bad, if the new increases go through my wife and I will pay $1550 a month. Her deductible is $500 mine is $2500.
That's awful! Would you like me to PM you the name of the broker that I used? He had all sorts of options for us.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

Must be a lot more money up there.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:31 pm

Must be a lot more money up there.
It's hard to compare NYC to Colorado. I'm sure the cost of living is more here as well.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That's awful! Would you like me to PM you the name of the broker that I used? He had all sorts of options for us.
Yes, thanks nothing lost in looking to see what else is on offer.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by lansbury
Yes, thanks nothing lost in looking to see what else is on offer.
Sent you a PM.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:41 am

Sent you a PM.

Thanks
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:14 am

You're welcome.