Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why am I not surprised

Why am I not surprised

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why am I not surprised

Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Oregon want to put up health insurance premiums to individual policy holders by 22% on August 1st.

The increases do not apply to those who get their insurance from their employer. Just to those of us who have to buy our own insurance.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:09 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why am I not surprised

Originally Posted by lansbury
Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Oregon want to put up health insurance premiums to individual policy holders by 22% on August 1st.

The increases do not apply to those who get their insurance from their employer. Just to those of us who have to buy our own insurance.
Mine went up $80 in 3 years I kissed them goodbye.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:34 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're a state employee like me; the union is fighting against a budget proposal which would effectively cut our pay by about 24%, most of that due to insurance cuts.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:40 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Get used to the increases. I have to deal with health insurance companies 5 days a week and after 13 yrs of doing it i could bore everybody stupid with some of the horror stories I have had to deal with!. The latest thing round here is a premium increase based on claims, inflation??? and then this etherial thing called 'trending'... that accounted for over 10% of our increase but nobody at the insurance company could tell what it was. Anyway swapping companies can sometimes get you relief for a year but be afraid ... very afraid!!! lots of doctors are now refusing point blank to deal with it and are just going boutique (pay an annual subscription) and then give the patients the bill to fight out with the insurance. Our doctors now only accept certain ppo plans and we now limit time on each case. It is not unusual for me to be on hold with a company in excess of 30 - 45 mins and still not get a straight answer. Also (just for the crack) we have made multiple calls at the same time to the same company about the same patient, asking the same questions and get different responses...!!.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Husband's health insurance was increased by 19% in May with Aetna. Mine went up 12%. We have minimal call on our insurance during the year, usually just an annual checkup.

They say it is due to medical costs rising.

Having just seen my annual mammogram increase over 60% from one year to the next (with no difference as far as I can see in either equipment, service or staff) I think the medical profession is also out of control and is increasing its charges with impunity.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:08 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Unless you're a state employee like me; the union is fighting against a budget proposal which would effectively cut our pay by about 24%, most of that due to insurance cuts.
That isn't the insurance company putting up the rates, that is Oregon trying to balance its budget. Unfortunately what the citizens of Oregon can't pay is the problem, and if the money isn't there not a lot can be done.

I speak as someone whose wife was in Tier 1 PERS and has seen that butchered in the past, and a Councilor trying to balance a city budget without laying off staff. Looking five years out it is a grime picture.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Mine went up $80 in 3 years I kissed them goodbye.
I looked at Providence last year, and just as I was think of changing I end up in hospital and $40Ks worth of surgery. So I didn't risk it. This year I will definably see what the other providers rates are.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:13 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Husband's health insurance was increased by 19% in May with Aetna. Mine went up 12%. We have minimal call on our insurance during the year, usually just an annual checkup.

They say it is due to medical costs rising.

Having just seen my annual mammogram increase over 60% from one year to the next (with no difference as far as I can see in either equipment, service or staff) I think the medical profession is also out of control and is increasing its charges with impunity.
Ok here are some things the general populus doesn't know:

Doctors can bill what they like BUT insurance companies set the fee schedules that they will pay!!.. look at what they paid not what was charged!! not allowed to give you exact amounts because a Federal law prohibits Doctors from talking to each other about it or even their staff. Most fee schedules are based on a formula dictated by Medicare.. so the GOVT is already in your healthcare!!

our re imbursement has not gone up.. so who is getting the money????...not us!!

some re imbursements are so low our doctors would be better off driving for UPS some days. Also people forget that all that fancy equipment they expect doctors to have costs boat loads of money!! and probably all medical office staff have this aversion to working for nothing ... so there are staff costs, phones, rent.... etc etc and the BIG one...

If you have a retirement or 401K you will find that a lot of investments are tied into the health insurance industry... guess you want that to make a profit?

the system is broken and the alternative isn't a lot better.. sometimes the NHS does not seem so bad
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
our re imbursement has not gone up.. so who is getting the money????...not us!!
your right ..My Doctors Mercedes is now over a year old ...poor bastard
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:30 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

Originally Posted by Ray
your right ..My Doctors Mercedes is now over a year old ...poor bastard
PLEASE ..some decorum... that is person of doubtful parentage!!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
PLEASE ..some decorum... that is person of doubtful parentage!!
Wrong I know Dr Mahatmacoats parents and his wife does have her new lexus last month
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a 5 minute Doctors visit costs me $95 and several reams of paper.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:44 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

Originally Posted by Ray
Wrong I know Dr Mahatmacoats parents and his wife does have her new lexus last month
See!!! told you things were bad!!! ... she originally ordered a bentley!!
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Linden.g is an unknown quantity at this point

It never ends does it

Old Jun 4th 2011, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

On the news the other day, health insurance companies announced that the payment of claims were down this year because people were putting off doctors visits due to the out of pocket costs and the recession. However they said they will be increasing health insurance premiums this year but did not indicate why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.