Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who's Visiting the UK at Crimbo?

Who's Visiting the UK at Crimbo?

Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who's Visiting the UK at Crimbo?

I've noticed the odd poster mentioning that they're going to the UK for Christmas.

How many of you are heading that way and where and who will you be visiting?

My family (two of us) are flying from the US on 19th Dec, arriving in LGW on 20th Dec. I'll be in the UK for 9 days.

Seeing my parents of course, possibly my brother and as many friends who'll be in London at the time.

I know a couple of British expats in my area who are heading to the UK on 17th and 24th December. The one who's leaving on 24th will actually arrive very early on Christmas Day!

NC Penguin
Old Oct 8th 2003, 6:35 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I am, and I can't wait!
We leave Orlando on 17th Dec and arrive at Gatwick on the 18th. Spend 2 weeks catching up with all the friends and family and then fly home on New Years day. I had wanted to take the children into London to see some of the sights, but with so many people to see, time is looking a bit tight.
We now have the dilemma of what to do about Xmas presents for the little'uns.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 7:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
I am, and I can't wait!
We leave Orlando on 17th Dec and arrive at Gatwick on the 18th. Spend 2 weeks catching up with all the friends and family and then fly home on New Years day. I had wanted to take the children into London to see some of the sights, but with so many people to see, time is looking a bit tight.
We now have the dilemma of what to do about Xmas presents for the little'uns.
Instead of buying gifts, either in the US or in the UK, what about giving them an experience they'll remember for a long time?

I don't know how old your children are but there's a number of children orientated theatre productions in London during Christmas (pantomimes and other Christmas stuff).

Not physical presents but certainly something that would probably be different to any other gift they're receiving this year.

Perhaps your family in the UK can give suggestions about activities/events/experiences for your children.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off to the UK on the 8th (arrive 9th) and fly back 17th .. yeah i know just have to be different but my 2 youngest are coming back with me and staying till Jan 4th !!

61 days and counting !!

Jan
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Instead of buying gifts, either in the US or in the UK, what about giving them an experience they'll remember for a long time?

I don't know how old your children are but there's a number of children orientated theatre productions in London during Christmas (pantomimes and other Christmas stuff).

NC Penguin
OH NO THERE ISN'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:40 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin

Not physical presents but certainly something that would probably be different to any other gift they're receiving this year.

Perhaps your family in the UK can give suggestions about activities/events/experiences for your children.
Ohhh yeahhhhh! I'd forgotten about pantomimes. That'll be right up their street, as they will be 6 and 8. My mum would love to take them to something like that too. Something I want to do is go to the Tower of London and the London Eye.
I guess this is the year to try and show them that Xmas isn't about getting the biggest pile of presents possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those parents who feel they need to buy the entire stock of Toys R Us to just to keep little johnny happy, but this years pressy tally will have to be drastically cut in order to fit them in the suit case.
I think (hope) the whole excitement of the trip will be a great distraction from to the presents.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:57 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
OH NO THERE ISN'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes there is !!!!!!!
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of

I'm not an expat, but engaged to a wonderful man who lives in Newcastle.

So I'll be flying over from DFW to NCL via Gatwick on Dec. 20-21, and coming back Jan. 2nd. There's nothing quite as wonderful as spending Christmas with your loved one. And NEXT year (god and the BCIS willing) we'll be trimming our own tree in Dallas together
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Chessiet
I'm not an expat, but engaged to a wonderful man who lives in Newcastle.

So I'll be flying over from DFW to NCL via Gatwick on Dec. 20-21, and coming back Jan. 2nd. There's nothing quite as wonderful as spending Christmas with your loved one. And NEXT year (god and the BCIS willing) we'll be trimming our own tree in Dallas together

One thing we are looking to get is the electric Bing Crosby singing white xmas from JC Penneys.

The ghost of Xmas tack !
Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:00 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We're going back on the 17th - Houston - LGW - Newcastle with BA (uh-oh...). Staying till the 7th Jan - 3 weeks! Going to spend most of the time in North Yorkshire at my mums, but the whole family (about 18 of us including sisters, brothers in law, nephews, nieces) are all off to Oasis in the Lake District for a week over New Year - we were there 2 years ago and it snowed - gorgeous! Can't wait - really looking forward to showing off the new son (he'll be 1 in January) to the family and friends. And his big brother who will be 2.5 at Xmas and is at a real cute stage at the moment (our dose of terrible twos seemed to last about a week - unless its going to bite us in the arse/ass later....probably at 30000' mid atlantic ). And the highlight of his trip will (hopefully) be his surprise trip to see THomas the Tank Engine on the North York Moors Railway. Well, even if he doesn't enjoy it, I think yours truly will!

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Oct 9th 2003 at 1:32 am.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 2:05 am
my arm aches

I've just had a look at the local theatre to see what panto they have on this year, and er, having second thoughts now.......
Attached Thumbnails Who's Visiting the UK at Crimbo?-croydon.jpg  
Old Oct 9th 2003, 2:53 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Were getting it in early this year.
Flying over on the 23rd October for a couple of weeks.
Reason being it's my mothers 60th that week.

But to make up for it we are off on a Disney cruise the week before christmas.
I assume the ship will be decorated appropriatly.

Anyone in here been on one of these Disney cruises? They look pretty good but it would be nice to get the inside scoop from someone who has tried it before.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

We're flying BA from SFO to LHR on Dec 17th, returning Dec 31st. Our little guy will be 2 on Dec 29th, so we'll have Christmas and birthday presents to figure out... if we survive the 10 hour flight without committing infanticide

:scared:

Pat
Old Oct 9th 2003, 11:09 am
Essex Girl

HelenWebber is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going the other way! I am going from the UK to Chicago to be with my man for Christmas! Going fo 2 or 3 weeks. Kids can't wait!

Helen
Old Oct 9th 2003, 12:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Ohhh yeahhhhh! I'd forgotten about pantomimes. That'll be right up their street, as they will be 6 and 8. My mum would love to take them to something like that too. Something I want to do is go to the Tower of London and the London Eye.
I guess this is the year to try and show them that Xmas isn't about getting the biggest pile of presents possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those parents who feel they need to buy the entire stock of Toys R Us to just to keep little johnny happy, but this years pressy tally will have to be drastically cut in order to fit them in the suit case.
I think (hope) the whole excitement of the trip will be a great distraction from to the presents.
If you want to take ride on the London Eye, it's necessary to book your tix well in advance. There's a website. It's
http://www.ba-londoneye.com/

I rode on it back in Oct 01 and an adult ticket cost L8.50. The ride's about half an hour. If you ride on a clear day, you'll have a magnficent view over London.

NC Penguin