Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who's Stayin Who's Goin Home For Xmas:)

Who's Stayin Who's Goin Home For Xmas:)

Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:05 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's Stayin Who's Goin Home For Xmas:)

Originally Posted by Dan725
Going nowhere. Don't really care to either, to be honest, it'll be little'uns first Christmas and while she won't remember it, we will, and we'd rather not spend it travelling. To that end, this year it's going to be as British as possible, the inlaws will be coming here as opposed to us dragging around, we'll have a big Christmas dinner, watch the box and play games, and drink plenty of booze!

And I AM taking boxing day off, no matter what.
I always get laughed at here in the US when I mention Boxing day they look at me like I am wacked
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:10 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You flying from Chicago ? note the mid west on the profile.
Yep - $450 return
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I always get laughed at here in the US when I mention Boxing day they look at me like I am wacked
I have educated all my co-workers. I mean, its no fun drinking plenty of beer on Christmas Day if you've got to go to work the next!

It is funny, over here much more is made over Thanksgiving than Christmas as far as I can see.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:18 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yep - $450 return
You beat me by $70 bucks into LHR. BA
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:20 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

It is funny, over here much more is made over Thanksgiving than Christmas as far as I can see.
Yep - not sure why that is - I suppose the thing about Christmas is the whole build-up to the big day anyway, so maybe that's why.
That said I need my Boxing Day in the boozer for racing and footie in the afternoon, then off out to watch a game of rugby - somehow I don't think that'll catch on over here.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:21 pm
Thinking about it

You beat me by $70 bucks into LHR. BA
Flying to Dublin with AA - that seems good for BA though.
I have to ask - why are you flying on the 18th - could you not get a flight on the Friday or over the weekend or was the 18th cheaper ??
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:22 pm

Flying to Dublin with AA.
I have to ask - why are you flying on the 18th - could you not get a flight on the Friday or over the weekend or was the 18th cheaper ??
18th was Cheaper and I have to work the Friday.
Sister inlaws Birthday 4Oth on the 16th.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - not sure why that is - I suppose the thing about Christmas is the whole build-up to the big day anyway, so maybe that's why.
Aye - call me cynical, but Thanksgiving or more importantly "Black Friday" is the start of that build up. In true American style, when there be money to be made, go overboard! Soon as its spent and gone (i.e day after Christmas), thats it, shows over folks, time to pay off those bills!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:26 pm
Thinking about it

18th was Cheaper and I have to work the Friday.
Sister inlaws Birthday 4Oth on the 16th.
Just out of interest do the BA flights leave in the evening - all the ones to Dublin do which means its an overnight and you get in the next morning which saves wasting a day travelling if you know what I mean.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:29 pm

Just out of interest do the BA flights leave in the evening - all the ones to Dublin do which means its an overnight and you get in the next morning which saves wasting a day travelling if you know what I mean.
Mine leaves at 4.30 0r 20pm CST or something like that arrives 6.30am 19th Dec.
Another reason why I liked the flight nice times.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I have educated all my co-workers. I mean, its no fun drinking plenty of beer on Christmas Day if you've got to go to work the next!

I find that very strange as well, being as they seem to be far more religious than us, it is the mans birthday
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:37 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by britvic
I find that very strange as well, being as they seem to be far more religious than us, it is the mans birthday
Without wanting to start a row I'm sure the whole 'Holiday' thing, inspired by Jewish folk probably has something to do with it.
Its weird though - we have an office in Israel and those guys seem fine with it - its only some American Jews who seem to be quite belligerent about the whole thing which is odd as they seem quite happy to work on Friday's unlike their Israeli counterparts.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:19 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

leaving the hubby at work and me and the kids are off to the UK for a month on Dec 18th. Want to give them a family christmas involving the grandparents and also the santa thing - you dont get christmas here at all!

so - thanks to a 50% discount letter and airlmiles - we're off Virgin Upper Class for free almost to the UK ... arriving in sandals as none of us actually even has a pair of sneakers or shoes
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by islandmom
leaving the hubby at work and me and the kids are off to the UK for a month on Dec 18th. Want to give them a family christmas involving the grandparents and also the santa thing - you dont get christmas here at all!

so - thanks to a 50% discount letter and airlmiles - we're off Virgin Upper Class for free almost to the UK ... arriving in sandals as none of us actually even has a pair of sneakers or shoes
What you save on airfares you will use to buy warm cloths lol.
I hope it won't be snowing for your sacks
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:28 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

What you save on airfares you will use to buy warm cloths lol.
I hope it won't be snowing for your sacks
I know - no matter how excited the issue of the cold is BIG! kids have never experienced anything below about 22 degrees!

we've ordered clothes from the states we got last week so at least we'll be warm on our bodies - the feet are still an issue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.