Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who's a relative for countersignatory purposes?

Who's a relative for countersignatory purposes?

Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

hoyland54 is on a distinguished road
Default Who's a relative for countersignatory purposes?

I need to renew my passport and I am intending to have someone countersign my application (long story, but assume I am playing it safe here). A countersignatory can't be related to you by "birth or marriage" (according to gov.uk--I think the form says 'not a member of your family' or something). Does anyone know how broadly this is interpreted? Perhaps my easiest option is the (unmarried) partner of an in-law of a cousin, but a broad interpretation of 'related by marriage' would include this person.

Of course... I could just wait until I have a doctor's appointment. I feel kind of weird asking the doctor, but I guess that's no stranger than asking them to fill out a form for the school or whatever.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:32 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's a relative for countersignatory purposes?

An unmarried person who is not a blood relation or a blood relation of someone you are related to by marriage can't be related to you by birth or marriage.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

hoyland54 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Speedwell
An unmarried person who is not a blood relation or a blood relation of someone you are related to by marriage can't be related to you by birth or marriage.
Well, obviously. But I could imagine the British government viewing same-sex partners as 'related by marriage' even if they're not able to marry in the US. (Or Britain for that matter--presumably someone in a civil partnership with your brother (or whatever) is not allowed to be your countersignatory.)
Old Mar 27th 2013, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoyland54
Well, obviously. But I could imagine the British government viewing same-sex partners as 'related by marriage' even if they're not able to marry in the US. (Or Britain for that matter--presumably someone in a civil partnership with your brother (or whatever) is not allowed to be your countersignatory.)
In the eyes of the UK government are they legally married?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How would they know anyway what happens in the bedroom?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Has your appearance changed that much from the old photo? If you're recognisable, then you don't need to do it.

Other wise, just get the doctor, or local bank manager, or who ever to sign it.