Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who's good with US Taxes??

Wikiposts

Who's good with US Taxes??

Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's good with US Taxes??

Originally Posted by CarlM
That may be true, but see what their customers say!
They must all be be Republicans as they do not like paying taxes.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:47 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
They must all be be Republicans as they do not like paying taxes.
These are the Republicans who'd rather put it on the never-never for their kids than paying it when they've spent it, eh?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:53 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Whoooaaa!! Be very careful! Some of those tax treaties require you to retroactively pay those three years of tax if you stay in the US one day past three years. Better get ahold of that treaty and do some reading...
Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:42 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Who's good with US Taxes??

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
yes - you have to pay taxes in the USA on the income you have earned - its extremely probable that you have fulfilled a substantial precence test.

two things in life are certain death and ....... - you didnlt think you could get away without paying income tax?
yes - MOST, people working in the US have to pay taxes

Ant
Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:44 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't pay your taxes when you were suppose to and you can kiss your chances of a timely naturalization goodbye. Paying taxes is one of the requirements for US naturalization.
what if you are a tax excempt worker in the us - does that mean i couldnt apply for citeznship in the future is i want?

Ant
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:19 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Find an accountant. This is not rocket science for them and they are NOT expensive. Get some of your friends to recommend and accountant and ask them a few questions.

I've used the same accountant (after someone recommend him) and the amount he saves me FAR exceeds his costs. You'd be surprised as to what most people don't claim or don't know how to claim.

Try it for one year, I bet you won't be disappointed.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:42 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Find an accountant. This is not rocket science for them and they are NOT expensive. Get some of your friends to recommend and accountant and ask them a few questions.

I've used the same accountant (after someone recommend him) and the amount he saves me FAR exceeds his costs. You'd be surprised as to what most people don't claim or don't know how to claim.

Try it for one year, I bet you won't be disappointed.

Or if like me you go to HR Block premium serivice

And then get a check from the IRS saying I paid too much tax. If THEY say i paid too much then I'm sure I could have got even more back

Shitty HR Block
Old Nov 9th 2005, 2:32 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Shitty HR Block
It is why it's important to get references. If you find people whom are happy with their accountant - that's a good accountant... about 10 of my friends now use the same accountant and all are happy. Do your homework and it can be good.

I hear you on HR Block - if that's the choice, I'd rather do it myself.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 4:04 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

The tax treaty with the UK is that if you pay taxes in the US you don't pay tax on that same money in the UK and turned around the other way for UK earned income.
I thought it was a bit different than that ... that no, you can't be "taxed twice", but I thought that if you pay tax in one country at a lower rate than the other, the second country can ask you for the "difference", so to speak.

Of course, I could be talking out of my nether regions ...
Old Nov 9th 2005, 4:21 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that he's referring to the treaty that allows two years of research/teaching compensation to be exempted from fed tax. AFAIK, this does not affect state tax. You also have to retroactively pay tax on those two years if your stay in the US exceeds two years. I don't know the details - I never claimed under this treaty because I knew that I would be here more than two years and didn't want a huge tax bill.