Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who's good with US Taxes??

Who's good with US Taxes??

Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:05 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who's good with US Taxes??

Ok helpful kind folks, any ideas??

My AOS was in May 2005, and therefore throughout 2004 i was still classed as F-1 student? I had my EAD, and was working full time and studying part time but wasnt yes classed as resident.. i was in the grey area of 'wtf am i right now?'

Is my Federally adjusted income for 2004, $0, or is it my actual salary? I understand due to a tax treaty non-residents who worked in US less than 3 yrs were federally adjusted to zero? My federal returns were filed as zero and accepted by the Feds, but my State returns (O-friggin-Hio) were re-adjusted back by the miserable gits to my actual salary. Any ideas if they are right or i am right, or if i should just shut up and be glad i got the Federal refund??

Muchos gracias!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:25 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's good with US Taxes??

Originally Posted by CarlM

My AOS was in May 2005, and therefore throughout 2004 i was still classed as F-1 student? I had my EAD, and was working full time and studying part time but wasnt yes classed as resident.. i was in the grey area of 'wtf am i right now?'

Is my Federally adjusted income for 2004, $0, or is it my actual salary? I understand due to a tax treaty non-residents who worked in US less than 3 yrs were federally adjusted to zero? My federal returns were filed as zero and accepted by the Feds, but my State returns (O-friggin-Hio) were re-adjusted back by the miserable gits to my actual salary. Any ideas if they are right or i am right, or if i should just shut up and be glad i got the Federal refund??

Muchos gracias!
did you pay taxes in the UK on your income?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:38 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
did you pay taxes in the UK on your income?
I didnt, as i didnt have any UK income - ive been here full time since 08/2002.. I filed a UK return in 2003 (although i was here as F-1!) and was previously PAYE anyways, told the UK i was here now, and they havent required me to complete one back in blighty since.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:41 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Muchos gracias!
I would have thought you were resident for tax purposes. I've never heard of that 3 year thing, but usually in any situation like that if you stay beyond that time period you would normally be responsible for paying the tax for that time you were exempt.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:46 pm
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by neil
I would have thought you were resident for tax purposes. I've never heard of that 3 year thing, but usually in any situation like that if you stay beyond that time period you would normally be responsible for paying the tax for that time you were exempt.
Im thinking youre right - ill just spend the federal one on a new Plasma telly and forget State!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:46 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt, as i didnt have any UK income - ive been here full time since 08/2002.. I filed a UK return in 2003 (although i was here as F-1!) and was previously PAYE anyways, told the UK i was here now, and they havent required me to complete one back in blighty since.

yes - you have to pay taxes in the USA on the income you have earned - its extremely probable that you have fulfilled a substantial precence test.

two things in life are certain death and ....... - you didnlt think you could get away without paying income tax?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:47 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Im thinking youre right - ill just spend the federal one on a new Plasma telly and forget State!

er - you have to pay both

Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:48 pm
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
er - you have to pay both

I already did - but Federal accepted my adjusted income and gave me a bit of a refund, and State didnt!.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:51 pm
Mr. Grumpy

I already did - but Federal accepted my adjusted income and gave me a bit of a refund, and State didnt!.

cool!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of the zero tax plan you spoke of and yes you should have filed and paid taxes on your US income in the US. If it fell below the guidelines for tax due then you were free and clear and would have received a refund of any taxes withheld by the employer.

The tax treaty with the UK is that if you pay taxes in the US you don't pay tax on that same money in the UK and turned around the other way for UK earned income.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

that does not mean that the tax return was correct. The federal government has a number of years to come after you. Perhaps your income was under the guidelines for the federal government but over the income requirement for the state. That might be why there is an issue.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:54 pm
Concierge

Don't pay your taxes when you were suppose to and you can kiss your chances of a timely naturalization goodbye. Paying taxes is one of the requirements for US naturalization.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:54 pm
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by Rete
Never heard of the zero tax plan you spoke of and yes you should have filed and paid taxes on your US income in the US. If it fell below the guidelines for tax due then you were free and clear and would have received a refund of any taxes withheld by the employer.

The tax treaty with the UK is that if you pay taxes in the US you don't pay tax on that same money in the UK and turned around the other way for UK earned income.
Thaks Rete-y sweetie!.

Ive paid and filed every year, i was just seeing if i could get any more back!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the IRS are very good at this, they are highly rated by the Government.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:08 pm
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by tony126
I think the IRS are very good at this, they are highly rated by the Government.
That may be true, but see what their customers say!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.