Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who's done their taxes yet?

Who's done their taxes yet?

Old Jan 19th 2014, 2:48 am
Just Joined

FuzzyGrand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who's done their taxes yet?

Best to get it done as early as possible to reduce the chance of identity theft.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...efund/4500275/
Old Jan 19th 2014, 4:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
Using the IRS rate on an FBAR is not an uncommon mistake. I will admit to doing the same for many years before being made aware of my error.

FBAR is a Treasury form, not an IRS form. According to the instructions, you must use the Treasury rate for 31 Dec. Does it really matter? I suppose if the amounts are in the 8 figure range, it might.

The real 'oops' moment comes for those who must complete Form 8938. It's part of your 1040 return, on which you use the IRS unofficial rate, but the instructions for 8938 say you must use the Treasury rate for 8938. Therefore, one rate on all the 1040 info, and Treasury rate on the asset reporting. Of course, when you die, the IRS will look at the 8938 and say your estate should be match those figures. Hmmm.....
It's very easy to over-complicate the form 8938 and FBAR. It is not routine for the IRS to cross check these forms against other data unless as part of an investigation for tax evasion. An estate tax return will never match exactly to form 8938 since they represent different dates.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's very easy to over-complicate the form 8938 and FBAR. It is not routine for the IRS to cross check these forms against other data unless as part of an investigation for tax evasion. An estate tax return will never match exactly to form 8938 since they represent different dates.
For 8938, an estate will never match anyway since the taxpayer must declare far more assets on 8938 than the banks, etc. have to report to the IRS as part of FATCA, and other assets are not included on the 8938. Sorry, it was just me stirring the pot. I'll use the [/satire] next time.

If you do happen to be aware of the instructions, you might as well follow them.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

The IRS has anew service for downloading your previous tax returns.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

However I got a bit worried when it wouldn't let me register as it said my info didn't match what they had on file. After hearing from others I feel this is an error.
Some of you may like to look at it.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Have used TurboTax for many years, but prefer going to a professional this year;

- sold a number of stock options due to company acquisition
- received inheritance from mother's estate

Normally I overpay my taxes and get a big fat refund, which covers my annual property tax. I know overpaying is not advised, but making sure I have guaranteed coverage of my tax allows me to sleep peacefully, and that is priceless.

However due to the stock options and inheritance, last years taxes are significantly more complicated. And no more big fat refund this year.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:36 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Mine are all done and waiting to be filed.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still waiting on a couple of forms before doing my taxes with TT, but I have filed FBAR online this year.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:06 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
The IRS has anew service for downloading your previous tax returns.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

However I got a bit worried when it wouldn't let me register as it said my info didn't match what they had on file. After hearing from others I feel this is an error.
Some of you may like to look at it.
Hotscot, it's the same mechanism they use to determine your identity as what the credit unions use when you try to obtain your free credit reports online. The credit union system appears to believe I had a bankruptcy even though I have never filed one and one does not actually show on my record when it is generated. There are mistakes. I was fortunate enough to be able to answer the Get Transcript questions satisfactorily, though I expected to be turned away.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We've just received the student loans info for the missus so will try and get this done soon.

Local library doesn't have Federal 1040's, but it does have all the rest of them it seems, including state and some of the instructional booklets. Will be printing the forms from the IRS site I guess this year.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Having just had a total fantasy estimate from the Big Four firm that did ours last year (as part of our relocation) for around $3k, I've decided to have a go at this myself for 2013 with Turbotax. I'm pulling together docs and just waiting for the W-2 and some 1099s, which should be here by mid-Feb.

The tax return will cover:
- one regular salary
- bank account interest
- a small dividend payment received on an index tracker I bought
- buying a house and deducting property taxes/ mortgage
- a RSU vesting in March and selling the stocks in May
- exercising some NQ stock options
- foreign-wise, we're in for FBAR but not 8938 this year, having spent all the money on a house

That shouldn't be too hard, should it... <small hopeful voice tails off> I'm pretty sure I understand what Turbotax is likely to ask me (it'll be the Premier version, with the stock stuff). All the relevant tax was withheld, so it's just the reporting of it to get straight; I'm not expecting a whacking bill.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I have been studying so I'm hoping to claim a credit for that. I downloaded my 1098T showing the 2013 fees I paid from the college website. I haven't yet started making payments on my loan, do I need to enter/retrieve any info related to that? I assume next year when I start making payments, the interest paid is deductible.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
We've just received the student loans info for the missus so will try and get this done soon.

Local library doesn't have Federal 1040's, but it does have all the rest of them it seems, including state and some of the instructional booklets. Will be printing the forms from the IRS site I guess this year.
When I had a job, I didn't mind printing forms and instructions etc. since I did it at work. Now I'm retired, I had to buy a printer, ink cartridges etc., I try to minimize what I print at home. (I went in to work a week or two after retiring, to confirm I still had all my privileges, network access etc. which I'm entitled to as emeritus. I do. Just one thing was different. They took away my printing privileges. BASTARDS.)

One decent thing about the IRS, they will mail forms and instructions to you. I put in an order for everything I thought I'd need, they mailed some and back ordered the rest ..
Old Jan 28th 2014, 11:57 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Question regarding student loan interest. I have a student loan with HSBC back in Blighty for study in the US. Obviously I don't have a 1098-E for this. Is there any way I can actually claim this? Anyone done this before?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 12:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Question regarding student loan interest. I have a student loan with HSBC back in Blighty for study in the US. Obviously I don't have a 1098-E for this. Is there any way I can actually claim this? Anyone done this before?
We've not been able to, though with a different bank and studying in the US.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 12:23 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
We've not been able to, though with a different bank and studying in the US.
Reading this suggests you should be able to providing it was for legit expenses, but there is no clear guidance on how you'd go about it.

ETA: Reading a bit more, it seems if you can get some documentation stating how much interest you paid over the year (and converting that to dollars) you'll be good to go.

Last edited by zargof; Jan 29th 2014 at 12:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.