Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whoops! Surprise pregnancy prior to immigration

Whoops! Surprise pregnancy prior to immigration

Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Amijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to all
Default Whoops! Surprise pregnancy prior to immigration

Looks like hubby and I got an extra souvenier in Vegas...

To recap: I've got US citizenship and we're applying for a spouse's immigrant visa for my husband. We were looking to move soon as his visa came through (we're were expecting around late April/early May), but now it looks like we'll have an extra addition to the family around July.

I don't want my pregnancy to put us off moving. I realise there's a lot more to organise, but my primary questions are: I doubt I'll be able to apply for health insurance to cover the birth, so how much would a birth cost in the US? Should I aim to have the baby here and move afterwards? Look to find a home, get moved, come back here for the birth then move permanently stateside? We could afford a good chunk of cash on a stateside birth, which would also mean I wouldn't have to apply for citizenship for the baby, but obviously every dollar saved is a good idea when starting a family. How difficult is it to apply for US citizenship for a child born in the UK, once in the US?

Any advice?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whoops! Surprise pregnancy prior to immigration

Originally Posted by Amijoe

To recap: I've got US citizenship and we're applying for a spouse's immigrant visa for my husband. We were looking to move soon as his visa came through (we're were expecting around late April/early May), but now it looks like we'll have an extra addition to the family around July.

I don't want my pregnancy to put us off moving. I realise there's a lot more to organise, but my primary questions are: I doubt I'll be able to apply for health insurance to cover the birth, so how much would a birth cost in the US? Should I aim to have the baby here and move afterwards? Look to find a home, get moved, come back here for the birth then move permanently stateside? We could afford a good chunk of cash on a stateside birth, which would also mean I wouldn't have to apply for citizenship for the baby, but obviously every dollar saved is a good idea when starting a family. How difficult is it to apply for US citizenship for a child born in the UK, once in the US?

Any advice?
AFAIK even an uncomplicated birth would set you back around twenty grand. God only knows if there were complications...

Check out UK-Yankees for how to register your child as a USC - I believe it is easy.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Amijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to allAmijoe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elvira
AFAIK even an uncomplicated birth would set you back around twenty grand.
Yep, was worried it'd be circa that, if not more. Although we *could afford it (just), it seems a bit silly with the good ol' NHS here and only a matter of months between the birth and when we wanted to move, plus that's 20k to spend on baby stuff. I guess I need to also figure out whether it'll be easier to move when heavily pregnant or with a baby!

Ever get the feeling fate's trying to complicate things for you??
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The cost for my daughter and son in law in Las Vegas for natural childbirth with no complications was under $5,000 with a discount for paying in cash.

This fee included the hospital (2 days), birthing room, nursery for the baby, all testing and meds and the OB's fee which they were able to make monthly payments on prior to birth and which was also discounted.

I believe there was an additional charge of a few hundred dollars because my daughter had gastroldiabetes <SP> during her pregnancy and required a second ultrasound.

However, others here had paid far more (2 to 5 times more) for an uncomplicated pregnancy.

I would suggest you remain in the UK until the child is born and able to travel. Once the IR visa is received it does not have to be activated immediately.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

BTW all you need to do is register the baby's birth with the US Consulate. If you qualify to pass on US citizenship, then your child is an automatic USC even if not born on US soil.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
If you qualify to pass on US citizenship, then your child is an automatic USC even if not born on US soil.
Hmm, not sure I qualify as I wasn't born in the US and haven't lived there for years. Will have to do some digging around.

Thanks for your reply - I think you're right, even if I can get a 'bargain birth' it makes sense to make full use out of the NHS before we go, as I certainly haven't had my money's worth out of it so far!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, .........it makes sense to make full use out of the NHS before we go, as I certainly haven't had my money's worth out of it so far!
Charming!!! :curse:

Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice?
God, don't even contemplate moving here and think you can pay for a normal labor and delivery, let alone a complicated one. Stay where you are and have the baby there. Save your money, you'll need it once you move here. All you do is take the baby's British birth certificate down to the US embassy and get a new one and a US passport - very easy.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

it makes sense to make full use out of the NHS before we go, as I certainly haven't had my money's worth out of it so far!
What money?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice?
It's free in California. Technically, you are supposed to have lived in that state for at least six months, but when I was on my placement in labour & delivery in a LA hospital, none of the Mexicans who came over the border to deliver had been there for that long.....and they got it for free.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

bloody hell i am gobsmacked and it takes a lot for me to be gobsmacked....
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:01 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Whoops! Surprise pregnancy prior to immigration

Yep, was worried it'd be circa that, if not more. Although we *could afford it (just), it seems a bit silly with the good ol' NHS here and only a matter of months between the birth and when we wanted to move, plus that's 20k to spend on baby stuff. I guess I need to also figure out whether it'll be easier to move when heavily pregnant or with a baby!

Ever get the feeling fate's trying to complicate things for you??
Congratulations on your unexpected pregnancy!

Note that airlines have restrictions on heavily pregnant passengers flying with them and in any case you normally need to provide a letter from your doctor after 28 weeks stating that you are in good enough health to fly.

This is from BA:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ant+passengers

Other airlines may have different rules, so do check before booking any flights.....especially if you discover you are expecting twins or more....
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What money?
Originally Posted by Deedee13
bloody hell i am gobsmacked and it takes a lot for me to be gobsmacked....
What's the upset, chicks?

OP is dual UK/US and lived her life in the UK. Why should she not treat the NHS like everyone else does?

OP: if your child is born in the UK you may have to get an immigrant visa for her before you move. I believe the way it works is she'll get her USC on arrival, but she has to arrive as an immigrant (this is if you don't qualify to pass on citizenship because you haven't lived in the US for the required time after age 14).
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
What's the upset, chicks?

OP is dual UK/US and lived her life in the UK. Why should she not treat the NHS like everyone else does?

OP: if your child is born in the UK you may have to get an immigrant visa for her before you move. I believe the way it works is she'll get her USC on arrival, but she has to arrive as an immigrant (this is if you don't qualify to pass on citizenship because you haven't lived in the US for the required time after age 14).
I was just curious what money she was talking about? And if its tax money, how much goes towards the NHS?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are the baby will be a USC, so that's easy.

Problem might just be answered by how far along the airlines are willing to fly you, but the NHS is pretty good for babies, certainly with support afterwards which you don't tend to get over here....and having a baby in the US, depends on where in the country and if you can negotiate a rate before hand, could cost anything from $5K-30K but a standard quick birth would be more towards the middle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.