British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wholesale Stores (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wholesale-stores-385580/)

Bob Jul 18th 2006 4:26 pm

Wholesale Stores

So what one's do you have, what are they like and what about membership?

We've just found BJ's, what a name eh, but it looks just like Sam's club, so we're just joined as we couldn't find a Sam's Club around here, though there is a Costco about 15 miles away, somewhere...

Sarah Jul 18th 2006 4:31 pm

Re: Wholesale Stores

Originally Posted by Bob

We've just found BJ's, what a name eh, but it looks just like Sam's club, so we're just joined as we couldn't find a Sam's Club around here, though there is a Costco about 15 miles away, somewhere...

"Only shop in stores with concrete floors." Thats what I heard some money guru on CNN tell people in order to save money.

However we only have a Sam's Club and I'm not giving walmart any more money than I have to.

I find stealing is the best way I have found thus far to save money.

cabritpop Jul 18th 2006 4:31 pm

Just consider yourself lucky, My nearest Sam's Club or anything like it is about 160 miles away.

franc111s Jul 18th 2006 5:28 pm

Good question. Here's some facts that make Costco brilliant.

1. You can return anything anytime for any reason. Although normally six months is the reasonable limit, I saw a program when a bloke returned a mop after 2 years saying it wore out to soon. Practically, though, they are BRILLIANT. If you have something that craps out after 2 years and it should last 5, they WILL take it back.

2. THey actually buy their goods wholesale and mark up the price 20% (or was it 30%). Either way, what it means is, they won't scam you by charging MORE just because they can. It's a club, we are all members. This means you rarely, if ever need to shop around. The price you see is 20% on top of what they paid.

3. If you see something you like, BUY IT THERE AND THEN. All too often, my wife and I see something, go home to think about it and then go back to find it sold out. You can always return it BUT BUY straight away.

4. I am in IT. Their camera, memory, techno prices are the best, always.

I have their gold membership card. Costs $100 a year but I spend so much I always get a lot more back.

dan_alford Jul 18th 2006 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

I guess we are spoiled here in Memphis with 4-5 Sams and 2 Costco's. Wife and I have the Costco membership and her parents have the Sam's. That way we can shop in both and get the best of both worlds.

Jerseygirl Jul 18th 2006 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by franc111s
Good question. Here's some facts that make Costco brilliant.

1. You can return anything anytime for any reason. Although normally six months is the reasonable limit, I saw a program when a bloke returned a mop after 2 years saying it wore out to soon. Practically, though, they are BRILLIANT. If you have something that craps out after 2 years and it should last 5, they WILL take it back.

2. THey actually buy their goods wholesale and mark up the price 20% (or was it 30%). Either way, what it means is, they won't scam you by charging MORE just because they can. It's a club, we are all members. This means you rarely, if ever need to shop around. The price you see is 20% on top of what they paid.

3. If you see something you like, BUY IT THERE AND THEN. All too often, my wife and I see something, go home to think about it and then go back to find it sold out. You can always return it BUT BUY straight away.

4. I am in IT. Their camera, memory, techno prices are the best, always.

I have their gold membership card. Costs $100 a year but I spend so much I always get a lot more back.

Did you steal the post I just wrote?

Costco is brilliant and the CEO only takes about $300K pa in salary. The staff are treated very well and they receive excellent Healthcare benefits. They will help you through the checkout and into the car with bulky/heavy items and are not allowed to accept tips.

BTW I saw a woman returning a gallon container of milk...which had about an inch of milk in the bottom...saying that she didn't like it.

TouristTrap Jul 18th 2006 5:42 pm

My Costco is miles away. They built it in the middle of bloody nowhere, don't know what they were thinking.

Kate2112 Jul 18th 2006 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
My Costco is miles away. They built it in the middle of bloody nowhere, don't know what they were thinking.

they were probably thinking boy real estate is cheap around here

britontour Jul 18th 2006 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
I find stealing is the best way I have found thus far to save money.

Well didn't Walmart say they were not going to prosecute for anything less than $25 bucks stolen from their stores, not that I would do it anyway. :rolleyes:

britontour Jul 18th 2006 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
BTW I saw a woman returning a gallon container of milk...which had about an inch of milk in the bottom...saying that she didn't like it.

Probably cost more in gas to return it.

franc111s Jul 18th 2006 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by britontour
Probably cost more in gas to return it.

Ain't that the truth. But I think you meant Petrol. But that's OK cause it's not a real gallon anyway and I don't want to cry over spilt milk ;)

Hiro11 Jul 19th 2006 12:12 pm

I have Costco and Sam's Club memberships. Costco is superior in every way.

Lynne Jul 19th 2006 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I have Costco and Sam's Club memberships. Costco is superior in every way.

I agree. We used to have both once Costco opened here, but in the last year dropped Sams.

Some months back there was an article circulating about prescription charges and how they were a lot cheaper from Costco. The article also said that you don't have to be a member to use Costco's pharmacy. I just don't think of taking prescriptions into Costco.

I try not to go to Costco too often as it tends to cost me almost an arm and a leg. My husband jokes with the cashiers that if you don't spend more than $100 a flashing light and siren go off and you are told to go round again until the bill gets to $100.00. I don't know anyone who goes in there and comes out spending less than that. :D

Titchski Jul 19th 2006 12:31 pm

I excitedly joined BJ's Wholesale Club when it opened.

Needless to say I was disappointed when I first went there :p

TN-Dave Jul 19th 2006 12:40 pm

We use Sam's Club as it's the only place around here like it........ I'm not driving all the way to Nashville for Costco.... It's great as long as you want 8lb bags of spaghetti and 10lb bags of mince. Their books are cheap though....

As their founder's motto is "Pile it high, sell it cheap" I figured you can't go too wrong.... LOLOLOL