Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wholesale building supplies

Wholesale building supplies

Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:40 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wholesale building supplies

Hi all,

Doing a favour for a friend in the UK. Does anybody know a company that would ship building supplies to the UK? I am googling like mad but getting nowhere. Obviously with the poud to dollar return he is keen on importing. Mostly kitchen stuff and quite large orders, large enough for it to be worth his while.

ANyway, any thoughts appreciated.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wholesale building supplies

Have you tried http://www.alibaba.com?

It's the website that factories in China use to get in touch with wholesalers and retailers in the West. You can get it direct from the source. Great for bulk orders of basically anything.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:20 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Have you tried http://www.alibaba.com?

It's the website that factories in China use to get in touch with wholesalers and retailers in the West. You can get it direct from the source. Great for bulk orders of basically anything.
Thanks for that, I will have a look and let him know
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:39 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Thanks for that, I will have a look and let him know
Good luck. Alibaba is an unbelievable resource for stuff. The guy who founded it is one of the first Chinese internet billionaires.

I've also used them to bulk order rugby kits for a local side and other things. Really does have everything...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:39 pm
Bugger Off!

Good luck. Alibaba is an unbelievable resource for stuff. The guy who founded it is one of the first Chinese internet billionaires.

I've also used them to bulk order rugby kits for a local side and other things. Really does have everything...
Looks good. And are they very reliable?

PS - cant seem to see prices? Or am I just not looking hard enough?

Last edited by Silly Sod; Feb 4th 2008 at 5:54 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:53 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

If you need rugby stuff, then talk directly to Jason at tightfiverugby. Tell him the english guy from the rochester team sent you and he'll hook you up
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Looks good. And are they very reliable?

PS - cant seem to see prices? Or am I just not looking hard enough?
No, the prices aren't necessarily there like Amazon. It's all a dance. Negotiations and the like. Send an email and you'll get back a quote a few times larger than you would expect. Visibly cc' the email to everyone you are talking to over there and then you'll scare them into a more realistic price.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:03 pm
Bugger Off!

No, the prices aren't necessarily there like Amazon. It's all a dance. Negotiations and the like. Send an email and you'll get back a quote a few times larger than you would expect. Visibly cc' the email to everyone you are talking to over there and then you'll scare them into a more realistic price.

Not sure what you mean by everyone over there? Do you mean copy them into mail I might send to other suppliers? Scare them into competing? And anther question, as it is almost 15 yuan to the GBP does that mean things work out cheap as chips? Or are there huage! import taxes? Sorry mate, many questions ha ha. I am already thinking of investing in a shite load of MP3 players and other electroincs when I get settled in the UK, might make a quick buck. ANyway, thanks so far. If you wnat you could pm me at some point with any advice you might have regarding dealing with them?