British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Who is the BE removal company of choice these days? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/who-removal-company-choice-these-days-771050/)

TimNiceBut Sep 9th 2012 9:20 pm

Who is the BE removal company of choice these days?

Looks like I may actually be able to finally sell my house in the UK. Not counting the chickens before they roost, but so far it isn't looking too bad...

Anyway, if the sale goes through I have to get the rest of my cr*p from the UK to the US. It's not that much (it certainly wouldn't even cover the floor of a container) so I would need to probably get it over here in some sort of shared container. After following a lot of horror stories on here, can anybody recommend a decent mover for what's probably 1/2 a tranny van full of "stuff"?

GeoffM Sep 10th 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Who is the BE removal company of choice these days?

Shared containers will take longer (they have to get enough customers going to the same region to fill it up) but it doesn't sound like that's an issue for you anyway. I bet if you looked through previous threads you'd find at least one negative opinion for every removal company. FWIW I thought Pickfords were okay, despite several niggles.

It might make a difference if you're not there to observe the packing though. One of my packers was a spotty young oik and his packing was rubbish - but the others were reasonably good. At least if somebody's observing then that kind of situation can be limited.

TimNiceBut Sep 10th 2012 4:37 pm

Yes, the time it tasks isn't quite irrelevant but close to irrelevant. Most of the stuff that I need came over with the container that also had my bikes in it and that included pretty much all the fragile and valuable items.

Fortunately the items are in a friend's storage unit so at least he would have to be present, although I have to fly over there anyway to check that I don't leave anything behind that I want to keep so I might be there, too.

Bob Sep 11th 2012 2:02 pm

Doesn't matter who you use in the UK, it all depends on who they sub contract on the US end.

Find that out, check them over on the movingscam forum.

There are some recommendations here, but don't think to many of them were for people moving to NV, so they're probably pretty irrelevant to you.

The wiki does have a list of companies in the UK that people have used, so it's a starting point, but not a list of recommendations.

Adnams Sep 11th 2012 5:08 pm

We used crown worldwide international.. they have their own fleet in the Us. Mind you we were moving from Indonesia but i am sure they offices in the uk too. We found them brilliant.

TimNiceBut Sep 11th 2012 6:54 pm

@Bob, thanks for the suggestion. I've encountered some of the local movers here so your suggestion does suddenly make an awful lot of sense...

@Adnams, I think I've seen them in the UK. Shouldn't be too hard to find out if they'd cover both ends.