Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who needs to file FBAR??

Who needs to file FBAR??

Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who needs to file FBAR??

Originally Posted by lotte14
Thanks Robin,
Wow - I'd have never have though of reporting an oyster card - its not issued by a financial organisation!
I guess some of the problem is that there appears to be a profitable online scare industry geared towards terrifying everyone about fbar and muddying the water. The IRS generally produces some pretty good literature explaining tax etc - but there seems to be an absence of really good material for 8938/fbar - even if it just debunked some of the grey areas.
Yes, Oyster card is just a silly example. But I suppose if you have 45 savings bank accounts, and you're trying to get your count above fifty so you don't have to list the details, why not!

Edited; It is 25 accounts, not 50. If you have 25 or more accounts, you don't have to list them. (Just checked the form.)

And I agree, there is a scare industry in place, partly driven by accountants and other financial professionals who want to drum up business.

Last edited by robin1234; Mar 8th 2016 at 6:04 pm. Reason: Edited to correct my faulty memory..
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

oops I think I may have some PC World gift cards that I never put on my FBAR
Old Mar 8th 2016, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
you just check the box "I have over fifty accounts."
Which I'm sure is basically checking the box "please audit me."
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:10 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Figure I should ask if anybody has experience in this, my father passed away at the age of 83 unexpectedly last year, my brother and sister are planning on selling his house later this year. Once the house is sold and the estate settled I will have more than $10,000 in a UK bank account, so at that point does that mean I have to file FBAR once I have the money? (Basically as soon as it gets paid into the account planning on transferring)

Also as I will want to transfer the money over here is it better to transfer it all at once or to transfer less than $10,000 at a time.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
Figure I should ask if anybody has experience in this, my father passed away at the age of 83 unexpectedly last year, my brother and sister are planning on selling his house later this year. Once the house is sold and the estate settled I will have more than $10,000 in a UK bank account, so at that point does that mean I have to file FBAR once I have the money? (Basically as soon as it gets paid into the account planning on transferring)

Also as I will want to transfer the money over here is it better to transfer it all at once or to transfer less than $10,000 at a time.
Yes.

That's up to you but I would transfer it at a time when the exchange rate is beneficial...which it is not at present.

Edit...I would transfer it all in one transaction. Why would you want to send it $10K at a time?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 9th 2016 at 1:32 am.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:48 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes.

That's up to you but I would transfer it at a time when the exchange rate is beneficial...which it is not at present.

Edit...I would transfer it all in one transaction. Why would you want to send it $10K at a time?
Thanks, I had read somewhere that the limit was $10,000 for bringing into the country, did not know if that applied.

Another FBAR question I found in my father's papers a pension I took out years ago, I have no control over it other than claim it when I turn 65, would that have to be declared as well? I figure Dad always thought I was coming back all I know s approx £2,500 is now worth about £12,000. Confirmed I cannot touch it transfer it or even designate a beneficiary.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:19 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Which I'm sure is basically checking the box "please audit me."
And sorry, I edited my above post when I refreshed my memory after looking at the form. The threshold is 25 accounts, not 50.

Thing about checking the box and having a really easy report to file, is that you must keep good records in case a question does arise about your 25 or 30 accounts. They can audit you, but as long as any interest or other taxable income is reported appropriately, and full records exist of all accounts, it's a time waster all around but shouldn't otherwise cause a problem...
Old Mar 11th 2016, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

lotte14 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have another tedious fbar/8938 question.
I have an Australian account where my interest is taxed in Australia at 10% before that interest gets added to my balance. So when finding the max amount do I look at the biggest number on my statement and then add the tax back that was taken off the interest? I was just finished with everything when I thought of this!!!!!
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I have another tedious fbar/8938 question.
I have an Australian account where my interest is taxed in Australia at 10% before that interest gets added to my balance. So when finding the max amount do I look at the biggest number on my statement and then add the tax back that was taken off the interest? I was just finished with everything when I thought of this!!!!!
I take the instructions to mean literally the biggest number printed on a statement at any point during the year. Otherwise we'd all have to factor in imaginary virtual things, like the balance of pensions or mutual funds before the fees were deducted, or some such. As long as you're declaring the interest for US tax, I'd use the 'clean' number on the FBAR, etc.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
I take the instructions to mean literally the biggest number printed on a statement at any point during the year. Otherwise we'd all have to factor in imaginary virtual things, like the balance of pensions or mutual funds before the fees were deducted, or some such. As long as you're declaring the interest for US tax, I'd use the 'clean' number on the FBAR, etc.
Exactly my thoughts. When/if the Australian banks start reporting balances to the US as part of FATCA then it is the balance(s) that will be reported and compared against what the taxpayer has reported.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

lotte14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both very much. I think I've slightly lost my mind filling in these forms and trying to think of every eventuality. Perhaps a G&T is called for!
Old Mar 12th 2016, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

I think I've slightly lost my mind filling in these forms and trying to think of every eventuality. Perhaps a G&T is called for!
They do make you a bit like that, don't they - cheers! *clink*
Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

TCP_D is an unknown quantity at this point

I still have to do my FBAR paperwork and had some questions, I couldn't find anwers on the website, but after reading through these posts - my questions have been answered and I feel more confident about filling in the forms. I have a phobia about any form, but in particular tax and related forms! Thank you!
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:21 am
Just Joined

sicce is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
It is your responsibility to declare the gross interest you received in bank interest. So, if you got £80 interest from a British building society savings account, you need to gross it up (£100 probably?), and enter that amount in dollars in your 1040 schedule B, just the same as if it was interest from a domestic US bank account. If your UK bank is on the ball, they know you are a U.S. Taxpayer and will be passing your account details on th the U.S. Treasury. If, for whatever reason, your British bank doesn't know you are a U.S. Taxpayer, you should tell them.

I recently opened a current account with a British bank, and as part of the process, had to declare that I was a U.S. Taxpayer, and I filled out a U.S. Form W9, I think it was...

Edited; OK, sorry, I think I totally misread your post! I believe the answer is, you need to fill in the foreign tax credit form, if you want the IRS to give you credit for foreign tax paid.
How did you manage to open a UK current account, being a resident in the US. I am finding it difficult for any UK bank willing to open a UK bank account for a US citizen and non-resident in UK.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:27 am
Just Joined

sicce is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MsElui
remember you may also have to declare any other accounts that you control - so not just checks or savings but PENSION funds, shareholdings and the like. We have multiple accounts that hold more than 6k in pension funds as both husband and i moved jobs several times in the uk before we came here.
I had a private company pension that I was contributing too, prior to moving to the USA in 2007. Its frozen at the moment, I guess I will become eligible to withdraw from it when I turn 67. Do I have to submit a FBAR for the pension fund even if I am not getting any income from it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.