Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who needs to file FBAR??

Who needs to file FBAR??

Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who needs to file FBAR??

So if I move $200,000 (£100,000) from my US account to my UK account at rate of 2 USD to 1 GBP in July , if the rate is only $1.5/£1 on 31st Dec of the same year, I only report $150,000 on my FBAR

Thanks
Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I don't even do that. I just eyeball the accounts at end of year. Knowing the general trend of my three IoM accounts (income, expenditure) it takes me five minutes to pick a balance that I'm confident is the highest. For instance last year, we bought our flat. The day before I paid for it, was the highest balance in that account. Another smallish savings account, no movement except they pay interest once a year, so anytime after interest was credited was the highest balance.
Yes, it is very easy to pick out the highest balance with only a couple of accounts.

I keep a spreadsheet anyway to record the IRS taxable monthly savings account interest paid plus my UK pension (soon to be 2 pensions - Yay!) so it is a moment's work to record the highest balances each month while updating it.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
So if I move $200,000 (£100,000) from my US account to my UK account at rate of 2 USD to 1 GBP in July , if the rate is only $1.5/£1 on 31st Dec of the same year, I only report $150,000 on my FBAR

Thanks
Correct. Treasury just want a snapshot and no taxes are involved.

The IRS is after taxes for income received so they publish a different exchange rate which is the average for the year.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Yes, it is very easy to pick out the highest balance with only a couple of accounts.

I keep a spreadsheet anyway to record the IRS taxable monthly savings account interest paid plus my UK pension (soon to be 2 pensions - Yay!) so it is a moment's work to record the highest balances each month while updating it.
Unfortunately mine is not as simple , I have income and expenses going out of my account so in good months it goes up a lot , in bad months it can go down quite a bit. However it sounds like I only need to keep daily exchange rates for tax purposes and not FBAR.

You must express the amounts you report on your U.S. tax return in U.S. dollars. Therefore, you must translate foreign currency into U.S. dollars if you receive income or pay expenses in a foreign currency. In general, use the exchange rate prevailing (i.e., the spot rate) when you receive, pay or accrue the item.

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Inte...Exchange-Rates

Thanks

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 29th 2016 at 3:49 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Unfortunately mine is not as simple , I have income and expenses going out of my account so in good months it goes up a lot , in bad months it can go down quite a bit. However it sounds like I only need to keep daily exchange rates for tax purposes and not FBAR.

You must express the amounts you report on your U.S. tax return in U.S. dollars. Therefore, you must translate foreign currency into U.S. dollars if you receive income or pay expenses in a foreign currency. In general, use the exchange rate prevailing (i.e., the spot rate) when you receive, pay or accrue the item.

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Inte...Exchange-Rates

Thanks
I used to do exactly this but I learned that since my income is regular (monthly interest and pension), I can use the published IRS average. I do still actually record the spot rate using XE.com each month and do the conversions every month on the interest and pension when I received them but it is also a little higher so I save myself a bit of tax using the average IRS figure.

For my pension I have to create a substitute 1099-R and supporting document where I state that it is regular monthly payments and I use the IRS average rate to convert to $.

Since your income is irregular then I'm sure you should be using the spot rate.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Yes. You take the highest balance during the year in local currency (GBP in your example) and use the Treasury Rate of Exchange as at December 31st to convert it to USD for the FinCen report. It doesn't matter where the money has come from or gone.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraLou07
So... Just to clarify, if the most i had in my bank account at any given time during 2015 was 5000 i do not have to file FBAR?
No FBAR needed, as long as you don't have any other UK accounts at all - ISAs, pensions of any kind..?
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

LauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond repute

I had been automatically enrolled in a work pension, which i havent been paying into anymore since leaving the UK. Im guessing they will include this?
Old Feb 29th 2016, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

LauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond repute

If the amount that is in my pension and adding the 5000 which was the highest amount in my bank at any given time still doesnt come over 10,000 dollars will i need to file FBAR? Also, do people that have entered on a K1 and are currently waiting for AOS need to file?
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 10:49 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

So... Just to clarify, if the most i had in my bank account at any given time during 2015 was 5000 i do not have to file FBAR?
remember you may also have to declare any other accounts that you control - so not just checks or savings but PENSION funds, shareholdings and the like. We have multiple accounts that hold more than 6k in pension funds as both husband and i moved jobs several times in the uk before we came here.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Do i have to declare the AE pension even if the amount that i accumulated, plus the 5000 (which was the highest amount in my bank at any given time during 2015) doesn't go over the $10,000? I was only paying into the pension for roughly 3 years when i was automatically enrolled in it with work and i only paid in 9.00 a month.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Do i have to declare the AE pension even if the amount that i accumulated, plus the 5000 (which was the highest amount in my bank at any given time during 2015) doesn't go over the $10,000? I was only paying into the pension for roughly 3 years when i was automatically enrolled in it with work and i only paid in 9.00 a month.
You total the maximum balance in each relevant account through the year in the local currency. You convert this total to USD using the December 31st Treasury Rate of Exchange. If this exceeds $10,000 you have to submit an FBAR.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

lotte14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - I am new to FBAR filing and this site! I read somewhere that debit cards needed reporting. Does anyone ever do this? I have one tied to my bank account so it seems strange to report it all over again! Perhaps there are some exotic weird debit cards that do something more interesting than mine!!!!
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lotte14
Hi - I am new to FBAR filing and this site! I read somewhere that debit cards needed reporting. Does anyone ever do this? I have one tied to my bank account so it seems strange to report it all over again! Perhaps there are some exotic weird debit cards that do something more interesting than mine!!!!
No, that you wouldn't report, since (as you suggest) it's just a function of a bank account that you'll report anyway, so you wouldn't want to double count that account. However, if you had a "prepaid" card, with a cash balance on it, you'd probably report that, because the card itself represents a financial account.

Some of these stories about exotic accounts you have to report originate with people who want to maximise the number of accounts they own, because if you have a large number of accounts (over fifty is it?) you don't need to list their details, you just check the box "I have over fifty accounts."

For instance, some folks claim you have to list your TfL Oyster Card. Maybe it has a balance of £25 on it! BUT, is it a financial account? Not really...
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

lotte14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Who needs to file FBAR??

Thanks Robin,
Wow - I'd have never have though of reporting an oyster card - its not issued by a financial organisation!
I guess some of the problem is that there appears to be a profitable online scare industry geared towards terrifying everyone about fbar and muddying the water. The IRS generally produces some pretty good literature explaining tax etc - but there seems to be an absence of really good material for 8938/fbar - even if it just debunked some of the grey areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.