Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who Loves Where They Live...?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think for me (even though it gets cold here and I like it), if I were in your position, dealing with the cold would be greatly offset by the autumns in Vermont.

Would be better if we weren't in a big old drafty house or it was much better insulated
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:40 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Would be better if we weren't in a big old drafty house or it was much better insulated
Crap, I never thought of that. You're in that one part of the US that does actually have proper old houses.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

The first time I ever came I looked at the area I now live in and thought 'No bleedin way'

10 years on I'm livin the dream - I love it here and I aint going home. Big house, fancy cars and a huge garage full of cool stuff that would never fit in my 6 x 8 garden shed..

Happy days all round really.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 12:21 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I like where we live....not sure I'd go as far as "love", but I'm a one place man, and that place is North Yorkshire, with Singapore as my bit on the side. But we have a very comfortable life here, with family close by, and access to all we need, including "big city facilities" like theater, Ballet, museums and galleries without actually having to live in the city. We live in a nice subdivision, with plenty of space, and lots of water, which does quite a good job of distracting me from my biggest bugbear about where we are.....the lack of mountains, or even hills. I'm realistic enough to know that we're not likely to live anywhere with more relief before either the kids leave home, or the in-laws "move on", or possibly both, and that's ok. We have quite a big house, probably too big, and I'd like to downsize, but not going to win that one till the kids leave home, either! School district is supposedly good, and I like the climate.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 12:25 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Gimp
The first time I ever came I looked at the area I now live in and thought 'No bleedin way'
Ha...that rang a bell for the first time I drove down Mason Rd, which is where a lot of shops, restaurants, garages and things are, abot 7 miles from me...it really is not pretty, with all the typical signs, hoardings, cables everywhere....a right mess. Now I barely notice it, though fortunately I don't need to go there very often.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm tired of California. 15 years now. Didn't fully intend coming here in the first place, short term job that stretched. My heart belongs to Scotland.

However life has been good, career, marriage, citizenship, and have had a lot of fulfillment working and traveling. Still, I have that feeling I've been here too long and want to go home. I miss the pubs, food, country walking, music scene in the UK.

Most of all though, our plan is to live in the Trossachs, Perthshire or the Lake District, take semi retirement, (I run a scientific related business, wife is currently a teacher but also an author.) We'll stay in the UK long enough for her to get citizenship and we're also going to spend time visiting Europe, something I never did when I was younger. May stay in France for a year, or Italy.
Life's just one big adventure for us and we want to experience as much as we can.
That may/may not include moving back to the US however depending on the socio/economic/demographic blah blah blah in the next twenty years we want to keep that option open.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 10th 2014 at 1:19 am.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

"Love" is a bit strong, but I've grown to like San Diego, and feel more at home than I have for years. I went back to Finland for Christmas, cut the trip short and came back for New Year's, and clearly felt like I was coming back home from a visit, not the other way around. The weather did help though - Finland was just above freezing, dark, rainy and miserable, while SD was 70 degrees and sunny enough to get sunburned on New Year's Day in the park.

I wish San Diego was a real city (but then I can live four miles from downtown in a pretty awesome neighborhood), I wish the traffic wasn't so bad or that our office wasn't in the middle of an industrial wasteland so that I could live closer, I wish it wasn't so expensive (but then I get paid a lot more), I wish the bike infrastructure was better (but then I can ride all year round), but overall yeah life isn't bad.

I wouldn't stick around for long without my job though, which gives me both the money to live comfortably here and health insurance to fix me up when I break my elbow again...
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I like where we live....not sure I'd go as far as "love", but I'm a one place man, and that place is North Yorkshire
One place man - I grew up on the outskirts of Burnley so I am the opposite..as in 'anywhere else is better'
Old Jan 10th 2014, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

When my parents moved me to the Central Valley, I considered every day a waste of what should have been the better years of my life. A few years later, I moved to San Francisco for university, and it's a city much better than any other I've been to.

That being said, i can't see myself spending the rest of my life here, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'd want to go back to England - especially not back to the West Midlands - nor does it mean I want to stay in the USA.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Samxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond repute

Working in Manhattan is brutal, living in Jersey city can be scary and lonely. Just have to tell yourself that it's not forever.
Saying that it's still preferable to England, leastwise because I see the opportunities, feed on the positivity and relish achieving the longer term goal of retirement to Florida. Plus it doesn't rain every 'bleedin' day, the seasons are 'real' and I feel like I'm in a nation that still looks forward.......

Last edited by Samxboy; Jan 10th 2014 at 8:55 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Samxboy
Working in Manhattan is brutal, living in Jersey city can be scary and lonely. Just have to tell yourself that it's not forever.
An example of different strokes for different folks; when I was younger and working in Manhattan, I loved every day of it. Now I am happy to live in some beautiful countryside, but still be within commuter distance. When I spend a day in the city, I still fall under its spell!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:15 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a stretch to say I love it here, but I never have a feeling of "wish I was somewhere else", so I guess I like it here!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I am married to a US citizen... I could honestly be happy living in either country, but Grand Rapids is where 'I hang my hat'.

When I think of the most recommended places in the US to visit (or live) I think of New York or California or Miami, recently Grand Rapids MI was voted the most recommended place by Lonely Planet, I laughed when I first heard it then I read the reasons why and they actually had a lot of valid reasons now if I could get rid of the snow in winter and have universal health care I could say I love it here
Old Jan 11th 2014, 10:31 am
Just Joined

anton_ is an unknown quantity at this point

here is not very good, but not for everyone. if you have money and a good job then we can all live happily everywhere
Old Jan 11th 2014, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

we are more than happy here in good ol Floridia....a few small things make life 'interesting' mainly dealing with locals to whom work is a 4 letter word they don't like.

but we live in an area remote enough we can walk the dogs off leash with no hassle (even from the sheriff who drives past and waves),no neighbours (or bors) -nearest one is 300 yards away, so we can skinny dip at leisure. if we see 3 cars a day go past the house its rush hour.

the lifestyle is the key thing, yesterday we spent all afternoon on the beach watching a guy catch 2 sharks and a devil ray, then wifey helped rescue a pelican......we grill when we want too, live outdoors 99% of the time...yes the summer heat is brutal but far better than -crazy or 20 feet of snow.....and that's why they invented ice,beer,pools and AC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.