Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

cookie2112 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who Loves Where They Live...?

Originally Posted by beachgal21
I have found my experience in the US to be the same. After 13 years in Florida I haven't made any good friends, even though I'm a very sociable person, inviting people round for dinner, cards, drinks, pool parties etc. I've found Americans to be very shallow and only interested in you if there's something to be gained for themselves. We've just put our house up for sale and will be moving back to the UK when it sells. I don't regret moving to the US, it's been an experience and we've been fortunate that through our business we've traveled and spent time in most states. However, in my opinion the US isn't a patch on the UK, but I guess it's all to do with what you're looking for in life and it wouldn't do for us all to be the same
I empathise with your comments, I don't regret having experienced this at all. They say the sign of a good society is how well you look after the needy/sick/poor. Life out here seems far too selfish and self preservest (everyone out for no.1). IMO there is also relatively heightened levels of corruption, greed and intolerance.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

I miss Bristol and Bath a lot, but at least I go back to visit. Florida is a love hate relationship, I'm not a beach person and hate the humidity but love October to June, still gets hot but not like July, August & September. Also I miss silly things like live football, the pubs and the countryside. But I really have to admit to realizing how much of a difference getting up to the sun every day, makes so much of a difference to your life. I have no kids so no major ties to here, but I don't think I'd really want to go back to the UK to live anyway. I don't plan on retiring, unless I can't walk I guess! So I'm here for a long time yet, I guess there's worse places to live?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I guess you are from Derry. Back in the 80s a lot of people fled Derry because of the trouble there. A lot of bigotry went on due to ignorance and different beliefs. No where is perfect.
Of course I know all about the bigotry, ignorance, etc in Derry (and Belfast and other parts of Northern Ireland). I grew up there and lived there until 1977 before I moved to England. Why do you think I left? That said - this thread isn't about Northern Ireland - it's about the US (Who loves where they live?). A couple of people posted how much they liked living in Georgia. I lived there for 3 years, didn't like it and responded so - big deal!! They liked living there, I didn't!! You lived there - you liked it and I didn't! You like the South - I don't!! What does it matter? You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine!! It would be a very dull world if we all shared the same opinions, likes, dislikes, etc, now wouldn't it? Enough said! End of story!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookie2112
I empathise with your comments, I don't regret having experienced this at all. They say the sign of a good society is how well you look after the needy/sick/poor. Life out here seems far too selfish and self preservest (everyone out for no.1). IMO there is also relatively heightened levels of corruption, greed and intolerance.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

What the heck, there's very little difference between Brits & Americans , so they eat different bacon, so what! I certainly don't lose sleep over things like that
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pupsiecola
Thanks everyone. It's just good to read that it does work out for some people. We don't have close family and when we lived in Asia last year we weren't really all that homesick. Only for things like a non-tropical climate, variety of scenery (we lived in Singapore), more living space than our tiny 3 bed condo would allow (which cost the same in rental as the 5 bed detached house we are currently renting).

My husband could pretty easily get a transfer with his company who are a US based household name globally. We could go to San Fran or Seattle, perhaps Boston. It would be a step up and he's more than ready for that.

The issue we keep coming back to is getting school right for our two boys, having had it go horribly wrong in Asia.

Thanks though for your encouraging posts.
One way to look at a bad school experience is that at least now you will have more information in the event of having to select another school.
We have been in Virginia for the last 20 years with four children born here and enjoy it.
Similarly to yourself we do not have any close family in the UK.
We still have a house in the UK but the USA is a better "fit" for us, both countries have their positive and negative aspects it is what suits you at the end of the day.
From your post on the UK forum it does sound like the USA may be worth some serious consideration at least.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind where I live. I am originally from the US, married a Canadian and moved to Canada in 2004, now divorced, and I did return to the US for 10 months, but I had spent so much time in Canada, I just didn't feel at home anymore in the US, and couldn't re-adapt to the lower wages and cost of healthcare..
Old Feb 14th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

I love North Georgia, but I admit I try not to dwell on the things I miss about the UK because i DO miss them and I could get down about it. But I suppose, if we packed up and moved to the UK, there's so much i'd miss about this place too. Home is where your heart is, so I choose to put my heart into making this my home.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

I like where I live, it's a small community in North Texas, about 70 miles North of Dallas. I have only met one person I don't like (our meth head former neighbor). I miss certain things about home like friends and family and certain products. I don't really like the summer heat here, but won't complain about days like today when I can wear a tee shirt in February. This area is Bible Belt and fairly right wing, that doesn't bother me too much (as you can probably guess from my signature), apart from the fact that I'm in UK terms on the right but here I'm more in the middle with special issues punching my towards the Republican point of view. I don't like the scenery here it's all flat pasture land. I like the fact that it's a bit more diverse here than at home. Al in all I'm fond of this place the people are good here and I like the lifestyle here.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Madelina
I love North Georgia, but I admit I try not to dwell on the things I miss about the UK because i DO miss them and I could get down about it. But I suppose, if we packed up and moved to the UK, there's so much i'd miss about this place too. Home is where your heart is, so I choose to put my heart into making this my home.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:50 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i came to Ohio with open eyes and loved it-settled very happily there. Then circumstances changed my husbands job required a move to dallas. I totally didnt want to go as was very happy, but i must say im liking it here too. I miss people and familiarity of knowing where things are but its cool here too.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i came to Ohio with open eyes and loved it-settled very happily there. Then circumstances changed my husbands job required a move to dallas. I totally didnt want to go as was very happy, but i must say im liking it here too. I miss people and familiarity of knowing where things are but its cool here too.
Actually it's not that cool but much hotter.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Actually it's not that cool but much hotter.
Yes - way hotter! This is the coldest winter I've known since moving here 22 years ago!
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 7:17 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yes - way hotter! This is the coldest winter I've known since moving here 22 years ago!
The first weekend we were in Dallas was the bizarro ice storm lol. we had not packed heavy coats or sweaters etc so we froze lol!
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 12:21 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
The first weekend we were in Dallas was the bizarro ice storm lol. we had not packed heavy coats or sweaters etc so we froze lol!
The first summer we moved to Houston was when Hurricane Alicia arrived, the worst hurricane at that time in recorded Texas history. (All of Galveston and a large part of Houston lost power for at least a week.

We lost power for 2 weeks that August, and with no AC or refrigerator we thought we were done for....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.