Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Who Loves Where They Live...?

Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who Loves Where They Live...?

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
In all seriousness, if the politics are important to you, stay west of the Cascades.
True.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here at the moment, life is more easy going and less anal than in the UK.

Everyone who has come over to visit has been amazed at the quaility of life we have here and actually mentioned that we would be foolish to move back. I've never said never but right now i can't see it happening. Every time I go back i find the UK depressing, its crowded, i get claustrophobic and the cost of living is insane. I see friends struggling, living in tiny spaces and worrying about their cars passing the next MOT.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
In all seriousness, if the politics are important to you, stay west of the Cascades.
I'd heard the exact opposite, but that appears to depend on your flavour of politics.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very happy in my little corner of the US. I've been here long enough that I've forgotten what life in the UK is like, and I move here at a young enough age that I feel as though my adult life has all happened over here. The country has moved on without me, and I've moved on without it. I'd consider a new country but I don't see any point in going home.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Of course if you get fed up with the US you don't just have the UK as move to option. You could easily select another EU country. The wife and I like watching the house hunters International program on HGTV channel. Its interesting to see what you could afford in other parts of the world, where you may want to retire etc.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in 6 countries before moving here in Atlanta over 7 years ago and can also say I am settled in nicely.
The last time I was back in the UK was 3 years ago for my mothers funeral. Having left the UK in 1978 when I was in my mid twenties I haven't called it home. My visits to the UK were infrequent as there are many other places to see and experience rather than having to visit all the relatives and get drawn into family disputes you know no background of.
The weather in the south-east of the US can be hot and humid in the summer but hey we don't have to shovel snow in the winter.
As like many others I have a USC wife but we were already married when we move to Atlanta having dragged her from the mid-west US to the Middle East some time before. I too like many had visited the US before moving here, having come over initially in 1973. I have worked for US companies almost all my life and even my time with a Japanese multinational came over for numerous meetings and factory visits so I guess you could say it wasnt alien to finally move here permanently.
Based on my personal experience the US is an easy place to live
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to see a thread where people say they actually enjoy living here. I don't feel quite so weird now
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

Wow. Thank you all so much for sharing your positive stories. I've really enjoyed reading them. Definitely good to get positive views to counter the negative ones.

Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Love where I am in North Central Florida. It's been a wonderful place for our kids to grow up and has great schools in our district. We have some really good friends here. Summer months can be brutal with heat and humidity but that's why we have ac. I would likely not ever have attained anywhere near our lifestyle in UK and couldn't even envisage going back there to live.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:23 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
I don't feel quite so weird now
You don't get off that easy.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Moved over to the USA 13 years ago.
Michigan for 7 years and now in Texas for 6. Can't imagine going back (and I'm not married to a USC)
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
...........the US is an easy place to live

If there someone has a problem "fitting in" in the USA then my own experience has been that the problem is that individual rather than the USA and the same problem will reappear where ever they decide to live.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casual Observer
If there someone has a problem "fitting in" in the USA then my own experience has been that the problem is that individual rather than the USA and the same problem will reappear where ever they decide to live.
.... Except wherever they came from. Some people just don't travel well.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:52 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
.... Except wherever they came from. Some people just don't travel well.
So true! Just as some can't stay in one place for too long at all well....

We're all wired differently. The secret is for each of us to work out our own needs, all the while recognising someone else's needs will be very different.

(This trips up some couples!)
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
So true! Just as some can't stay in one place for too long at all well....

We're all wired differently. The secret is for each of us to work out our own needs, all the while recognising someone else's needs will be very different.

(This trips up some couples!)
I am with you on this! I have only been here 3 years but OH has been here about 10 and last week he said out of the blue " I'm bored - let's go somewhere else"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.