Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who lives in Austin TX?

Who lives in Austin TX?

Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:08 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who lives in Austin TX?

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
Hmmm, I'm wondering if I can guess where you work, based on the angle of the pic. That's the Red Bridge, for sure. Probably Bridgepoint Parkway or thereabouts ... one of those high-falutin' tech firms, I should imagine!
Yeah, that was my guess too, though "up" on Shepherd Mountain or on the way to the top.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:31 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yes. It probably was the bridge then. It goes over the Colorado River on Loop 360/Capitol of Texas Highway.

There's an unwritten rule that every street / highway has to have at least two names if not more. That way we can confuse the out-of-towners.
I noticed that. When the concert had finished we walked to 6th street for a few more bevvies, then got into a taxi, even the bloody driver kept getting lost and had to whip out the old mapsco....we gave that guy so much grief (well he was russian)

my FIL said the next morning, that he had given the taxi driver directions over the phone and all he could hear was me shouting away in a druken stupor "get me some russian vodka"....I was pretty blitzed.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmm, I'm wondering if I can guess where you work, based on the angle of the pic. That's the Red Bridge, for sure. Probably Bridgepoint Parkway or thereabouts ... one of those high-falutin' tech firms, I should imagine!
Close, but no cigar! I'm in the Bridgepoint Plaza building, which is the large white building with stepped floors that you can see when heading north on 360, down the hill towards the bridge.

Sorry, Yosser, don't know Bee Caves well at all! I can relate to the taxi driver problem, though. The one and only time I tried using a taxi here, they got lost and took an hour to find my apartment, then couldn't find 6th street. I mean, what sort of Austin taxi driver can't find 6th street?

Back to my high-falutin' tech project, then...
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scorchio
Close, but no cigar! I'm in the Bridgepoint Plaza building, which is the large white building with stepped floors that you can see when heading north on 360, down the hill towards the bridge.

Sorry, Yosser, don't know Bee Caves well at all! I can relate to the taxi driver problem, though. The one and only time I tried using a taxi here, they got lost and took an hour to find my apartment, then couldn't find 6th street. I mean, what sort of Austin taxi driver can't find 6th street?

Back to my high-falutin' tech project, then...
I'll be passing by in an hour or so, on my way to Happy Hour at the lake!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

I'll be passing by in an hour or so, on my way to Happy Hour at the lake!
Nice...! Give us a wave, then.

Traffic doesn't look awful yet, on the stretch of 360 I can see!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 1:48 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Austin, too, and very nice it is. Plenty of green areas, and half the time you wouldn't know you're in a city.

Lunchtime at work at the moment, and a chance to play with my new cell phone - I'll point the camera out of my office window for you

Now, unless I've completely messed up the attachment stuff, you can just see the arch of the 360/Pennybacker bridge over the trees.
argh!!! not a slab of highway traffic stores etc in sight....hillbilly!!!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
argh!!! not a slab of highway traffic stores etc in sight....hillbilly!!!
I'll get me banjo...
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Yosser
couple of weeks ago, I took my wife down to Austin to watch Kenny Chesney (our 6th year wedding anniversary). After the show we stayed at her dads house, because it was dark and we were very drunk I couldn't see anything travelling along in the taxi cab.

The next day I woke up and her dads house was perched on a hill side, completely surrounded by trees, lush grass and baby deers, all you could see was roof tops in amongst the trees.

Driving back to Dallas there was a bike race must of been a couple thousand people on their racers, my wife claimed to of seen Lance Armstrong...perhaps it was as I know he has a house done there.

Anyways its one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, its up there with the coast road in Victoria (Australia) and Maui (Hawaii). Perfect fresh water streams and creeks.

I know the property is expensive down there but its a little piece of paradise in an otherwise bleak Texas landscape. I wouldn't mind living down there one day.

I'm in Austin, and I love it. I'm just up by Lake Travis.

Been here for just over a year now, which is why I dissapeared off of this forum. You know how it is putting a new life together. It's a nice place to live. I read last week that it is the second safest city on mainland america.

JimBo
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the rough

Nice...! Give us a wave, then.

Traffic doesn't look awful yet, on the stretch of 360 I can see!
Hi Scorchio,

I have to drive the 360 to and from work everyday and the hours that I work means that there is hardly any traffic at all when i'm on it

Jimbo
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo the Bimbo

I have to drive the 360 to and from work everyday and the hours that I work means that there is hardly any traffic at all when i'm on it
grrrrrr ......

I drive nearly the entire length of Mopac at peak hours (kids are in school so can't change the timing). Commute is the worst part of living here.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
grrrrrr ......

I drive nearly the entire length of Mopac at peak hours (kids are in school so can't change the timing). Commute is the worst part of living here.
Eeeeek! Mopac! My condolences
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo the Bimbo
Eeeeek! Mopac! My condolences
Yup, takes about an hour to drive the 20 miles to work.