British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Who likes it here (PART2) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/who-likes-here-part2-425052/)

para22 Feb 8th 2007 6:51 pm

Who likes it here (PART2)

Ive been here since 1982, origionally Im from Manchester.
I came here on a wrestling scholarship..and at the time I didnt really know what that was, I was that made up with getting the offer, I didnt realy explore it as much as I should have done.
I thought I was just going to attend the University, and represent them at wrestling. It never occured to me academics was involved as such. I thought Id be involved in teaching PE classes.

I was at Temple Univ in Philly..in fact my CSE s gave me 6 months of credits!

In any event I ended up in PA( philly suburbs) I had 4 offers and the only reason I chose PA was I had a reasonable idea of what the other 3 states were like..or I thought I did. I had just left the Army, and as far as I was concerned I was going to live where everyone (at the time at least ) wanted to live...I actually wanted to be a stuntman!

I have to leave out some details here or Ill bore you to death.
I ended up representing Gt Britain in the World freestyle Wrestling ch'ships in Toronto, and won a silver at 74k.

My background was also in Rugby League, and for the past 16yrs, I have been the conditioning coach for the US National squad.
. Its enabled me to travel the world freemans!...so ive be home a lot, and to Aussie, and various other places.

Anyway..do I like it here? Sometimes...and sometimes I dont. Ill never stop missing M/cr(my mum and sister are still there)...but its the intangibles that jump out of nowhere for me and make me miss England when I least expect it.

Top of the list I think is the humour... the piss taking.....in England you can be with a group of men and women in a given situation...and you can all share the same piss taking thought without a word being spoken..you know like say at work when some managerial wally is giving you a pep talk or something..Over here that doesnt happen.

Both my kids were born here, but they have a northern England type sense of humour,courtesy of yours truly..and its them that make it bearable over here.

Anyway, Ill wrap up now..im talking more than a yank!

God Bless to all, and Rule Brittania..and piss on being politically correct!

Elvira Feb 8th 2007 7:00 pm

Re: Who likes it here (PART2)

Originally Posted by para22 (Post 4379136)
..........its the intangibles that jump out of nowhere for me and make me miss England when I least expect it.

Top of the list I think is the humour... the piss taking.....in England you can be with a group of men and women in a given situation...and you can all share the same piss taking thought without a word being spoken..you know like say at work when some managerial wally is giving you a pep talk or something..Over here that doesnt happen.

Both my kids were born here, but they have a northern England type sense of humour,courtesy of yours truly..and its them that make it bearable over here.

Hiya! Sharing the same piss is what we are very good at here at BE! :p :)

britvic Feb 8th 2007 7:06 pm

Hello Para22 :) what an interesting 1st post, it's good to have you on board :beer:

Bob Feb 8th 2007 7:06 pm

hehe :D

welcome to BE and nice intro :)

TouristTrap Feb 8th 2007 7:20 pm

I agree. Welcome and feel free to piss on here whenever you like :lol:

Leeds_Lass Feb 8th 2007 7:23 pm

Welcome, from one newbie to another :thumbup:.

Dan725 Feb 8th 2007 7:25 pm

Excellent point - you can look around and see that not everyone gets it over here in those sort of situations! Welcome to the site. :)

gardnma Feb 8th 2007 7:28 pm

Ive been here since 1982, origionally Im from Manchester........................God Bless to all, and Rule Brittania..and piss on being politically correct!

Good, another politically incorrect one........;)

Welcome............to the nuthatch.

KKK rally every Thursday, my place at 6.

Toontje Feb 8th 2007 7:33 pm

Welcome Arty!

Irn-bru Feb 8th 2007 7:35 pm

welcome to BE and piss on PC as much as you want :)

Bob Feb 8th 2007 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by irnbru4u (Post 4379266)
welcome to BE and piss on PC as much as you want :)

just don't go out and get a mac :lol:

Irn-bru Feb 8th 2007 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4379268)

:rofl:

TouristTrap Feb 8th 2007 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4379268)

Luckily I don't have to explain the joke I'm thinking about....:lol:

Bob Feb 8th 2007 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4379406)
Luckily I don't have to explain the joke I'm thinking about....:lol:

saucy :p

ukmumsie Feb 8th 2007 8:43 pm

God I miss that too and I hate the PC too. The nice thing is that most of them don't understand a lot of the slang. My husband has his boss programmed in his phone as "plonker" - still none the wiser. Welcome too from a newbie (well probably old now as I joined yesterday):)