Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who likes it here?

Who likes it here?

Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:33 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who likes it here?

Originally Posted by TruBrit
that explains it I'm a star trek fan
but technology is amazing!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm indifferent.

It's not a bad place, but it's not fantastic....the UK isn't much different in that regard.

Location, having a decent job, having decent medical cover, and having a little holiday time certainly help a big way in making it feel not crap here though, so a lot of it is probably down to personal circumstances ain't it.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by UKgirl
By that I mean generally in the US.
I just joined a few days ago and am really surprised at how many people are not happy and wish they were back in the UK. Nothing is perfect and I too get my days when I miss the UK, but for the most part I am happy here.
I am wondering if most of the people who want to go home are just here temporarily.
Just curious, hope I am not stepping out of line here as a new member.
Cheers!

UKgirl
Wecome to the nuthatch UKgirl.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder........
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I would happily work and live here during the week if I could go home at weekends.
Wish they;d bloody hurry up with that teleporter.
OMG the sky is falling - I agree with Davy!!

But quite apart from missing my friends, Putney and the ROH, I just feel extremely uncomfortable here, due to the post-9/11 politics and the resulting infringements on my human rights, our frustrations with USCIS, and the fact that the IRS discriminates again non-USCs.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

miss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to behold

Oh the USCIS frustrates me!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
nope don't like it here one bit......ok to visit now and again but doubt i'd ever return once i leave for good
One of the nippers was asking where Lithuania is yesterday - one of his friends' ancestors came over from there.

As we were looking it up on the map, he started asking me about all the various countries (we've touched on Europe but not in depth, that is for later this year). I got TERRIBLY 'homesick' for it - the opportunity to visit a different country every weekend is frankly, priceless!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:03 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by UKgirl
By that I mean generally in the US.

UKgirl
There are things I like living here and things I don't. I also agree with Davy and wish there was a teleporter or whatever you want to call it.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:04 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

I like it here. Not much back for me in the UK. I have some friends but not that close. Was a bit of a loner back there but prefer it here. Still wish for some of the old creature comforts but I still find plenty I prefer here.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

So far I like the US better. My life has changed for the better, I now stay home and look after my son instead of rushing round in the rain passing him from pillar to post so as I could get to work on time. I too was a bit of a loner in the UK and have now came right out of my shell and have loads of really good mates in the US. I still get days where I just want to sit round and feel sorry for myself because I am home sick but that's when I need a kick up the bum as there are people who would give their right arm to have the opportunities in life that we have had. This little trip home (Scotland) is helping loads, I already feel ready to go home to Texas but have another week left, so I'm just going to enjoy it and hope that this experience of being back in the UK helps with the home sickness at the other end - for a while anyway!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

UKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud of

Thanks for all of your answers.

It seems there is a good mix. For those who missed my introduction of myself, I have been here on and off for about 17 years. Off counts for 10 years ago when we went back to the UK to live for about a year or so.
I have to say, I felt a lot like many of you before my spell back there, but a year of rain, no air-conditioning, grumpy indifferent salespeople, trying to find a parking spot at Sainsburys, friends who didn't want to hear one thing about living in the USA and the cost of houses, sure cured me really fast.
I do miss my mum and my friends, a good Indian (although I can get that here now) and a few other things.

I do have a few Brit friends here amongst my American ones and I like the mix.

I do suppose it depends on where in the US you live. If I was in the heart of Minnesota in the winter I would be miserable too.
No offense to anyone who lives in MN.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm indifferent.

It's not a bad place, but it's not fantastic....the UK isn't much different in that regard.

Location, having a decent job, having decent medical cover, and having a little holiday time certainly help a big way in making it feel not crap here though, so a lot of it is probably down to personal circumstances ain't it.
Surely you mean a *lot* of holiday time! I generally like it here despite the fact I whinge about the many annoyances, but the "little time off" as you put it is literally correct - too little to do anything with, such as visiting the UK! Now, if we had that teleporter, it might do....

Last edited by Dan725; Feb 7th 2007 at 5:52 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:01 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
that explains it I'm a star trek fan
but technology is amazing!
A Star Trek fan who hasn't heard of teleporters??
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:06 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
A Star Trek fan who hasn't heard of teleporters??
there not teleporters in star trek but transporters!!!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Who likes it here?

Yep I like it here too.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:32 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

I did when I moved here in 1986. I wouldnt do it again knowing what I know now. Torn between missing England and disliking USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.