British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Who got into the US with 2 or more convictions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/who-got-into-us-2-more-convictions-158670/)

stressed Jun 11th 2003 11:54 am

Who got into the US with 2 or more convictions

I hope you don't mind but I am very interested in this subject as I am about to have an interview with the US embassy in London and would like to know about anyone who has been in a similar situation. I have been posting on US Visas and US immigration (if you so need to see my full details) but I thought I would ask here to find anyone who got through to the US against the odds.

If you or someone you know got through immigration even though they had conviction/s, what were the crime/s?
Did you get through at the discretion of the interview officer?
Did you have to file I-601 waiver of admisability? How long did it take for a result?
Anything else that may be of interest on this subject?

If anyone does decide to get judgemental, please don't be too hard on me. I have paid the price, grown up and am truely not the person today, that I was when I made those mistakes... as they say live and learn.
Much appreciated.

ScarlettHill Jun 11th 2003 3:17 pm

Re: Who got into the US with 2 or more convictions

Originally posted by stressed
I hope you don't mind but I am very interested in this subject as I am about to have an interview with the US embassy in London and would like to know about anyone who has been in a similar situation. I have been posting on US Visas and US immigration (if you so need to see my full details) but I thought I would ask here to find anyone who got through to the US against the odds.

If you or someone you know got through immigration even though they had conviction/s, what were the crime/s?
Did you get through at the discretion of the interview officer?
Did you have to file I-601 waiver of admisability? How long did it take for a result?
Anything else that may be of interest on this subject?

If anyone does decide to get judgemental, please don't be too hard on me. I have paid the price, grown up and am truely not the person today, that I was when I made those mistakes... as they say live and learn.
Much appreciated.

Hi,

What visa are you applying for? And what was it you did? You don't have to answer, it's your own business entirely, but it might help people to answer. I have heard of people successfully getting the 601 waivers but I don't know the details - just posts I remember from the marriage-based forum. I think it often depends on what the crime was, how long ago etc. I do know of someone who is applying and has a background of prostitution. Very long time ago - she was very young and mixed up - and she now works as a counsellor. Haven't heard from her in a while so I don't know whether her application was successful but I do know drugs and prostitution are biggies, drunk-driving much lesser to the US authorities. Maybe it would be worth doing a search on the us marriage-based forum using the term 'waiver'.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

doctor scrumpy Jun 11th 2003 3:58 pm

If you have 5 or more years imprisonment, you are virtually 100 % to be turned down is what I have been told. Not that I have done 1 minute in jail may I add.

ScarlettHill Jun 11th 2003 6:07 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
If you have 5 or more years imprisonment, you are virtually 100 % to be turned down is what I have been told. Not that I have done 1 minute in jail may I add.
They never caught you, huh, Scrumptious?

doctor scrumpy Jun 11th 2003 10:19 pm

Originally posted by ScarlettHill
They never caught you, huh, Scrumptious?

Of course not, I was grateful everytime that you provided my alibi that we were tucked up in bed :P