Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who else is in Mass and/or NE

Who else is in Mass and/or NE

Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else is in Mass and/or NE

Originally Posted by krizzy
....I think you have to grow up in a tourist area to put up with living in one for long....I now live in two...Disney and the Cape...not the same as Southsea or Lee on Solent mind you...but still the traffic problems...bloody Holiday makers...

Its called tourist season so why can't we shoot them....!
I'm from Oxford, and I know what you mean...but you do get good at spotting the stereotypes
Old Nov 8th 2006, 2:17 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I-91...don't think I've ventured there yet...still not seen much of I-495 either after a venture that route up to maine, and down for an interview once...hmmm...well sounds like a fun road trip and would like to see more of vermont other than skipping through the very edge of it once I think *l*
If you want to stay in a nice Victorian hotel in Vermont...I know an English lady that owns one...its not cheap....but its very nice...
Old Nov 8th 2006, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to stay in a nice Victorian hotel in Vermont...I know an English lady that owns one...its not cheap....but its very nice...
Would that be Canterbury house in Woodstock by any chance ?
She always has the union fleg flying out front, but I see it has vanished over the past week ?

Yet another very pretty town
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:03 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Springfield, I've been told that was one of the crime capitals of the state *lol*....but the air show sounds like a lot of fun
I live just outside Springfield - it has the Basketball Hall of Fame, Dr Seuss sculpute garden (Springfield is birthplace of said writer), a few museums and the large Forest Park which hosts "Bright Nights" (drive through light display) in December. Crime exists as it does in Boston but it's no real risk to the casual visitor I think. Nevertheless, Springfield isn't a wander-around-downtown kind of place mainly because it's ugly rather than terribly unsafe.

Places I've visited around NE and would recommend;

Northampton, MA (Great restuarants, interesting shops and lesbians on tap)
Salem, Marblehead, Rockport, Newburyport, MA (quaint and coastal)
Providence, RI (shopping, great architechture, Little Italy, food)
Newport, RI (walking, mansion-perusing)
Shelburne Falls/Mowhawk Trail area, MA (quaint towns, nice scenery)
Brattleboro/Bennington, VT (quaint towns, nice scenery)
Burlington, VT (quaint towns, nice scenery, big lake, proximity to Ben & Jerrys)
Portsmouth, NH (architecture, food, nearby outlet shopping and beaches)
White Mountains (We stayed in Littleton), NH (walking, wildlife, Mt Washington Cog Railway)
Mid-coast Maine (fab scenery, quaint coastal towns)

Also did a weekend trip to Montreal which was really, really fab. Quite a European vibe. Best bit - sitting outside on pavement seating by a brewpub Friday evening, relaxing with a pint of real ale in my hand (after the 5-hr drive from MA) just watching the world go by.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Portsmouth, NH (architecture, food, nearby outlet shopping and beaches)
White Mountains (We stayed in Littleton), NH (walking, wildlife, Mt Washington Cog Railway)
Mid-coast Maine (fab scenery, quaint coastal towns)
Those are some places I've seen, and yeah White Mountains are lovely...and coastal maine ain't bad....also concorde, NH ain't bad for shopping...and a bit further up, Bridgeton, ME...superb little town, near the whole Casco lakes, lovely place, loads of antique stores, and also a very cute drive in movie theatre
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

well we're off to beantown on saturday to catch the lighting ceremony at faneuil hall...anyone else going to check it out?

and we're planning on checking out plymouth on sunday, maybe...so still nice out there, before we bother?

and what else to see other than the rock thingy?
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:50 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.visit-plymouth.com/
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

cool...cheers for the link

so any recommendations for places to go eat? quite the list there...
Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:04 am
Re vera, potas bene.

We use a place called the keywest or somesuch...if you go up the road opposite the rock by the waxworks I think...park at the top and turn left.. if its still there its not that bad...but not posh....if you turn right you'll come across the Brit shop...I've not been around there this year...so I'm not sure if everything is still there...
Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:13 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I go to Springfield often ...... I am usually very nervous just getting out of the cab
makes a change from the rest of the population getting nervous when you get IN the cab!!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 1:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

well beantown, the lighting ceremony was a bit of an anti-climax...nice weather for it though.

Met up with cousin and co for lunch, at cheers, at FH....it was utterly crap tbh, maybe because it wasn't the original, but the price was average, but portions were small, the fish & chips, soggy chips, soggy fish and bland coleslaw....the ruebans sandwich, beef was tough, the salad wrap was soggy and dressing was on the side...so wouldn't go there again.

Did have dinner on the other side at Ned Devines, a cheesy pub, there's 4 of them of different names across the state, in-laws ate at another one before and liked it, so we tried this...it was really nice, nice ambience inside, the food came out really quickly and was lovely, the missus had the mac and cheese, which was really nice, sharp cheese, and lovely side salad with balsamic vinaigrette...I had the bangers and mash and it was huge, great bangers too....and the house streak fries were superb, nice and crispy with fluffy centres, the nacho's were huge too...so I'd recommend them.

From past visit's to bean town, would recommend Cafe Marliave, just off franklin st, on beacon hill....it's a hole in the wall looking place, but superb italian food, great drinks on tap, and in summer, on the deck, great views, good prices....very old school feel to the place.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
makes a change from the rest of the population getting nervous when you get IN the cab!!
You Bastard

I wouldn't want to step out infront of your Beemer