Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Old Oct 17th 2020, 12:37 am
Just Joined

BennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?j

Originally Posted by Ravenscroft View Post
Thanks for the welcomes, folk.

Yeah, it was a rough trip emotionally. I knew when I moved to the US over twenty years ago that it would be challenging when my parents reached the end of their lives, but I didn't imagine Covid in the mix.

This was my situation too. What I did was work 4-hour days and take PTO for the rest. 8am UK time is 2am CST so I was able to crank through emails and get work done in the morning, then visit my dad in the afternoon. I did have to attend some 9pm meetings that some bright spark scheduled for 3pm CST, but for the most part it went well. I couldn't sync my work Outlook account on my phone for some reason, but using a virtual private network on my laptop worked fine. The only wrinkle was that when you log in to the server at my office it sends a text message to your phone with a code that you have to enter on the laptop for authentication. I didn't want to pay for cell service while in the UK so that was a bit of a worry but I found that if I disabled all the Mobile Network settings on my phone I was still getting texts when connected to wifi. I did have a couple of charges for daily use appear on my bill with AT&T - still not sure why that happened - but they took them off without any fuss when I called them.

I'd advise checking that there isn't a waiting list. We found that there was a 7 - 10 day wait list for delivery on the Isle of Man. Not sure if that was just the Manx tradition of traa dy lioarr ("time enough", sort of a Gaelic version of manana), being on a small island, or if it's something that mainland shops also have issues with. We were lucky enough to have local friends who dropped food off outside the door.

Completely agree with previous posts about expecting a no fuss Tesco / Sainsbury delivery upon arrival back in the U.K.... my elderly parents live in the county of Kent and experience an average of 5 - 6 days wait time for delivery and even then receive about half the items ordered.... they too are relying on family and friends to assist in getting essentials. It’s really not as easy as it appears.
I wish you luck, as a football fan I would just love to join you but the reality is pretty stark as I would really advise you to research, research before making the commitment.
Old Oct 17th 2020, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?j

Originally Posted by BennyBall View Post
...they too are relying on family and friends to assist in getting essentials. It’s really not as easy as it appears.
I wish you luck, as a football fan I would just love to join you but the reality is pretty stark as I would really advise you to research, research before making the commitment.
Thanks BB, I appreciate your point, I have 2 married kids who will drop off emergency supplies and will also pre-order a grocery list for me before we travel, if necessary. I'm aware that delivery slots for groceries have been an issue in the UK since last April. We're committed to going but we're a long way from prepared at this point. Lots to consider, but I'm an 'overthinker' type of person so we'll get there. By the way, I'm a Red. Manc born and bred.