Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Old Nov 25th 2020, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

JDavies17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who else is concerned about trip to UK for Christmas with family?

Apologies, here's a separate link:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/25/p...rus/index.html
Old Nov 25th 2020, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
I guess my overall message is that we are trying to make the most of a horrible situation and the global pandemic. I used to go long, long periods without seeing family when in Arizona. I’m now doing the same back in Scotland. Peace, love, light and happiness to all of you.
Yes, I feel like my time as an expat is definitely helping me -- I have lots of practice at missing Christmas, birthdays, weddings, etc. I'm glad to hear you are making the best of it
Old Nov 26th 2020, 11:31 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JDavies17
Interesting, but lifting the restrictions doesn't mean that the incidence of the virus is down of course, nor does it change the requirement/need for quarantine to protect others. For example, I think we are stuck until my OH can get the vaccine. Can't risk either my son or myself having to quarantine here with OH. I hope they hurry up.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 12:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Interesting, but lifting the restrictions doesn't mean that the incidence of the virus is down of course, nor does it change the requirement/need for quarantine to protect others. For example, I think we are stuck until my OH can get the vaccine. Can't risk either my son or myself having to quarantine here with OH. I hope they hurry up.
Yup. I’m not visiting the next town over at the moment. The idea of flying abroad for a pleasure trip, or to visit family, seems bizarre.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yup. I’m not visiting the next town over at the moment. The idea of flying abroad for a pleasure trip, or to visit family, seems bizarre.
I was watching a local Houston Channel showing people at Hobby Airport on Wednesday. They were all well spread out, all had masks which was great. But then they all get on the planes that were filled to capacity! No social distancing on a plane, that's for sure. Crazy!

As much as I want to see my son WhatsApp and Skype are our best friends for communication for now.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Me too. And this is seriously starting to put a strain on some friendships. With remote working confirmed for many until the end of the academic year, I have friends who are taking this as the green light to travel wherever takes their fancy.

I'm finding this very difficult to reconcile and am not really sure if the friendships will make it out the other side
Old Nov 26th 2020, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is curious about approx how many people are flying out of US airports per day, TSA updates daily how many travellers went through their checkpoints, it does include all travellers not just paying passengers.

They also provide the same number for the same weekday in 2019.

1,070,967 2020

2,624,250 2019

https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/pass...oughput?page=0
Old Nov 26th 2020, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we know who one of them was:

Denver Mayor Hancock apologizes for flying for Thanksgiving after urging others not to travel due to COVID-19

“I think there is an expectation that you essentially try to practice what you preach,” state lawmaker says

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/11/25/denver-michael-hancock-thanksgiving-covid/

Old Nov 27th 2020, 12:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
“I think there is an expectation that you essentially try to practice what you preach,” state lawmaker says.
What planet is he/she from?
Old Nov 27th 2020, 3:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He is from Planet Denver, on third and last erms so presumably none of this is an issue.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 9:32 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

With Hull, UK becoming #1 for covid cases recently, I believe that we made the right choice not to travel this Christmas with my kids, after erring on the choice. The moral of the story - you never know what can happen.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moi
With Hull, UK becoming #1 for covid cases recently, I believe that we made the right choice not to travel this Christmas with my kids, after erring on the choice. The moral of the story - you never know what can happen.
I have been travelling between NJ and UK. Have to say it feels a lot less safe in NJ than UK. It’s so lax in NJ it’s scary. Actual airport travel is brilliant. So few people on the plane there are rows free. Never felt like social distancing was an issue. Just a pain wearing a mask for so long.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

sswrght1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I planned a trip to visit my husband in Nottingham. I'm in Tennessee now and didn't even consider that with the new lockdown I may not be allowed to go? Anybody know if I would be allowed to visit?
Old Dec 15th 2020, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sswrght1
I planned a trip to visit my husband in Nottingham. I'm in Tennessee now and didn't even consider that with the new lockdown I may not be allowed to go? Anybody know if I would be allowed to visit?
Technically, upon arrival in the UK, you ought to quarantine a) for 10 days OR b) 5 days plus a negative test taken 5 days after your arrival. Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ational-travel

In my experience, a test result is received back in two working days. So best to count with 7 days if you choose option b).

Therefore, if you want to spend Christmas with your husband, you should fly to the UK no later than 17th of December.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 5:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Technically, upon arrival in the UK, you ought to quarantine a) for 10 days OR b) 5 days plus a negative test taken 5 days after your arrival. Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ational-travel

In my experience, a test result is received back in two working days. So best to count with 7 days if you choose option b).

Therefore, if you want to spend Christmas with your husband, you should fly to the UK no later than 17th of December.

As her husband is there, presumably sswrght1 is aware that Nottingham has been a bit of a hotbed for the virus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.