Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who to complain to about rude immigration officers at Chicago O'Hare??

Who to complain to about rude immigration officers at Chicago O'Hare??

Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:04 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who to complain to about rude immigration officers at Chicago O'Hare??

Originally Posted by sueanne
OH THEY ARE IN MIAMI TOO, I HAD THE RUDEST LITTLE JUMPED UP SH*T I HAVE EVER MET DURING MY 6YRS TOO AND FRO-ING FROM FLORIDA TO LONDON.....HE WAS SO DAMN RUDE TO MY DAUGHTER TOO... I WANTED TO SLAP HIM SO HARD. THE SAD THING WAS HE DIDNT EVEN KNOW THE IMMIGRATION RULES, ITS AMAZING HOW HE EVER GOT A JOB
Oh yes - some of them can drive you to resort to the Caps Lock alright...
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:27 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Who to complain to about rude immigration officers at Chicago O'Hare??

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
It's not my job to stick up for the moody sods at the CBP but is it actually true that there is no accountability? Beyond hysterical suggestions from another poster that ZOMG U'LL BE DEPORTED!!!! there's a procedure for complaining about the CBP and no credible evidence to suggest that there's any downside to complaining: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/cu...complaints.xml
Yes there is a system in place which is why I am broadly in favour of encouraging people to use it. My point, which you echoed, is that people are far less likely to use it than they would be if they were treated badly by a phone company's customer service (for example). Most people are going to be scared of the consequences of complaining about someone who is in a position of authority over them (the same thing applies with bad managers IMO) and the immigration officials know it. Many of them are professional but the ones that aren't feel much safer being cocky and difficult because they know the people they're dealing with are unlikely to complain.

In the interests of balance, I'll veer slightly off topic briefly. I entered with my K1 visa yesterday and everyone I dealt with at Philadelphia airport was really nice. One of them was outright friendly and I got through the whole process in 10 minutes.

Last edited by Malashaan; Oct 1st 2010 at 3:33 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Desperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Malashaan
I entered with my K1 visa yesterday and everyone I dealt with at Philadelphia airport was really nice. One of them was outright friendly and I got through the whole process in 10 minutes.
Congrats on the entry - glad to hear it went well. I'm entering on an IR1 next week and I hope it goes as straightforwardly and as quickly, particularly as I'm getting at 9pm - so forum talk of waiting 2-3 hours to get processed is something I'm hopeful of avoiding. The only thing I have to do is change the mailing address for the GC (quite annoying as I told USCIS over the phone a couple of months back + was told the change had been made).
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desperate Dan
The only thing I have to do is change the mailing address for the GC (quite annoying as I told USCIS over the phone a couple of months back + was told the change had been made).
Sheesh.

The address they will send your green card to is the one you put on DS-230. If you tried to change that address with USCIS, well... that's not their department.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Desperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
Sheesh.

The address they will send your green card to is the one you put on DS-230. If you tried to change that address with USCIS, well... that's not their department.
Sheesh indeed - they shouldn't have told me that they had actioned the change when they didn't have the authorisation to do so. Or did they? I mistyped - I spoke with the NVC about the change (not the USCIS). I'm assuming that the address change shouldn't be a big deal at POE though - that's what I've read elsewhere on the forum.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh indeed - they shouldn't have told me that they had actioned the change when they didn't have the authorisation to do so. Or did they? I mistyped - I spoke with the NVC about the change (not the USCIS). I'm assuming that the address change shouldn't be a big deal at POE though - that's what I've read elsewhere on the forum.
The officer should always confirm the mailing address with you at the POE and when you know there may be a question about it, you should be assertive enough to check with them to make sure it's updated.
You can see my wiki entry Immigrant Visa Arrival in the US immigration section for more details.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Which part isn't true?

I'm just trying to think who would use 'Anglo' in a derogatory manner. I mean, I can imagine it, I just haven't heard it normally used as a slur.
While context is important, 'Anglo' as used generically in the US Southwest, merely means non hispanic, with no negative connotation or British reference that I have observed. 'Gringo', however can be used in a negative context to describe US Whites or 'Anglos'. Also, while Mexican Nationals in Mexico will on occasion use the term 'Gringo', I have never heard them use the word 'Anglo'.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

The officer should always confirm the mailing address with you at the POE and when you know there may be a question about it, you should be assertive enough to check with them to make sure it's updated.
You can see my wiki entry Immigrant Visa Arrival in the US immigration section for more details.
Thanks for the confirmation and the tip on assertiveness. I did read the wiki earlier in the week - very informative! The only thing is that the links for the USCIS site weren't working. Actually, I think the link for the USCIS change of address was why I confused USCIS and NVC in my earlier post. And just to clarify, the I-130 petition is sent to the USCIS; if granted, the visa application is handled by the NVC; and following the award of the visa, the USCIS is then responsible for issuing the GC? So any GC problems should be directed towards it.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:48 pm

Thanks for the confirmation and the tip on assertiveness. I did read the wiki earlier in the week - very informative! The only thing is that the links for the USCIS site weren't working. Actually, I think the link for the USCIS change of address was why I confused USCIS and NVC in my earlier post. And just to clarify, the I-130 petition is sent to the USCIS; if granted, the visa application is handled by the NVC; and following the award of the visa, the USCIS is then responsible for issuing the GC? So any GC problems should be directed towards it.
argh, those dynamic links. I'm going through making corrections now, but that's why I always try to put the page title.. you can search the info out if the link's broken.

In some (but not all) cases the I-130 is submitted to USCIS.
After petition approval, the case is forwarded to NVC, a part of the Dept of State (DOS).
NVC collects all the visa application documents, but does not adjudicate them.
DOS, in the form of a Consular Officer, interviews and issues the visa.
At entry, the immigrant is inspected by Customs & Border Protection/CBP and admitted (or not).
The immigrant paperwork package is then sent on to USCIS, who produce the 'green cards' and maintain the A-file. They are also responsible for tracking the PR's status inside the US, so future filings regarding status (I-751 etc) go to them.

If your green card is not delivered inside of 6 weeks, contact USCIS, yes. Also see them for data corrections on the card, and for lost card etc etc.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by CelticRover
While context is important, 'Anglo' as used generically in the US Southwest, merely means non hispanic, with no negative connotation or British reference that I have observed. 'Gringo', however can be used in a negative context to describe US Whites or 'Anglos'. Also, while Mexican Nationals in Mexico will on occasion use the term 'Gringo', I have never heard them use the word 'Anglo'.
That tracks with my experiences.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

In some (but not all) cases the I-130 is submitted to USCIS.
After petition approval, the case is forwarded to NVC, a part of the Dept of State (DOS).
NVC collects all the visa application documents, but does not adjudicate them.
DOS, in the form of a Consular Officer, interviews and issues the visa.
At entry, the immigrant is inspected by Customs & Border Protection/CBP and admitted (or not).
The immigrant paperwork package is then sent on to USCIS, who produce the 'green cards' and maintain the A-file. They are also responsible for tracking the PR's status inside the US, so future filings regarding status (I-751 etc) go to them.

If your green card is not delivered inside of 6 weeks, contact USCIS, yes. Also see them for data corrections on the card, and for lost card etc etc.
Many thanks for making it all much clearer!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:42 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a native "Angeleno" and I happen to agree with you. "Anglo" is used in the sense of "white" but not "hispanic" or "latino." As I noted previously, the use of descriptive terms depends upon context. [BTW, I don't like the euphemism "N-word." If used in historical context of quoting someone, "nigger" doesn't bother me -- but that is the only context I ever use the word]. [BTW, in a post elsewhere today, I had to look up the official description of "garrison cap." When I was in the army, the name used was both obscene and descriptive at the same time -- e.g. the obscenity was not gratuitous].

Further BTW, trivia question of the day -- Who was the first "Hispanic" to sit on the Supreme Court?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 1:12 am

Many thanks for making it all much clearer!
YW.. I meant to add to that post that in the next fee increase (in November) USCIS will start charging for the green card production for IV entrants, but the fee will be captured in the visa application fee. (I think I'm remembering that rightly)
Close to $150.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I'm a native "Angeleno" and I happen to agree with you. "Anglo" is used in the sense of "white" but not "hispanic" or "latino." As I noted previously, the use of descriptive terms depends upon context. [BTW, I don't like the euphemism "N-word." If used in historical context of quoting someone, "nigger" doesn't bother me -- but that is the only context I ever use the word]. [BTW, in a post elsewhere today, I had to look up the official description of "garrison cap." When I was in the army, the name used was both obscene and descriptive at the same time -- e.g. the obscenity was not gratuitous].

Further BTW, trivia question of the day -- Who was the first "Hispanic" to sit on the Supreme Court?
Sonia Sotomayor was approved just last year as the first 'and' female supreme court judge.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 3:16 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Sonia Sotomayor was approved just last year as the first 'and' female supreme court judge.
OK, what about Benjamin Cardozo? Take a look at this New York Times Article.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.