Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who to complain to about rude immigration officers at Chicago O'Hare??

Who to complain to about rude immigration officers at Chicago O'Hare??

Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who to complain to about rude immigration officers at Chicago O'Hare??

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Presumably this includes white. So just a person, then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_color
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who to complain to about rude immigration officers at Chicago O'Hare??

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
I'll get myself back over to American expats....
Are they as bitchy as over here? I expect so, with the lack of peanut butter. (me=USC)

Originally Posted by cityhog
Before you go, can you tell me where the American expats forum is? I want to check it out.
There is one at uk-yankee.com

Originally Posted by Desperate Dan
On the subject of the CBP officials, I agree with Malashaan's point about the lack of accountability. I appreciate that they have a serious job to do but I generally find their behaviour unnecessarily aggressive and hostile - it's like because I am an 'immigrant', I am somehow 'sub-human' and not worthy of even neutral behaviour, never mind polite behaviour.
Just don't go thinking you immigrants are special, OK? I've had my share of good and bad at the border when returning to the US myself. I never took ANY notice of it until I had an immigrant spouse. I figured they just picked on my for being a hippie, traveling in Mexico/C Amer, a woman on her own. I also figured those were also valid reasons for them treating me nicely sometimes when I passed through!
Sometimes my husband gets a 'welcome home' and sometimes he does not. The last land crossing we had, he was quizzed about how he obtained his US citizenship & when that had been. When he had his green card, they'd try to trick him by asking him where he got his visa.

There are some good, some bad, but I don't really think the officers give their 'customers' (hahah) that much thought, to consider them sub-human. I think they're mostly trained to be stone faced and aren't here to give you the love (which makes it so nice when they do!).
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Are you white? You don't look that white to me if that's you in the profile picture.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Are you white? You don't look that white to me if that's you in the profile picture.
Well-spotted. I am half-human, half-betazoid.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:46 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Not a trekkie then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deanna_Troi

by the way, my avatar is me
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Not a trekkie then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deanna_Troi

by the way, my avatar is me
Yeah that's why she looked familiar he he.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Desperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
:
There are some good, some bad, but I don't really think the officers give their 'customers' (hahah) that much thought, to consider them sub-human. I think they're mostly trained to be stone faced and aren't here to give you the love (which makes it so nice when they do!).
I don't mind the stone face at all or, lack of warmth - it's more when they harangue you for, for example, asking relatively untaxing and simple-to-answer questions. I don't see how it makes policing immigration more effective. More to the point, it emphasises how few, if any, rights you have and how much power they have at that point in time.

I'd like to think that if I gained US citizenship, I would feel more sure of my status and so less intimidated by them.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Well-spotted. I am half-human, half-betazoid.
I like this one better.

Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Sally's pictures much nicer than a square with a question mark in it!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by traceym
Sally's pictures much nicer than a square with a question mark in it!
Are we not allowed to post pictures here? It's gone!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you live in Florida. Yeah a lot of crackers there, especially in north Florida.
One of my personal heroes was from North Florida: Red Barber. I fondly recall Friday mornings from 7:35 -40 a.m from 1981 to 1992 listening to his chat with Bob Edwards.

Barber was the announcer for the Brooklyn Dodgers when Jackie Robinson broke the color line in the Bigs. I have no problem with describing Robinson as the first "black player" in major league baseball. However, you know how Barber referred to him on the radio? "Robinson."

Something to emulate IMHO.

Perhaps I did not express it clearly, but all I meant in my first post was that the statement sounded racist to me. A nasty response might have been -- "I had no intention of making a racist statement, you jerk!" It would have been impolite, but have the benefit of an appropriate response. Instead, OP goes "piss on your PC crap."

My belief is that one should treat the audience of a communication with a modicum of respect -- and some of that audience will be true believers in "PC crap."

The conversation Rete and I had may have been pointed, but it was terse and done with. She asked why I considered the statement racist and I answered that the description was irrelevant to the topic. I guess I had internalized the Red Barber treatment of Robinson.

Final note regarding the discussion of accents -- Every American knows that Brits "talk funny."
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Are we not allowed to post pictures here? It's gone!
Not our fault.. maybe the blogger doesn't like being linked.
You'll have to learn how to steal pictures and use the 'manage attachments' button.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TOTALLY OT Re: Who to complain to about rude immigration officers at Chicago O'Ha

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Also, having owned a 1960's vintage British sports car, I'm in the mood for some Lucas Electric jokes.
I used to have a 1969 Simca 1204. It was a good little car! Simcas weren't well known outside of Detroit/Windsor... or France!

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
One of my personal heroes was from North Florida: Red Barber. I fondly recall Friday mornings from 7:35 -40 a.m from 1981 to 1992 listening to his chat with Bob Edwards.

Barber was the announcer for the Brooklyn Dodgers when Jackie Robinson broke the color line in the Bigs. I have no problem with describing Robinson as the first "black player" in major league baseball. However, you know how Barber referred to him on the radio? "Robinson."

Something to emulate IMHO.

Perhaps I did not express it clearly, but all I meant in my first post was that the statement sounded racist to me. A nasty response might have been -- "I had no intention of making a racist statement, you jerk!" It would have been impolite, but have the benefit of an appropriate response. Instead, OP goes "piss on your PC crap."

My belief is that one should treat the audience of a communication with a modicum of respect -- and some of that audience will be true believers in "PC crap."

The conversation Rete and I had may have been pointed, but it was terse and done with. She asked why I considered the statement racist and I answered that the description was irrelevant to the topic. I guess I had internalized the Red Barber treatment of Robinson.

Final note regarding the discussion of accents -- Every American knows that Brits "talk funny."
Ha ha, you Brits like to discuss a lot! I reckon British couples like to have a passionate argument every night before sex.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:35 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha, you Brits like to discuss a lot! I reckon British couples like to have a passionate argument every night before sex.
Umm... Mr. Folinsky is a USC, born and bred. He's not British.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.