Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who can I get to countersign?

Who can I get to countersign?

Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:05 am
Just Joined

movado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who can I get to countersign?

My children are US citizens and I am going to apply for British passports for them. We live in the US. Who can countersign the application? I don't know any British citizens here.

Can their father or a relative countersign?
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:01 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who can I get to countersign?

Just make something up yourself? It's not like they're going to check.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't know a British person, you can get an American to countersign. My husband got a work colleague to do his. I don't think you can use a relative.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:38 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

We got an American neighbour who is a CPA to countersign, and there were no problems.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:44 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I once used an American friend of my wife - I think a requirement is someone who has known you/them a couple of years? I had met him a couple of years before, he was a professor or something. That worked.

Is there a God parent? Or a work Boss/ HR (or for the kids maybe a teacher). Anyway, someone that can be verified, and not just a random person! But not a relative.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 2:47 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We had the Kindergarten teacher one time. Also a family friend who is retired fire chief and one thats a retired cop.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

I agree with all of the above... I have never heard of them actually checking with the cosigner either!

Another option would be send it to a friend in the UK along with all of the other completed forms, ask them to sign it and post it on your behalf in the UK.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movado View Post
My children are US citizens and I am going to apply for British passports for them. We live in the US. Who can countersign the application? I don't know any British citizens here.

Can their father or a relative countersign?
You cannot use a relative...even if that relative is a doctor, lawyer, teacher etc.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWaring View Post
I agree with all of the above... I have never heard of them actually checking with the cosigner either!

Another option would be send it to a friend in the UK along with all of the other completed forms, ask them to sign it and post it on your behalf in the UK.
Just a note on this, your application must be sent to Washington if you reside in the US, you can't post it direct to the UK. I'm in the middle of doing this for our passport renewals and they've got to be sent via Washington. Anyone who's known you for 2 or more years can sign, but it's supposed to be a lawyer, doctor, minister etc. I'm getting our bank clerk to do ours as he's known us the longest and fingers crossed, there's no problem and I'm with the others, I'm sure they don't check it anyway!!
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:02 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I countersigned probably hundreds of applications during my banking days, as did my aunt who was a civil servant. None were ever checked.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:55 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pombat View Post
We got an American neighbour who is a CPA to countersign, and there were no problems.
As an aside, the Australian authorities do check the countersignatory.

We have dual UK and Australian citizenship and we asked our same CPA neighbour to countersign when we renewed our kids' Australian passports a few years ago. The renewal application had to be submitted in person, so I took the kids up to the Australian Consulate General in San Francisco. We had an interview, all went well, and we were advised that the passports would be issued.

Later that day, our countersignatory got a phone call at work from the consulate, asking her to confirm how long she had known our children. My OH also got a call to check that he was aware I had applied to renew the passports. He had signed the application forms, but apparently the consulate routinely checks with both parents to reduce the chances of one parent taking children out of the country without the consent of the other parent. All very interesting.

The new passports arrived about a week later.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movado View Post
We live in the US. Who can countersign the application? I don't know any British citizens here.
You aren't required to have a British citizen countersign the application.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1 View Post
Just a note on this, your application must be sent to Washington if you reside in the US, you can't post it direct to the UK. I'm in the middle of doing this for our passport renewals and they've got to be sent via Washington. Anyone who's known you for 2 or more years can sign, but it's supposed to be a lawyer, doctor, minister etc. I'm getting our bank clerk to do ours as he's known us the longest and fingers crossed, there's no problem and I'm with the others, I'm sure they don't check it anyway!!
I sent mine to my mother who renewed it for me in the UK. Saved a fortune. It wasn't a issue.

As to the counter sig, if the pick isn't significantly different to the old you you don't need a counter sig, but for kids you usually would need one, as long as they're a "person of standing", a banker, teacher, doctor, whatever, they can sign it, they don't need to be a Brit, but they can't be a family member.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm..I wonder if this could be a problem for my OH. His passport needs to be renewed this year. We've moved around so much within the US, we really don't have anyone that is a 'person of standing' that has known him for more than 2 years. OOC, can his boss sign a pic? My OH has been working for him for over 2years. If the boss can't, where can we find a list of who's considered a 'person of standing'?
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass View Post
We've moved around so much within the US, we really don't have anyone that is a 'person of standing' that has known him for more than 2 years.
There's nothing that indicates the person needs to be local.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.