Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who can I contact to offer help??

Who can I contact to offer help??

Old Sep 1st 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Who can I contact to offer help??

My wife and I were talking about what we could/would do in the event we were caught up in something like the situation in New Orleans. We said that we would probably fly back to the UK and re-assess things from there.....BUT, what about if we couldn't for whatever reason (money, lost passport etc). We'd be expats stranded here with no family to turn to.

That being said, does anyone know the best people to talk to so we can offer assistance to any Brits that are in that exact situation right now?

We have a spare bedroom here in the DFW area where we could easily help out a couple who are stranded. I'm sure there are not too many government agencies willing to help expats as they have their hands full.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 8:30 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who can I contact to offer help??

Originally Posted by paul_TX
My wife and I were talking about what we could/would do in the event we were caught up in something like the situation in New Orleans. We said that we would probably fly back to the UK and re-assess things from there.....BUT, what about if we couldn't for whatever reason (money, lost passport etc). We'd be expats stranded here with no family to turn to.

That being said, does anyone know the best people to talk to so we can offer assistance to any Brits that are in that exact situation right now?

We have a spare bedroom here in the DFW area where we could easily help out a couple who are stranded. I'm sure there are not too many government agencies willing to help expats as they have their hands full.
I honestly don't know but my best bet would be either the Red Cross or the nearest British Embassy.

Hope it works out!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

The number for the local red cross is 214 678 4800 - I've been trying to get through all day though with no luck. The number that was put out by NBC locally just gets you emergency management and they give you the number for the red cross above.

www.nbc5i.com has a refugee notice board. People in DFW are putting their details on there advertising rooms etc for refugees.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
The number for the local red cross is 214 678 4800 - I've been trying to get through all day though with no luck. The number that was put out by NBC locally just gets you emergency management and they give you the number for the red cross above.

www.nbc5i.com has a refugee notice board. People in DFW are putting their details on there advertising rooms etc for refugees.

Thanks!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:16 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, if somebody answers your ad and they are not British, will you sling them out onto the street?
Old Sep 1st 2005, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
Just out of interest, if somebody answers your ad and they are not British, will you sling them out onto the street?
Absolutely not!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 11:32 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Right now the Houston Food Bank has a huge need. You might contact your local food bank to see if there could be a coordinated food drive to send down to Houston. Baton Rouge is trying to supply New Orleans in addition to the refugees in Baton Rouge. I'm considering driving a supply of food/water/toiletries to one of those food banks over the weekend. San Antonio is set to receive 25,000 refugees and they will also need food and other provisions.

You can check on neworleans.craigslist.com, nola.com and icanhelp.theacolyte.org -- both have places where you can post availability of your room and perhaps look through the appeals for help to see if there's someone that you think would be a good match for your living situation.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:33 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Paul:

found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4203768.stm

The Houston embassy's number is 1 713 659 6270, 24 hours -- perhaps the embassy would know of someone who needs housing?
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:33 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Right now the Houston Food Bank has a huge need. You might contact your local food bank to see if there could be a coordinated food drive to send down to Houston. Baton Rouge is trying to supply New Orleans in addition to the refugees in Baton Rouge. I'm considering driving a supply of food/water/toiletries to one of those food banks over the weekend. San Antonio is set to receive 25,000 refugees and they will also need food and other provisions.

You can check on neworleans.craigslist.com, nola.com and icanhelp.theacolyte.org -- both have places where you can post availability of your room and perhaps look through the appeals for help to see if there's someone that you think would be a good match for your living situation.
Red Cross and Salvation Army are both asking individuals not to donate food items, clothing etc. What they really want is money.

http://www.redcross.org/article/0,10...2_4498,00.html
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:55 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Red Cross and Salvation Army are both asking individuals not to donate food items, clothing etc. What they really want is money.

http://www.redcross.org/article/0,10...2_4498,00.html
Yes -- I have given and will give again. I'm looking for a way to also give my time, as are many others.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:16 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes -- I have given and will give again. I'm looking for a way to also give my time, as are many others.
Yep - is there anything that can be done from the other side of the country? I'd love to help out in a more concrete way than just throwing money at them (though I appreciate that money is a big help!)

I'd just like to feel that I was doing something...
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:31 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Yep - is there anything that can be done from the other side of the country? I'd love to help out in a more concrete way than just throwing money at them (though I appreciate that money is a big help!)

I'd just like to feel that I was doing something...
People all over are organising convoys of food -- I think there is one from Stockton which is in the central valley?

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/vol/94915811.html

I would check with your local food bank as well.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:59 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Commendable. Just thought the info from Sally's Army and Red Cross would be helpful for those wanting to collect food. When disasters like this happen to often the aid agencies are swamped with offers, that are not necessarily what they need, they have to deal with while trying to coordinate their efforts.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:06 pm
Winterwords

If you scroll down on this page there's a list of agencies seeking "cash donations & volunteer help"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4204066.stm

might be useful.