Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where's my passport ?

Where's my passport ?

Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

jokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to all
Default Re: Where's my passport ?

Originally Posted by Neathborn
I think it varies on how long it takes. I renewed my passport about 5 months or so ago and it took about 8 weeks for me to get it back.

Now THAT'S the kind of reply i was looking for
Cheers Neath.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the fact they've charged your account is a good thing - its confirmation they've received the app and its working its way through the system.

We applied for our daughter's first passport earlier this year - wanted to get her UK passport in time for our UK trip in July (already had a US one). I cocked up the paperwork and didn't send in my birth certificate (could have sworn it said wasn't necessary if claiming citizenship through the mother). So I had to resubmit with appropriate paperwork - passport did not make it back in time, despite me providing our travel date. I have a hunch it actually arrived on our travel date, but since we had to leave at 6am, we missed the FedEx bloke.

Originally Posted by jokeworm
Now THAT'S the kind of reply i was looking for
Cheers Neath.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

BTW UKNova is flippin' genius. How likely is it one of the TV stations is going to come after you guys to close you down? Would be a sad day if that happened.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
BTW UKNova is flippin' genius. How likely is it one of the TV stations is going to come after you guys to close you down? Would be a sad day if that happened.
i'd safe there pretty safe, they stay away from things on premium channels and things out on dvd...
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:32 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
i'd safe there pretty safe, they stay away from things on premium channels and things out on dvd...
i hate to say it - but give it time!!

Ant
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Unfortunately I think the copyright owners would still consider they are facilitating the infringement of copyright - so I'm pretty sure they'll become a target at some point.

Just demonstrates there is a gap in the market to provide this stuff legitimately - hopefully they will see it that way. We need a "Steve Jobs" type visionary to enable these people to get their act together.

Originally Posted by Bob
Old Nov 21st 2005, 12:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
i hate to say it - but give it time!!

Ant
that's true..
Old Nov 21st 2005, 12:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Unfortunately I think the copyright owners would still consider they are facilitating the infringement of copyright - so I'm pretty sure they'll become a target at some point.
Oh I know it's still illegal, and it probably will be tackled at some point, but less so over other sites which promote stuff that are on dvd's and other things that are making money...oh which there are many out there...
Old Nov 21st 2005, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

jokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to alljokeworm is a name known to all

All we can do is take it one day at a time. We hope that by sticking with the high moral ground we are showing that there is a need to provide a service to ex-pats like us that would have no other way of viewing a lot of this stuff if it were not for uknova. We are not trying to compete with the tv stations,
Ideally the tv stations will take the lead and start putting access to the shows everyone wants to see online. If everyone's output was available online , on demand - there would not be a need for uknova - we would be happy with that.

As you say - there is no telling what tomorrow will bring though.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

To add to this thread ... why is it that you can happily wait 36 days for a passport without feeling the need to log onto a forum and tell the world that you are beginning to get worried that your photo's may have gone astray and could be about to get leaked onto the net ... but, the second you do log-on and piss and whine about how long it has taken .. the damn thing shows up.

6pm - taking a nap - knock at door - dogs go wild - i break my neck trying to force both legs down the same trouser leg before Mr Fed-Ex decides he has already given you more than enough time to get off your dead ass and make your way to the door and leaves with my shiny new passport in his hands.

Get to the door only to see the tail end of the van turn the corner .. look down - and there on my front porch is a neatly wrapped fed-ex letter .. containing one mug-shot and the right to travel to almost any country in the world

So i take it back. The British embassy ISN'T a waste of space. Anyone who works there should not necessarily do THAT thing i was thinking they should do to each other. All is well with the world, move along please nothing to see here.

Thanks for the advice guys. 36 days seems to be the amount of time it takes them to turn $144 into a new passport round these parts at the moment in case anyone else is in the same boat I was earlier today
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

To add to this thread ... why is it that you can happily wait 36 days for a passport without feeling the need to log onto a forum and tell the world that you are beginning to get worried that your photo's may have gone astray and could be about to get leaked onto the net ... but, the second you do log-on and piss and whine about how long it has taken .. the damn thing shows up.

6pm - taking a nap - knock at door - dogs go wild - i break my neck trying to force both legs down the same trouser leg before Mr Fed-Ex decides he has already given you more than enough time to get off your dead ass and make your way to the door and leaves with my shiny new passport in his hands.

Get to the door only to see the tail end of the van turn the corner .. look down - and there on my front porch is a neatly wrapped fed-ex letter .. containing one mug-shot and the right to travel to almost any country in the world

So i take it back. The British embassy ISN'T a waste of space. Anyone who works there should not necessarily do THAT thing i was thinking they should do to each other. All is well with the world, move along please nothing to see here.

Thanks for the advice guys. 36 days seems to be the amount of time it takes them to turn $144 into a new passport round these parts at the moment in case anyone else is in the same boat I was earlier today
Wicked, glad you got your passport back, and welcome.

Annette
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:18 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

If you keep hitting refresh you should get lucky quite quickly .. we free up 300 new accounts each day by deleting inactive users. You tend to find the best time to hit one is between 4-8am uk time. If you really struggle and can't get in after a couple of days let me know and i'll see what i can do for ya
Great advice, I went to uknova at about 11:30pm Eastern, and got registered on first try. Thanks for that. Now I have to get my ratio up, as I downloaded something and it was happily sharing, and then my internet connection went down and I spent this morning on the phone to tech support. Hopefully it'll stay up all day while I'm at work and share to it's hearts content.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:24 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neil
Great advice, I went to uknova at about 11:30pm Eastern, and got registered on first try. Thanks for that. Now I have to get my ratio up, as I downloaded something and it was happily sharing, and then my internet connection went down and I spent this morning on the phone to tech support. Hopefully it'll stay up all day while I'm at work and share to it's hearts content.

Me too, got a bunch of hancocks half hour and a couple of other gems - very fast download, great site!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Me too, got a bunch of hancocks half hour and a couple of other gems - very fast download, great site!
the downloads are cracking, but the uploads tend to suck, only site that goes really slow to upload once finished the download....haven't figured it out, but ain't that bothered as I've a pretty good ratio and everything ends up upping a fair share in the end *l*
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:38 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
the downloads are cracking, but the uploads tend to suck, only site that goes really slow to upload once finished the download....haven't figured it out, but ain't that bothered as I've a pretty good ratio and everything ends up upping a fair share in the end *l*
It's an art and a science. I can sit and twiddle rates and number of uploads and wildly change the outcome. When I have time I do this; when I don't, I pick something fairly reliable to leave up for u/l (or ask Toon to change for me).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.