Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where's home?

Where's home?

Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:54 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where's home?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That's where I am. Well I'm the American, hubs is the Brit and we lived in the UK for 5+ years before we moved back here to the States. We didn't move back to California (where I'm from) but to Washington (South of Seattle.) He loves it here, and it has worked out well for him with regards to employment, certainly better than when his employment in the UK (not the same for holiday time, of course) But I'm still unsettled and it doesn't help that I have a daughter that lives in the UK (with grandkids) and we have a child here. I can also fully understand your sentiment that the US is quite different, as well.

We've been back for 8 years now and I keep thinking I'll like it better, but it hasn't worked out that way. We were in the UK this past summer and even though that's where part of my heart is (daughter and grandkids) I know that's not home either....
Your post is pretty interesting to me. I tend to assume, in my ignorance, that this uneasy, unsettled feeling I have will fade away with time & that I'll come to love--or at least like--where I am here in the US. But you've been back in the States for longer than you lived in the UK, and you're still not feeling truly content with where you are.

Does your daughter hold out any hope of ever moving to the States? (I would guess she has US citizenship, as my daughter does.) Mine doesn't think she will ever want to move here, but she's in her late 20s, pleanty of time to change her mind . . . at least, that's what I tell myself.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really nice
Default Re: Where's home?

I have only been here 7 and a half months so cant really feel like here is home (San Diego) but in the past month and a half I have felt more settled than I ever had before. Where before I was saying I wanted to go home after we had done the initial year I am now already open to staying another year.

Home to me is still England, though I cant define in my head where in England seeing as I was in Southampton from 2006 to moving here and before that was near Brighton. I think I still think of the place near Brighton as home more than the Southampton place!