Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where's home?

Where's home?

Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where's home?

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
As long as you're together and happy - anyway, you're still young and things will, inevitably, change.
Oh aye. I'm learning how to detach missing the UK from getting on with things here in the meantime, it is working quite well. We're also planning a trip back home for the near future as well because we have enough air miles to get to London and connect so that helps quite a bit, too.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Home is where ever you get up in the morning for the majority of the time.

Can also be where the heart is.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:12 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Oh aye. I'm learning how to detach missing the UK from getting on with things here in the meantime, it is working quite well. We're also planning a trip back home for the near future as well because we have enough air miles to get to London and connect so that helps quite a bit, too.
Sounds good and you'll have a great advantage, for working on her there.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

San Francisco is very much my home these days... I think it took me about 15 years of living in the US to reach that realization though.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Home is where ever you get up in the morning for the majority of the time.

Can also be where the heart is.
For most, I think home is where the arse is

Sounds good and you'll have a great advantage, for working on her there.
We're planning to try to get a city break somewhere, London, Paris or Berlin are the front runners. The ease of access to Europe is an angle I'll be pushing heavily
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:48 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Depends which way the plane in flying. If it's going to the UK I am going 'home' and when we are on our way back here to Texas we are coming 'home' .
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I've said before that in the past I would paraphrase Neil Diamond's song "I am I said" when thinking about my two homes:

Well I'm Yorkshire born and raised
But nowadays, I'm lost between two shores
New York's fine, but it ain't home
Yorkshire's home, but it ain't mine no more

Though in all honesty, I do feel that NY and CT are indeed "home" nowadays.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Bit of a tangent, but vaguely related to the thread, would you consider moving to another state and would that then be 'home' or would it always be Texas for you?

I've wondered lately if we were ever able to try out a different state, would I change my mind, or would I still always consider Carrick to be 'home'. I think I always would but I'd be willing to bet there are a good few states I'd enjoy more than Illinois at the same time
That's an interesting one.. I've lived in two US states, quite a few years in each, Massachusetts and New York. They have such a different feel about them, they are like two different countries. I almost have that proprietorial, "patriotic" feeling about both, in that I feel that (for instance) Oklahoma, Missouri, etc. ore obviously crap places compared to NY or MA. Well, realistically, flyover states are crap compared to MA or NY.. (kidding, of course.)

I think in a way I prefer New York to Massachusetts, the state government here is a bit more people-friendly and "European" compared to MA. But, I do feel nostalgic about MA, and if I went back to live in MA I'd feel nostalgic about NY.

But for me England is home.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:03 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by robin1234
That's an interesting one.. I've lived in two US states, quite a few years in each, Massachusetts and New York. They have such a different feel about them, they are like two different countries. I almost have that proprietorial, "patriotic" feeling about both, in that I feel that (for instance) Oklahoma, Missouri, etc. ore obviously crap places compared to NY or MA. Well, realistically, flyover states are crap compared to MA or NY.. (kidding, of course.)

I think in a way I prefer New York to Massachusetts, the state government here is a bit more people-friendly and "European" compared to MA. But, I do feel nostalgic about MA, and if I went back to live in MA I'd feel nostalgic about NY.

I love that - 'flyover states'

If it weren't for Chicago (and to be honest I don't consider Chicago to be all that special, personally); IL would almost certainly be considered a 'flyover state'. There's bugger all squared here, really - unless you like nuclear power plants, that is. Wisconsin's a bit better - at least they have a few attractions like The House on the Rock, which is way cool; but it is also the state responsible for that chilled gnat's piss they call Miller Lite, as well ...

I've always wanted to check out New England, and NY state, it looks nice out that way.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:14 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

We've spoken about that. The only way either of us can see moving to another state, is if we afford to fly to where the grandkids are (or fly them to us) at least once a month. Family is what it's all about.
What if your grandkids parents accepted a job in England and moved there. Would you follow them back to England or would you still consder Texas home?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:16 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by N1cky
What if your grandkids parents accepted a job in England and moved there. Would you follow them back to England or would you still consder Texas home?
Or worse - what if they moved to Peru? In Dakota's building. Across the hall ...

Or Spain!

Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:23 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

My grandkids' parents are all Texan and not likely to go anywhere.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:28 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

My grandkids' parents are all Texan and not likely to go anywhere.
Me and my hubby are all Yorkshire and our parents would have probably said the same thing
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

We moved to VT (but work in NY) from PA a few months ago, I love VT but also have fond memories and good friends and family in PA. I think home is where your immediate family live, so for now home is in Vermont, but I still also consider England home. As time passes the thought of moving back to England diminishes for me. Since getting a job and trying to put down some roots in a new state/area I'm feeling more settled. When my husband finishes his post grad work at RPI we will probably be uprooting and moving states again.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:48 pm
Life goes on.

Me and my hubby are all Yorkshire and our parents would have probably said the same thing
Well, hypothetically speaking, as there are three kids, each with grandkids, if one family left, we'd stay with the other two. If a second set left, the likelihood of them going to the same place is slim. If the third were to leave, we can't cut ourselves in three, so I guess we'd then please ourselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.