Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where are you from, where are you now...

Wikiposts

Where are you from, where are you now...

Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you from, where are you now...

Originally Posted by Dimsie
tornado alley and bible belt. :scared:
So, been struck by an "acts of God" yet, Dimsie?

I tell my Brit friends about the Q/A session I got when I first came to Tyler and they don't believe me.....
Them:"So, Andy, what church do you go to?"
Me:"Huh?"
Them:<Puzzled by no instant response>"What church do you go to?"
Me:"Well...I...errr.... don't actually"
Them:"Oh well you must join ours!"
Me:"Errr...no you don't understand...I...errr... really don't"

You can then see the wheels turning..... they have a scale of people that has, on one end, rapists and axe murderers and, on the other end, churchgoers (twice a week) and.... nothing in between....

Them:"Oh well that's OK then". <Quickly exits stage left!>

Andy.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndySmithers
So, been struck by an "acts of God" yet, Dimsie?

I tell my Brit friends about the Q/A session I got when I first came to Tyler and they don't believe me.....
Them:"So, Andy, what church do you go to?"
Me:"Huh?"
Them:<Puzzled by no instant response>"What church do you go to?"
Me:"Well...I...errr.... don't actually"
Them:"Oh well you must join ours!"
Me:"Errr...no you don't understand...I...errr... really don't"

You can then see the wheels turning..... they have a scale of people that has, on one end, rapists and axe murderers and, on the other end, churchgoers (twice a week) and.... nothing in between....

Them:"Oh well that's OK then". <Quickly exits stage left!>

Andy.

Yes - acts of God all around in these parts....LOL! I re-act in exactly the same way as you. In this town of some 20,000 souls there are between 65 and 80 churches at any given time.....instead of a pub on every corner there's a church - unfortunately!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:22 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon
Twickenham
Hampton
Hendon
Putney
Hampton
Sutton
Hampton Hill
Teddington
New Forest (hated it)
Chiswick
DC for 6 months
Hampton
Spain
Rockport MA
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:24 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Sale - Liverpool - Windsor ON - Sale - Stockport - Manistee MI.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Yes - acts of God all around in these parts....LOL! I re-act in exactly the same way as you. In this town of some 20,000 souls there are between 65 and 80 churches at any given time.....instead of a pub on every corner there's a church - unfortunately!
I do have to admit, though, I haven't come across any real extremist behaviour or reactions to my "non-believer" status. Poeple seem honestly, genuinely interested in how a normal, well behaved (!) family man can NOT be heavily religious - it has simply never occurred to them to think that such a species could exist.

I'll take 90F today over rain in Bognor Regis (my brother phoned me from there today) even WITH the churches!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:25 am
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Hey there, are you a "traveller" or what Unless your 180 years old, I guess you don't like to stay in one place. Sounds like fun.

I lived in two very small towns. One is call Southwick in sussex and the other in Wigginton in herts. Population was too small to count

Originally Posted by sibsie
Wimbledon
Twickenham
Hampton
Hendon
Putney
Hampton
Sutton
Hampton Hill
Teddington
New Forest (hated it)
Chiswick
DC for 6 months
Hampton
Spain
Rockport MA
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:28 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
Hey there, are you a "traveller" or what Unless your 180 years old, I guess you don't like to stay in one place. Sounds like fun.
Hendon and Putney were work related but the rest of them, with the exception of the first two, were buying and selling houses for a profit. Not sure I could face moving again now though.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:30 am
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

You might be more religious then you think. Good people believe in something, if only to respect others - something found in almost every page of the bible. I actually didn't think I was religous and never went to Church since I was about 6 years old. Around age 37/38 something wonderful happened to me and I became a Christian in my heart. I don't go to Church every Sunday but my kids go to a Christian school and I, like you I'm sure, strive to not be selfish and try to help others in many ways.... It's not always easy, but it is what I strive for.

I note you say not "HEAVILY" religious, so just maybe we are not too dissimiliar.. God Bless you and your family.

Originally Posted by AndySmithers
I do have to admit, though, I haven't come across any real extremist behaviour or reactions to my "non-believer" status. Poeple seem honestly, genuinely interested in how a normal, well behaved (!) family man can NOT be heavily religious - it has simply never occurred to them to think that such a species could exist.

I'll take 90F today over rain in Bognor Regis (my brother phoned me from there today) even WITH the churches!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
....I, like you I'm sure, strive to not be selfish and try to help others in many ways.... It's not always easy, but it is what I strive for.
called being a nice human being, religion doesn't have anything to do with being a nice person.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:57 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Glossop
Stockport
Wythenshawe
Sale
Audenshaw
North Carolina
Salem, Ma
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:19 am
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

Born in sunny Birmingham, moved to LA when I was 2...moved back when I was 8. Lived in Ashford, Middlesex for a while then moved up to Brum again. Parents decided they didn't like it there so moved to Heston, Midd'x.
Parents decided they didn't like it there so moved down to Looe, Cornwall when I was 10. Lived there 'til I was 19 when I moved to Hounslow, Midd'x when I moved in with Paul (aka THFC1) Bought a flat in Ashford, Midd'x then moved to Hoboken NJ for his work. Seems like I'm kinda going round in circles!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:45 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Born in Taunton, Somerset (the only place I've lived that I don't remember), then for varying lengths of time:

Hyde
Gloucester
Poynton, nr. Stockport - formative teenage years, so this is where I say I'm from if asked!
Aberdeen - University years, had a ball
Haslemere, Surrey - where my parents still live
Coventry - back to Uni for a year doing PGCE
East Grinstead - first proper job and place of my own
Braintree, Essex - after I realised that East Grinstead was way too expensive

Then I met my man and have just moved over to San Francisco bay area to be with him.

Bit of a mixture - from the South of England to the North of Scotland. Never lived in Wales though

I was interested to note that Anotherlimey hailed from East Grinstead. I'm wondering if you went to school there? If so, was it Sackville? That was my first teaching job!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:57 am

cbone is on a distinguished road

Born Paddington, London
Moved at 1 to Basingstoke, Hants
Moved in '03 to MA with job
Moved in '04 to Newtown,PA with job again
Next move who know's England, somewhere hot, we'll see !!!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Born and raised in Hitchin - Herts
Garduated - Liverpool
Launced Career/Married in Folkestone - Kent
Started USA contract in Kansas City - 1996
Chicago Suburbs since 1998
Old Apr 28th 2005, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Eccles, Manchester - 3 years
Romiley, Stockport - 34 years
Mercer County, NJ - 3 years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.