Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where are you going for Hollidays this year?

Where are you going for Hollidays this year?

Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you going for Hollidays this year?

I think Colonial Williamsburg and surrounding areas are good for both historical and museums. There is also Busch Gardens and a short drive to the outer banks of North Carolina, where the Wright brothers took off. Skip Virginia Beach, it is tacky. That time of year it will be humid but so will most of the east coast.

www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/visit

www.outerbanks.org
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
I think Colonial Williamsburg and surrounding areas are good for both historical and museums. There is also Busch Gardens and a short drive to the outer banks of North Carolina, where the Wright brothers took off. Skip Virginia Beach, it is tacky. That time of year it will be humid but so will most of the east coast.

www.outerbanks.org
So, I guess we won't be popping round your place for a cuppa huh?
Thanx for the links, gonna be a busy night tonight, but fun:-)
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Boston is the dog's danglies - loads to do, especially in warm weather. I particularly like the boaty options, such as day trips to Provincetown or Salem, and the water taxi that plies the Harbor Islands, which have everything from walking trails, beaches and an old fort for exploration.

My hols planned so far this year are an Easter break in Montreal (love the place and keep going back again and again) and then two weeks around Nova Scotia (driving up to Portland or Bar Harbor and then taking the ferry).

Last year we did a week split between Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, which was great (took the bikes) and the year before we flew to Portland, OR and drove down to San Francisco (that was fab too).

dogs dangly's? that's too funny! sounds like you have had a few fun trips, I'm not one for cycling (lazy bisch) but I do love to explore and walk around interesting historical sites etc.
Thanx for the post hun
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We are going home.
Starting in Dublin Ireland, then spending most of the time in Wales (at Mums) then a week in Barcelona to see my Aunt and the cousins (gotta check out the new baby) then back to Mums and a few days in Dublin before the flight back here. Altogether 6 weeks. I can't wait.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We are going home.
Starting in Dublin Ireland, then spending most of the time in Wales (at Mums) then a week in Barcelona to see my Aunt and the cousins (gotta check out the new baby) then back to Mums and a few days in Dublin before the flight back here. Altogether 6 weeks. I can't wait.

Good for you! Sounds wonderful, hope you get good weather, though it probably won't matter huh?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

My hols planned so far this year are an Easter break in Montreal (love the place and keep going back again and again) and then two weeks around Nova Scotia (driving up to Portland or Bar Harbor and then taking the ferry).
we're heading to bar harbor for april holidays as the folks have a timeshare there...nice spot and not bad on the cat to nova scotia...
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:32 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Yeah, for some reason the mozzie's love my blood! I'm trying something new this year, I read/heard somewhere, if you stick a 'bounce' dryer sheet in your knickers, they leave you alone!
Nothing seems to help me totally here, but this seems to help a little bit: Avon's Skin So Soft Bug guard, they also do a version with a suntan lotion and moisturiser

http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.as...rep_delivery=1

I found this to work better for me here than Deet or any of the other bug repellents
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Juswus
Nothing seems to help me totally here, but this seems to help a little bit: Avon's Skin So Soft Bug guard, they also do a version with a suntan lotion and moisturiser

http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.as...rep_delivery=1

I found this to work better for me here than Deet or any of the other bug repellents
Thanx hun, I have actually tried that, Sis' sells Avon, we used to send bottles of the stuff to the troops in the desert, it does work great on most people, but for me is was hopeless, had lovely moist skin though
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We are heading to the UK to see family for 10 days (too long) and 3 days (not long enough) to see our best friends. We won't be packing many clothes, just enough to wrap the foody goodies in.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:18 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
We won't be packing many clothes, just enough to wrap the foody goodies in.

I always think about which clothes will be better for wrapping the crisps and squash in too
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:19 am
lush

Originally Posted by Englishtart
we used to send bottles of the stuff to the troops in the desert, it does work great on most people, but for me is was hopeless, had lovely moist skin though
What a great idea....I would never have thought of that...huge amounts of real life karma coming your way
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:25 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I always think about which clothes will be better for wrapping the crisps and squash in too
I normally just wrap the food in the dirty undies coming back. Gives everything a nice tang...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Morag McDoogal will become famous soon enoughMorag McDoogal will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bevinva

www.outerbanks.org
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Great place, nice people, good theme park, good historical tours etc. Nice to see Union Jack flown next to Stars and stripes as a matter of course.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What a great idea....I would never have thought of that...huge amounts of real life karma coming your way
Thank you hun