Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where are you going for Hollidays this year?

Where are you going for Hollidays this year?

Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you going for Hollidays this year?

Originally Posted by Juswus
Are you going in summer?

If you want to go later in fall, go to White Mountains in NH, and Green Mountains in Vertmont. (I've been researching both for my parents cos they're gonna do the whole "New England in Fall" thing this year - both sound fabulous)

My dream trip would be to go to wine country in Northern Cali, and then up to Crater Lake in Oregon.

I had really wanted to go home this Summer and over to Ireland for a friend's wedding, but I may not be able to make it...would have been nice about an hour outside Dublin...*sigh*

We will need to go during the school Summer break, so probably between July/August time, but we want to drive, not fly. NH and Vermont sound lovely, I have looked at NH a little bit online, I think that would be a good destination.

I have heard that Oregon is beautiful, one of the prettiest States, I think it might be nice in Summer, not too hot?

I was hoping to go home too, but with hubby being gone since Jan' I think he wants to stay here this year. I don't mind too much, I might just go over by myself later, if I can squirrel away some pennies. Hope you get to make it to your friends wedding, you never know!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not in the months of June/July/August...the OP doesn't want anywhere humid. NYC is a killer in the summer months.
ok, so NYC is out then...Thanx JG
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
We will need to go during the school Summer break, so probably between July/August time, but we want to drive, not fly. NH and Vermont sound lovely, I have looked at NH a little bit online, I think that would be a good destination.

I have heard that Oregon is beautiful, one of the prettiest States, I think it might be nice in Summer, not too hot?

I was hoping to go home too, but with hubby being gone since Jan' I think he wants to stay here this year. I don't mind too much, I might just go over by myself later, if I can squirrel away some pennies. Hope you get to make it to your friends wedding, you never know!
Oregon won't necessarily fit the bill for having an "old feel" but it is a great place to visit! We stayed in an old elementary school that was converted into a hotel ... really unique, the rooms have the old chalkboards, etc. and the school auditorium was converted to a movie theater. (You go for free if you stay there, and sit in comfy armchairs or sofas) (See the Kennedy School on this link: http://www.kennedyschool.com/)

Cannon Beach was beautiful as well. We stayed here (described as a historic "Europe style" hotel - you be the judge). http://www.cannonbeachhotel.com/
It was reasonable and the location couldn't be beat.

I would highly recommend Oregon.

If the east coast is what you'd like - I would think Maine would be very nice that time of year. We went in September when it was just getting chilly. Not sure about humidity?

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Apr 1st 2009 at 3:17 am.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
If the east coast is what you'd like - I would think Maine would be very nice that time of year. We went in September when it was just getting chilly. Not sure about humidity?
I have have heard Maine/Cape Cod are nice it is something I would like to do sometime.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

OK, any suggestions that are actually in the US?

What holiday? I can't think of anyplace on the east coast at this time of the year that is humid and full of mosquitos.

Why not look into NYC. They are having some great rates on hotels at travelocity right now. Or perhaps Virginia or No or So Carolina. There is always Boston which is a nice city with lots to do and see and many great areas within a short drive to visit.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Oregon won't necessarily fit the bill for having an "old feel" but it is a great place to visit! We stayed in an old elementary school that was converted into a hotel ... really unique, the rooms have the old chalkboards, etc. and the school auditorium was converted to a movie theater. (You go for free if you stay there, and sit in comfy armchairs or sofas) (See the Kennedy School on this link: http://www.kennedyschool.com/)

Cannon Beach was beautiful as well. We stayed here (described as a historic "Europe style" hotel - you be the judge). http://www.cannonbeachhotel.com/
It was reasonable and the location couldn't be beat.

I would highly recommend Oregon.

Thanx for the links hun, that hotel looks really nice, I am saving all the info, so hubby can have a look when he gets back. Oregon is sounding like it could be a winner! But still leaning toward the East.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
What holiday? I can't think of anyplace on the east coast at this time of the year that is humid and full of mosquitos.

Why not look into NYC. They are having some great rates on hotels at travelocity right now. Or perhaps Virginia or No or So Carolina. There is always Boston which is a nice city with lots to do and see and many great areas within a short drive to visit.
It will be in the Summer school break Rete, so I'm sure the prices will be hiked up by then! Boston is high on the list right now
Old Apr 1st 2009, 1:09 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

places I would go to on the East Coast are:

Savannah, Georgia..http://www.savannahvisit.com/

Charleston, South Carolina...http://www.charlestoncvb.com/

Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia..http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

oh wait just realised you want to go in the summer, OK probably not the best time due to the heat and Mozzies but they are still beautiful places and have plenty of history..
Old Apr 1st 2009, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lisag8070
places I would go to on the East Coast are:

Savannah, Georgia..http://www.savannahvisit.com/

Charleston, South Carolina...http://www.charlestoncvb.com/

Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia..http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

oh wait just realised you want to go in the summer, OK probably not the best time due to the heat and Mozzies but they are still beautiful places and have plenty of history..

Yeah, for some reason the mozzie's love my blood! I'm trying something new this year, I read/heard somewhere, if you stick a 'bounce' dryer sheet in your knickers, they leave you alone!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, for some reason the mozzie's love my blood! I'm trying something new this year, I read/heard somewhere, if you stick a 'bounce' dryer sheet in your knickers, they leave you alone!
So do I...all biting/stinging bugs love me. I recommend this...it's the only thing that works for me...if I miss a tiny spot with sprays and creams the bugs find it. I also don't put stuff on my skin that melts plastic.

http://www.lentek.com/bite-shield.html

I think Amazon sell them cheaper.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
So do I...all biting/stinging bugs love me. I recommend this...it's the only thing that works for me...if I miss a tiny spot with sprays and creams the bugs find it. I also don't put stuff on my skin that melts plastic.

http://www.lentek.com/bite-shield.html

I think Amazon sell them cheaper.
Thanx JG, I ordered one, the link you posted showed the bite shield item, but wouldn't let me go to 'order page'? it was $9.99 there, had to order it from Amazon, it was $16.99 there. If it works, I don't care though!
Will let you know how it works for me
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx JG, I ordered one, the link you posted showed the bite shield item, but wouldn't let me go to 'order page'? it was $9.99 there, had to order it from Amazon, it was $16.99 there. If it works, I don't care though!
Will let you know how it works for me
It doesn't only work for mozzies...I even clip it onto my swimsuit when I'm sunbathing in the pool...for some reason the deer/horse flies get me when I'm in there. Those bloody things hurt like hell...you can feel them biting you and irritation is with me for months.:curse:
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:11 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to decide where to go this year, not interested in Florida, S.Cali or Texas...been there and want to go somewhere different, I'm thinking of the East Coast, but don't want humidity or Mosquitoes! Would really like to go somewhere with an 'older' feel and good entertainment. This will probably be our last 'family' Holiday as our son will be 17 in October, he will most likely not want to be included next year
He likes to visit museums and both he and hubby like historical sites. Am I asking for too much, or is there a place that has it all?
Thank you for any input, you guys, I have faith that someone out in BE land can come help me out
I would say Boston, loads to do and being right on the ocean you get the ocean breeze and it helps keep the humidity down and the bugs away. If you want scenery then anywhere in New England would do the job, but bugs and humidity would be a killer.

I myself am thinking about camping on Moosehead lake for a week. Also took a week off during the Fryeburg Fair week, not sure what we will do for that week though.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to vote for Oregon too... it's a nice place.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sime303
I would say Boston, loads to do and being right on the ocean you get the ocean breeze and it helps keep the humidity down and the bugs away. If you want scenery then anywhere in New England would do the job, but bugs and humidity would be a killer.

I myself am thinking about camping on Moosehead lake for a week. Also took a week off during the Fryeburg Fair week, not sure what we will do for that week though.
Seems like everyone likes the idea of Boston Now I just have to get the 'boys' to get excited about it
If my new mozzy killer works, I may not be so restricted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.