Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Where are y'all from ?"

"Where are y'all from ?"

Old Sep 30th 2003, 10:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Where are y'all from ?"

Originally posted by hhmaker
Hi

I was there in 94 for about 6 months. Hated it, I lived in the bloody conrad hotel. My wife and kids stayed in England, and I commuted. What a crap life that was.
Ah thats a shame cos its a great place to live with a family. I knew a few guys on similar arrangements, and (apart from the ones that thought it meant they were bachelors again) they all hated it. Hell of a long commute though!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 10:04 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Firstly yepper went drinking down Cornwallis St many a time ... err should I be admitting that? lol. Kavanna's with its Thursday night "bull" was a fav.

Ohhh Portland ....I lived on Woolcombe Rd on the married quarters patch. How I remember the gale force fog (which blew the washing off our whirrly lines) ... hair raising walks along the cliffs to the pub oooops meant lighthouse. Arrrr for a pint of 4X (I think thats the name of it) was cider but tasted more like cheap sherry !! ... and didnt dare walk home along the cliff after any more than 2 pints hahaha

And last but not least Oxford ... where I was born, city of dreaming spires ... and muggers ... what a nasty place its turned into. A great shame really. My 3 oldest sons were born there (the maternity ward looked over Oxford Utd grounds) tis a reasonable place to have on your birth cert. My other 2 are Jocks ... ooops i mean Scottish born, still no shame in that

memories

Jan

oops nearly forgot Reading, I was based at Burghfield and we went into Reading town centre twice in the whole 5 weeks i was there. :-\

Hi Jan, I lived on westcliff road that led upto the navy quaters, my parents would have a few at the kimberlin club (cheap drinks I guess)...my old hang out was the New Inn in easton square.

Yes it was VERY windy there, hence that is why I am a windsurfer

The old myth there, is how all Portland people are hard headed and that no-one ever leaves the island......I ended up in Dallas so I guess I was the black sheep....

Cheers

which years did you live there?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:06 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Sheerness - Kent
Denmark
Rotherham - Yorkshire
Sarasota - FL
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:14 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
New boy to the site.

From Plymouth Guzz UK
Now in Tallahassee Florida.

Ex NAvy , So Ahoy shippers
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:23 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

Stanwell - Middlesex
Oxford (infamous Cowley Road)
Lightwater - Surrey
Chelmsford - Essex
Bedford
Bergen County - New Jersey

Seems to be a lot of Oxford inhabitants out there
Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

smiler125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone from Lubbock, Texas?
I will be moving there and would like to know what it's like to live there from a Brits point of view

Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Yosser I was on Portland from 1981 till early 1982, yep remember the kimberlin club although didnt use it much. We used to walk down to Church Ope ?sp. cove to buy the yummiest crabs, funny the things you remember eh ?

Jan
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:23 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Yosser I was on Portland from 1981 till early 1982, yep remember the kimberlin club although didnt use it much. We used to walk down to Church Ope ?sp. cove to buy the yummiest crabs, funny the things you remember eh ?

Jan

Ah yes Church ope, I spent many a summer school holiday down there, remember all those steps, it seemed like thousands, we used to count each one going down and back up and they never tallied the same....weird.

My best friends dad was in the Navy, he name was Wilson and he was the PT instructor down Osprey, but I think they lived there more mid-80's.

My friends rented out a house right by that pub "the Pulpit", next door to the lighthouse, I've had many a jar in there also, splendid ale it was too
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:26 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by excpomea
Hi all
New boy to the site.

From Plymouth Guzz UK
Now in Tallahassee Florida.

Ex NAvy , So Ahoy shippers

Originally posted by mattbutt
Hello everyone,

Stanwell - Middlesex
Oxford (infamous Cowley Road)
Lightwater - Surrey
Chelmsford - Essex
Bedford
Bergen County - New Jersey

Seems to be a lot of Oxford inhabitants out there
Welcome mattbutt and excpomea!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:57 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by tony_2003
I think they are supposed to be "from" Springfield here in Oregon...the creator is from here I believe.
Correct, Matt Groening grew up in Portland. The names of the characters are all Portland Street names IE: Lovejoy, Flanders, Disco Stu (OK, well maybe not Disco Stu, but you get the idea).
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:04 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by robclews
Not in the time i was there I left there in 2002 after 17 years and i can't recall ever seeing the Builders Arms, but they changed half the pub names so i guess it was still there under a different title. Where was it can you remember ?

Rob
It was on the main pedestrian precinct, I believe the opposite gas company, or perhaps William Hill (the bookie)?? It was quite infamous in it's day, the landlord was an ex-policeman (as so many of them are). I remember one night they were serving drinks by candle light as his electricity had been cut off due to non-payment of the bill. Never a dull moment!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:24 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
Correct, Matt Groening grew up in Portland. The names of the characters are all Portland Street names IE: Lovejoy, Flanders, Disco Stu (OK, well maybe not Disco Stu, but you get the idea).
Wouldn't you just love to live in Nahasapeemapetilon Street?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
It was on the main pedestrian precinct, I believe the opposite gas company, or perhaps William Hill (the bookie)?? It was quite infamous in it's day, the landlord was an ex-policeman (as so many of them are). I remember one night they were serving drinks by candle light as his electricity had been cut off due to non-payment of the bill. Never a dull moment!

Ok that would be either The Ship or the Heavitree Arms. The Building opposite William Hills is an estate agents now but was not a pub that I am aware of. All the names changed but the two I mentioned are very close and on the precinct, and both have a history of changing names.

Rob
Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this is a good a place as any to make my first post... Hi everyone :-D

Formly of Durham (northeast england)
Now living in Grand Rapids, MI

Ash
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Where are y'all from ?"

Originally posted by afosuk
I was talking to my fellow Mancunian (manc'76) on the PM and I found out both of us lived in Manchester and Liverpool.

So this got me to thinking...
(two thoughts in one day ! got to go for a lie down after this.)

Where did you start from (were born)/lived at/are now ?
I'll get the ball rolling:
Salford (Manchester)
Toxteth (Liverpool)
Barrow-In-Furness
Henley-On-Thames
Reading
Oxford
Greensboro, NC

Yeah I know, what a strange journal.

So where did the bus stop for you before you got here ?
Born Chiswick Maternity Hospital
Lived:
Hounslow Middx
Ashford Middx
Addlestone Surrey
Ashford Middx (again after divorce)
Feltham Middx
Tongham, Farnham, Surrey
Plano, Texas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.