Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where would you go in the US?

Where would you go in the US?

Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Jamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really nice
Default Where would you go in the US?

Hi

Looking into citizenship for my partner (Her dads a USC) then hopefully a visa for myself and we where discussing where we would like to go if everything goes ok with the Visa's.

Initially her family are in Virginia and I think we would settle there for a while but I would like to see more, If possible and finances allowed I would love to travel across the US picking up work as I go (Bar work, Labourer, Cleaner etc).

Its all up in the air until we hear about her passport and my visa but was wondering if you could choose where would you go.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you go in the US?

Originally Posted by Jamsieboi
Hi

Looking into citizenship for my partner (Her dads a USC) then hopefully a visa for myself and we where discussing where we would like to go if everything goes ok with the Visa's.

Initially her family are in Virginia and I think we would settle there for a while but I would like to see more, If possible and finances allowed I would love to travel across the US picking up work as I go (Bar work, Labourer, Cleaner etc).

Its all up in the air until we hear about her passport and my visa but was wondering if you could choose where would you go.
Eeerr .... 'partner ' should read wife to start with or nothing is going to happen..no visa nothing check out the search button on this subject it will open your eyes totally. Sorry
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Jamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really niceJamsieboi is just really nice

Thats all in hand, Im aware of the requirements.

Just a general question thats why I asked it in here.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

marlboro is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be more worried as to where your going to pick up a job. V.A. has some nice areas,lived there a while,me I like the beach so some where like that would suite me,Im land locked now ,live in T.N.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marlboro
I would be more worried as to where your going to pick up a job. V.A. has some nice areas,lived there a while,me I like the beach so some where like that would suite me,Im land locked now ,live in T.N.
We live in Phoenix Arizona and we love it here. Hubby works in Los Angeles sometimes, and hates it.

Rene
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Just been looking at medical insurance costs so perhaps the picking up work across the US is out the window lol.

My work background is in natural gas, already spoken to a few people around virginia who might be interested if I get a visa sorted
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Financial sponsor jobby might be your issue if neither of you have steady jobs...just something else on top of the medical insurance to consider.

If you want to see new england area though, there's blueberry and spud picking for labour work, pretty rough picking wild blueberries...sure the big places use machines, but the smaller places don't, plus the machines knacker the smaller wild berries.

The mountains usually need hired help for stuff during the winter but also a lot of them have golf courses during the summer, working the greens can be half decent work especially with tips, but that is a bit rough going as it were.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

The only realistic answer that can possibly be given right now, if you need to work for a living, is "Wherever you can find a job". If your background is in gas, you might try Houston given the concentration on the oil/gas industry there. Houston seems to be very popular amongst the folks on this board.

Last edited by Dan725; Aug 17th 2009 at 2:19 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Was your partner's Dad a USC when she was born? If not, what type of timeframe are you working towards?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Was your partner's Dad a USC when she was born? If not, what type of timeframe are you working towards?
Based on what he posted previously, she's definitely a USC, just needs to get her passport.

IMO having done it different ways, I'd say just save the money for an extended road trip and travel without planning to have to work.
We were going to do a big trip when we first came over but gas prices and little things bogged us down. Now it's still on the to do list.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi meauxna

The road trip suggestion sounds like it could be the best bet. I suppose if we are living over there a week here and there travelling might be enough.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Craigslist for some truly great deals on used motorhomes and campers for pennies on the dollar, which might keep your costs down and permit you to roam the roads less travelled.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi meauxna

The road trip suggestion sounds like it could be the best bet. I suppose if we are living over there a week here and there travelling might be enough.
Oh you can go for more than a week at a whack.. a week's just starting to get away..
My biggest road trip was six months long; we alternated camping with stays at friends' houses and occasional motels. It's an incredible way to experience the US.

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Check out Craigslist for some truly great deals on used motorhomes and campers for pennies on the dollar, which might keep your costs down and permit you to roam the roads less travelled.
This is just what we did. I had really wanted a VW van but oh my, the prices! So we got a conversion van and made a few mods. Unfortunately, the price of gas really spiked at the same time that funds were plummeting. The van's gone now, for the El Camino, but we've had some good road trips with the car too. Just no wild bear camping.
Remember, you can stay for free in any National Forest.