Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where would I get a mortgage for a US property im UKC

Wikiposts

Where would I get a mortgage for a US property im UKC

Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all
Default Re: Where would I get a mortgage for a US property im UKC

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
That's Murphy as in Murphy's law.

I aspire to own something as new as 1996 . But then again I'm one of those perverts who tends to pay cash for vehicles in 99% of cases.

I'm sure it'll help, my post was more along the lines of getting back on your feet before you two jump down the next potential hole. I know, that's not the American way :P but given that a lot of marriages fall apart because of money issues and money related stress, I would recommend putting yourselves on sounder financial footing before taking on the massive commitment that is a house.
Its always better to buy cash, thats what my parents have always done, but in our case we never had that much available. or at least not with one wage anyway.

oh very true indeed. we have always had the big money issue though. And yes it causes alot of stress, but we always know at the end of the day everything will be ok.

The main reason we want to buy, is just that we have always rented, and feel that we have been throwing our money away. My dad has said if we find a place he will pay our deposit, which is great news, so we just need to get the mortgage

We won't be jumping into anything though, at least a year probably, just wanted to know its not as tough as i thought it would be

And hubby is already researching the way to improve his credit
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishspouse
Its always better to buy cash...
That really depends on your end goal. If you're trying not to accumulate further debt, then yes. If you're trying to increase your credit worthiness, then no.

Ian
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
My take on it is that I would try to get hubby's finances back on track first; if he's got problems keeping up with his current debt payments already, then buying a house and having Murphy move into the spare bedroom is going to cause a huge mess.
If you don't pay your rent, you get chucked out, and if you don't pay your mortgage, you also get chucked out. But there are more safety nets for the mortgagee than the renter.

As long as you don't buy beyond your income, it's often better to pay your mortgage rather than your landlord's. Especially in today's housing market.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you don't pay your rent, you get chucked out, and if you don't pay your mortgage, you also get chucked out. But there are more safety nets for the mortgagee than the renter.

As long as you don't buy beyond your income, it's often better to pay your mortgage rather than your landlord's. Especially in today's housing market.
Yeah indeed.

We wouldnt buy expensive, just what we need, maybe a modest 2 bed with yard. Probably no more than $100,000
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishspouse
We wouldnt buy expensive, just what we need, maybe a modest 2 bed with yard. Probably no more than $100,000
Ah, so you plan on living out in the country then. Beautiful places available all over.

Ian
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Ah, so you plan on living out in the country then. Beautiful places available all over.

Ian
no not country. outskirts of a city. Ideally no more than 15-20 mins drive from busy centre

We have been looking at OK city or kansas city, have found many 2 beds for around that price. We both know a bit about renovation too, so dont mind getting our hands dirty if a place needs some modernization
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
No probs getting a place in Phoenix for that price at the moment!