Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where in USA is most like UK?!

Where in USA is most like UK?!

Old Apr 29th 2015, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

dyqik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in USA is most like UK?!

I'm going to agree with almost every one else and say Boston/Cambridge and surrounding towns. And the plus side to visiting here is that Portland, ME and NYC are easy train rides away, and Montreal (for a different take on the Left-side-of-the-Atlantic version of a European culture) is close enough for a road-trip/short vacation.

Originally Posted by SuperScienceGrl
Haha I really would agree it's usually a bad way to go. However, people here (profs, administrators... me) are all for it this time around.

When I first posted this, I was deeply concerned that I would no longer have journal access, because that's what happens in an official leave of absence here. Can you even imagine trying to work?! Paper journals?! Luckily, I've been able to get an 'unofficial' leave of absence. I was pretty concerned for a bit, though.

Yep. I actually need this though. I'm going to check in with the supervisor every 3-4 weeks, which is as often as we have individual meetings anyway. I don't even require replies - just to make notes on what's going on. Also... he's pretty good, with, well, everything. Note that I'm not remotely miserable with my lab/supervisor/research situation - I haven't even left yet but those are making me want to come back already!
Have you explored the possibilities of a summer placement in another lab, wherever you end up heading to, on a short research project related to your own? It can be very good to see a different lab culture, even if you like your own, and to make contacts within a different research group and dept (helpful for the future, and for establishing some academic independence from your advisor), and it means that you wouldn't just be limited to libraries. If your research has gone a little distance already, there's probably opportunities to give a talk somewhere as well, which is good for making connections.

Here at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, we have substantial summer intern program that brings undergrad and early grad students here for a couple of months to work on specific piece of work. Unfortunately we're outside of your field (unless astro-chemistry is close to what you do), but I'm sure there are other programs around.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Boston would make sense since it was a major city back in the day the English were controlling the US.
Boston was a relatively small town back when we were still in charge - it was only around 15,000 people. Philly was quite a bit larger at around 30,000 and that was the largest settlement in British North America.

Parts of Boston's streetscape feel like London on a smaller scale - the irregular street grid, the federalist (Georgian) architecture, and the mix of old and new. It's very American though in terms of it's overall feel and culture.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 7:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
...It's very American though in terms of it's overall feel and culture.
And it's surprisingly conservative, not very liberal feeling as expected over all.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:35 am
Just Joined

josieluvstony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,, I live in California, Not far from San Francisco,, Yes, it is expensive; however, you could find like minded people in some respect, I am on the fence, BIG TIME, about the South, and the weather is awful for many summer months in the South. I know quite a few expats here and if you would ever like some friendly advice , let me know,They would be happy to communicate with you- I , on the other hand, am trying to move to England, and I will be applying for a UKM. Oh, also, The Pacific Northwest is cool and very hip, in a bohemian sorta way. I did not encounter that culture in England, so not sure if thats what your after .. Geographically and aesthetically Lovely, very artsy with English weather. There is a site, i think still exists, findyourspot.com,, it's lengthy , i hope that helps.. God Luck, sorry for the ramble
Old Apr 30th 2015, 4:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Boston was a relatively small town back when we were still in charge - it was only around 15,000 people. Philly was quite a bit larger at around 30,000 and that was the largest settlement in British North America.

Parts of Boston's streetscape feel like London on a smaller scale - the irregular street grid, the federalist (Georgian) architecture, and the mix of old and new. It's very American though in terms of it's overall feel and culture.
Everything in the US is going to feel American, its in America, but a city like Boston will have more British feeling elements then a city that didn't exist when the British were in charge, anyone trying to find a place with total British feeling and culture will probably be disappointed.

Boston may have been smaller then Philli but it was still a major city, and part of the 4 major city's of colonial america, I never proclaimed it was the largest.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 30th 2015 at 4:16 am.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 4:54 am
Just Joined

josieluvstony is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to agree, the eastern cities will have more of that"European Feel", Boston , great city, and Philly, perhaps even Baltimore.. ? It's just the harsh winters..
Old Apr 30th 2015, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

English America, Eastern Seaboard, especially Florida. South is Scot Irish, Southwest is Spanish and everywhere else is Northern European (German Scandinavian Slavic). Pick your poison. America ain't Europe though, it's pretty culturally homogeneous considering.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Boston may have been smaller then Philli but it was still a major city, and part of the 4 major city's of colonial america, I never proclaimed it was the largest.
Sorry for misunderstanding. I guess it's always been interesting to me how small these places were when they fought the war of independence. New York's population for example was only about 25,000 in 1776 but the expeditionary force sent to capture it by the British numbered 30,000.

My point should have been that the vast majority of Boston's growth took place post independence - before then it was a small and economically stagnant town which was why Benjamin Franklin left for Philadelphia. It was the American industrial revolution which turned it into a major city. It probably feels more British because a) it doesn't have a grid system (except for the Back Bay and the South End) b) the ruling class were the Brahmins (the descendants of the original British settlers) who very much emulated the arts, architecture and culture of the British aristocracy and c) there's a large population of Irish & Yankee descent some of whom have strong links to their mother countries.

You could argue it's the quintessentially American city as well though - birthplace of the revolution, birthplace of post-independence American art, literature and culture, birthplace of the american industrial revolution (after Pawtucket) and the educator of much of America's elite. Also a fair chunk of the city is made up of three decker housing which was built as a New England alternative to the brick terraced housing you find in Britain and Mid Atlantic industrial cities.

Originally Posted by Bob
And it's surprisingly conservative, not very liberal feeling as expected over all.
Good point - this is one of the things you can trip up on. Massachusetts is a liberal state overall but there are many pockets of Republicans (hence why it elects GOP governors). I'd say the state as a whole is socially liberal and fiscally conservative; certain of the suburbs of Boston are very conservative. At this point I might as well go ahead and 'like' the Fox News feed on Facebook because everyday a good proportion of my friends from MA are posting their stuff approvingly.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Apr 30th 2015 at 1:37 pm.
Old May 2nd 2015, 4:51 am
Just Joined

GeordieinJersey is just really niceGeordieinJersey is just really niceGeordieinJersey is just really niceGeordieinJersey is just really niceGeordieinJersey is just really niceGeordieinJersey is just really niceGeordieinJersey is just really niceGeordieinJersey is just really niceGeordieinJersey is just really niceGeordieinJersey is just really niceGeordieinJersey is just really nice

Well I live in New Jersey just across the Delaware river from Pennsylvania which always th reminds me of England, Bucks county is lovely, rolling hills , trees, the river, beautiful. If you want a fun friendly city then I think Philadelphia is it . Very walkable not too large and affordable . History in spades , it's where the revolution started and also looks quite british lots of old colonial buildings . Great night life and culture . Good luck where ever you decide to go and enjoy your time off.
Old May 28th 2015, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who has a STEM degree you are better off in the following states: California, Massachusetts, Florida, North Carolina, Washington, Maryland, New Jersey.

I hope that helps.

Originally Posted by SuperScienceGrl
@Sally Chemistry. And I love your userpic!

I just realized that I don't know if there's some way I can get access to libraries of other universities like you can in the UK...? I just looked at my own institution's website and it doesn't seem like that is a thing! I was imagining myself holed up in a library 24/7, wearing glasses and Renaissance maxi-dresses. [Spoiler: I don't wear either of those things.] The library workers whispering "who is that woman? She's always here. Such an enigma!". ...Heh heh.
Old May 28th 2015, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Anyone who has a STEM degree you are better off in the following states: California, Massachusetts, Florida, North Carolina, Washington, Maryland, New Jersey.
Why?
Old May 28th 2015, 8:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Why?
Good hubs for jobs in those fields.
Old May 28th 2015, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

That is where most of the STEM industries are located. Just like Oil drilling jobs are huge in TX and CO etc.

Originally Posted by Owen778
Why?
Old May 28th 2015, 8:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeordieinJersey
If you want a fun friendly city then I think Philadelphia is it . Very walkable not too large and affordable . History in spades , it's where the revolution started and also looks quite british lots of old colonial buildings .
I think the residents on Concord and Lexington might disagree about where the Revolution started.
Old May 28th 2015, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
That is where most of the STEM industries are located. Just like Oil drilling jobs are huge in TX and CO etc.
Your answer is ironic, given that the oil companies employ huge numbers of staff with STEM degrees, and you don't have Texas or Colorado on your list.

I'm not normally one to defend Texas, but Austin is a growing tech hub too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.