Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where tp propose in NYC?

Where tp propose in NYC?

Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Where tp propose in NYC?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have to disagree...the view of Manhattan from Jersey is by far the best...but I am biased.

To the OP one of my fav restaurants is The Chart House...it is in NJ opposite the ESB. The view is breathtaking...it was even better before the ****** destroyed the Towers.:curse:

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/nort...nt/v-110324935

We have spent many Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve there.

Oooooh, I'm going there tomorrow night for dinner! I haven't been there before but it's our friend's birthday and her husband sent us an e-vite via OpenTable.com

http://www.opentable.com/rest_profil...&kc=1&ref=1041

I was hoping that it would be Amanda's in Hoboken, which is another beautiful restaurant (albeit without the view!). We've had dinner/lunch there a few times and went to a wedding reception there - it's very romantic but not 'twee':

http://www.amandasrestaurant.com (check it out, JG!)
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:36 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where tp propose in NYC?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Haven't read all replies so apologies if this has already been suggested but my hubby proposed to me whilst ice skating on the Wollman Rink in Central Park. Gorgeous.

He then took me to Tiffany's on 5th Ave to choose my ring and then for champers at the Plaza to really round things off!

Very memorable and romantic (esp as it was in Jan and was snowing so just added to the atmosphere!).

Best of luck!
awwwwwwwwwwww...that all sounds wonderful
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:40 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have to disagree...the view of Manhattan from Jersey is by far the best...but I am biased.

To the OP one of my fav restaurants is The Chart House...it is in NJ opposite the ESB. The view is breathtaking...it was even better before the ****** destroyed the Towers.:curse:

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/nort...nt/v-110324935

We have spent many Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve there.
The Chart House is where I got my very first view of New York. Then it burned down in about 2001, but I assume they've rebuilt it again. Good food, awesome view.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
The Chart House is where I got my very first view of New York. Then it burned down in about 2001, but I assume they've rebuilt it again. Good food, awesome view.
It burned down in '98 and reopened in 2000. It was rebuilt and not for the first time. One winter in the early '90's it literally fell into the icy Hudson. IMHO the food isn't as good as it used to be...but the view is fabulous.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 1st 2008 at 11:20 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Chart House here in Westchester Cty, NY as well. Right on the Hudson River in Dobbs Ferry. Its between the Tappen Zee Bridge and the George Washington with a view of both Manhattan and New Jersey Palisades.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
We have a Chart House here in Westchester Cty, NY as well. Right on the Hudson River in Dobbs Ferry. Its between the Tappen Zee Bridge and the George Washington with a view of both Manhattan and New Jersey Palisades.
I've not been to that one. There are several...I know there's one in Boston and Philly. The locations seem to be very similar...at the water's edge with great views.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:30 am
Just Joined

andoman is an unknown quantity at this point

I say Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn. It's quite beautiful I highly recommend seeing it. The neighborhood is really nice so I'd make sure to wear your best clothes and finest jewelry.

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:05 am
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andoman
I say Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn. It's quite beautiful I highly recommend seeing it. The neighborhood is really nice so I'd make sure to wear your best clothes and finest jewelry.

Are we referring to the "most dangerous place in NYC?" to quote wikipedia
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andoman

This was your first post to the community, and your next one is asking how to move your GF here illegally (well thought out plan apparently).

Charming. Very charming.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

GoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really nice

Giantaxe
Aw. That is sooo romantic. Great place to propose at night with the downtown Manhattan skyline.

Juswus: definitely do the carriage ride through Central Park...with the stench of rotting horse manure wafting in your face. The horses also may look beautiful but they live in foul conditions and aren't treated that great. Not romantic if you knew the truth.

Empire State Building? You and 60 million people a year all doing the same thing.

Sir Denis Eaten-Hogg: Will you marry me? That's the most romantic proposal EVER.

Andoman: Bedstuy? She'd better bring handgun too then and a mobile phone to call the cops when hubby get's stabbed to death after taking out the ring out of his pocket.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:19 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldFinger
The horses also may look beautiful but they live in foul conditions and aren't treated that great. Not romantic if you knew the truth.
seriously?

that makes me feel crap..*sigh*
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Where tp propose in NYC?

Originally Posted by Juswus
seriously?

that makes me feel crap..*sigh*
True. And quite a number of the poor horses are killed each year in car accidents.

Slightly O/T; I recently went to meet my husband at his office in Times Square, so waited downstairs in the reception area by the glass windows. Suddenly a NYP cop was on his horse, cantering down Broadway! It seemed surreal. Poor horse.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Suddenly a NYP cop was on his horse, cantering down Broadway! It seemed surreal. Poor horse.
They do wear special shoes for the concrete.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:31 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
True. And quite a number of the poor horses are killed each year in car accidents.

Slightly O/T; I recently went to meet my husband at his office in Times Square, so waited downstairs in the reception area by the glass windows. Suddenly a NYP cop was on his horse, cantering down Broadway! It seemed surreal. Poor horse.
I don't wish to sound callous but wasn't the US conquered using horses? (Covers head awaiting fallout)

Last edited by Phychlone; Apr 4th 2008 at 6:35 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:36 pm

Conquered?
The US? (I don't remember that from history class...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.