British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where to stay in Vancouver. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/where-stay-vancouver-37304/)

Peter Jul 12th 2001 1:02 am

To all you Canadians who had their interview in Vancouver, can you recommend a hotel
to stay at? I will be making this trip within the month or so.

Thanks,

Peter (CDN) & Kimberly (USA)

Richelle Thalgott Jul 12th 2001 2:36 am

You know, I was about to post the same question as soon as I scanned through all the
new posts...a hotel close to the US consulate would be really nice. Another question,
what part of the city is the consulate in? Would it be okay to stay downtown in a
hotel(so I can take an airport shuttle)? I'm getting frustrating trying to figure out
where the consolute is located...

Tonya

>
recommend
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

LKish Jul 12th 2001 1:40 pm

Please keep in mind that it is currently Cruise Ship Season and many of the downtown
hotels are booked solid until late September.

The Consulate is downtown, right in the middle of everything. ALSO - BC Transit has
been on strike (buses) for 100 days so don't count on them. Taxi Service although
available may be hard to flag down. I would suggest staying near the Consulate (Days
Inn on W Pender, or Robson Street Hotels that are old but clean). Check out
www.mybc.com for some of those hotels.

The Airport Shuttle Bus (YVR Bus - it is a green bus) runs from the Airport to major
downtown hotels. Fairly Cheap so if you have to stay out at the airport you can.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email us directly at [email protected]
(my husband Chris is a 15 yr veteran of the Vancouver Cab business).

Chris and Linda Can-Am Class of 1998

Jeremy Jul 12th 2001 7:05 pm

I stayed at the YMCA downtown in Vancouver. It's about 8 blocks away from the consulate. It's nothing fancy, but for one night it's cheap and clean. And it might not be booked full as opposed to the hotels.

Just a thought. Good luck.

leopa Jul 15th 2001 2:19 pm

Peter wrote:

>
    >
    >

The Burrard Motor Inn is located on Burrard St at about the 1000 block. It is not a
fancy place but it is clean and good. employees of B.C. Hydro &Power are regularly
booked in there. That includes their regional managers. It is not likely that they
would be all booked up as they have had a policy to leave a number of rooms for
one-nighters. It is located about 1/2 mile from the consulate. (just a walk towards
the waterfront). If you plan on having your medical done in Vancouver, it is just
about across the street from Dr. (Rip-off). Larry

bc_39 Jul 17th 2001 11:43 pm

HI,

I stayed at the Days Inn in downtown Vancouvewr in May when I had my interview. It's real close, about 1 block from the Consulate. They even provide a shuttle if needed. Was a little pricey, about $125 for a night, but was very, very close.

Good luck on your interviews.