Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Miami?

Where to stay in Miami?

Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:38 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Where to stay in Miami?

Hi all,

I'll be visiting Miami (from Australia) for a week in September as part of a longer trip across the states. I don't want to spend too much (about US$150 a night) for a twin share room.

Needs: Safety is at the top of the list...not seedy areas
car parking
modern decor
within reach of decent bars / restaurants etc

Not bothered about:

Room size - no kids so a modest sized room
Pools / gyms, etc
Internet connection

I'll be checking out trip advisor, etc but always good to hear from expat poms. So any suggestions on where to stay?

Also...if anyone has any suggestions on what to do while in Miami that would be great. I'm making a point of going to see the Dolphins play...was going to take a trip down to Key West and then generally lounge on a beach. Thoughts welcome though.

Ta

Rob
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to stay in Miami?

One thing to remember is that the hotel's also have a daily parking rate,not all, but that can add more $$$ to your room stay....it's low season/hurricane watch.sept...personally, i would stay on miami beach not in miami city...The key's is expensive to Stay but again..you could stay in marathon, and drive to key west..low budget and high budget motel's/hotels line the key's, all along the only road to the key's..overseas hwy....
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the Biltmore for Sunday Champagne Brunch (best ever)- Get a taxi!

http://www.biltmorehotel.com/dining/brunch.php
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:07 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Hi all,

I'll be visiting Miami (from Australia) for a week in September as part of a longer trip across the states. I don't want to spend too much (about US$150 a night) for a twin share room.

car parking
modern decor
within reach of decent bars / restaurants etc

Not bothered about:

Room size - no kids so a modest sized room
Pools / gyms, etc
Internet connection

I'll be checking out trip advisor, etc but always good to hear from expat poms. So any suggestions on where to stay?

Also...if anyone has any suggestions on what to do while in Miami that would be great. I'm making a point of going to see the Dolphins play...was going to take a trip down to Key West and then generally lounge on a beach. Thoughts welcome though.

Ta

Rob

I personally use priceline and bid on hotels..as the other poster said stay in Miami and visit Key west for the day.. Hotels in Key west are upward of $200 a night and that was in February.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

New York perhaps?

I got the Trump Sonesta for about $150/night on Priceline once, over a weekend too, but not in September.

All the hotels are on Expedia etc. so I would check there first. My advice is stay only one-or-two streets from the actual beach on Miami-Beach - you really don't want to be further back. Also, go for a hotel in either South or North Miami-beach, not mid-Miami-Beach because it's practically a ghetto.

Actually perhaps you should avoid North Miami-Beach too because you have to get a car/taxi/scooter to get to South Beach if you want to go out.

ETA: Things to do depend on what you're into really, and how much you want to spend. Miami is a party capital - there's bars and clubs on South Beach. If you have kids then there's the Zoo, Seaquarium and Monkey Jungle Island. Watersports are big here too - especially sea fishing and diving.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Apr 29th 2010 at 8:22 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:45 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Thanks guys that's really great insight. I'm debating whether to get a car or not...probably wait to see how much $$$$ is left in my wallet by the time I get in to MIA.

Will start to look on hotel.com and expedia to see what i can get around south beach perhaps..

Thanks again
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys that's really great insight. I'm debating whether to get a car or not...probably wait to see how much $$$$ is left in my wallet by the time I get in to MIA.

Will start to look on hotel.com and expedia to see what i can get around south beach perhaps..

Thanks again
If you want to go to Key West then get the car, it will take 1/2 day to get there. Otherwise you don't really need one unless you want to take kids somewhere.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I go to Miami quite a lot and my favourite hotel on South Beach is the Blue Moon -http://www.bluemoonhotel.com/main.html. It's right in the middle of the action but far enough away from the noisy bars, so should you want to sleep at night, you can.
You have to pay a daily rate for valet parking which is upwards of $15 a day. I think there is a shuttle bus up to Aventura to go shopping, although there is good boutique shopping around South Beach.
A day in Fort Lauderdale is pretty cool too, Las Olas Riverfront is great for dining and entertainment.

I love Miami
Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:27 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

I was at a business function yesterday lunchtime with a guy from North Carolina. He suggested some similar points to you guys. He said south beach for a few days and then head down to key west.

Thanks all for your comments.