Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I think you misunderstood Rete
i took it to mean that those were the only choices available. Not judgmental but factual. I also find your reaction "interesting" since it appears to me that your status in the USA appears to be "housewife".
My status appears to be housewife? Where and how?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:08 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
My status appears to be housewife? Where and how?
"I am a volunteer but definitely not a housewife - but if someone wants to be a housewife, who are we to sneer at them? I also regularly leave the country to work on short term projects back home in order to keep my client list fresh and updated for when I can change my status or leave the country (whichever happens first). H4 is really what you make of it. Is it ideal? No. But it's not all that bad either."

H4?
can't work in the USA?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

"I am a volunteer but definitely not a housewife - but if someone wants to be a housewife, who are we to sneer at them? I also regularly leave the country to work on short term projects back home in order to keep my client list fresh and updated for when I can change my status or leave the country (whichever happens first). H4 is really what you make of it. Is it ideal? No. But it's not all that bad either."

H4?
can't work in the USA?
Sure, but that does not make me a housewife and I will never describe myself as one. As you can read above, I still work (outside the country) and I fill my time between projects in the US with volunteering and Board (unpaid) work. How you can conclude that I cook, clean and otherwise spend my time married to my house is quite beyond me. Would you call a male H4 holder a house husband? I bet you wouldn't.

Yes, it's the shittiest visa there is but all I am trying to point out is that there are ways to make H4 bearable.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think you misunderstood Rete
i took it to mean that those were the only choices available. Not judgmental but factual. I also find your reaction "interesting" since it appears to me that your status in the USA appears to be "housewife".
I agree.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree.
Thank you. I now feel validated as a person*

*may denote sarcasm.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, but that does not make me a housewife and I will never describe myself as one. As you can read above, I still work (outside the country) and I fill my time between projects in the US with volunteering and Board (unpaid) work. How you can conclude that I cook, clean and otherwise spend my time married to my house is quite beyond me. Would you call a male H4 holder a house husband? I bet you wouldn't.

Yes, it's the shittiest visa there is but all I am trying to point out is that there are ways to make H4 bearable.
TBH quite a lot of us do the household management stuff and work to earn money needed by our families. I am glad you manage to fill your time being a volunteer whilst your husband does his job.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I fill my time between projects in the US with volunteering and Board (unpaid) work. ....
You forgot "b!tçhing and moaning on British Expats".
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TBH quite a lot of us do the household management stuff and work to earn money needed by our families. I am glad you manage to fill your time being a volunteer whilst your husband does his job.
But I also do *my* job too. So your point is?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You forgot "b!tçhing and moaning on British Expats".
Being censored for comments that are nowhere near as crass and insulting as this and watching people like you say whatever you like. My fave hobby!
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I now feel validated as a person*

*may denote sarcasm.
Quite frankly I couldn't care less how you feel...but I do care about how you misinterpreted Rete's post.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:25 pm
Austin. TX.

Would you call a male H4 holder a house husband? I bet you wouldn't.
Actually, on my very upper middle class street there are 3 men who stay at home whilst their wives go out to do their jobs. I call them "stay at home dads" just as I call the mums "stay at home mums". I wouldn't call a woman a housewife either. Rete chose that word and I'm ok with that.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Quite frankly I couldn't care less how you feel...but I do care about how you misinterpreted Rete's post.
Quite frankly you have no business telling me how I interpret other people's posts.

Over and out chums.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Actually, on my very upper middle class street there are 3 men who stay at home whilst their wives go out to do their jobs. I call them "stay at home dads" just as I call the mums "stay at home mums". I wouldn't call a woman a housewife either. Rete chose that word and I'm ok with that.
And if they have no children? Stay at home...wives?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Quite frankly you have no business telling me how I interpret other people's posts.

Over and out chums.
Thank goodness...don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank goodness...don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Totally uncalled for. I guess the delete button doesn't work on your own posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.