Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old Dec 8th 2016, 12:19 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's interesting. The last time I looked the regional allocation was such that most regions had a success rate each year in the 1.5%-1.9% range, and the only exception was Oceana at around 6.5%. Obviously fewer applicants pushes up the success rate.
It does vary from year to year - those stats are for 2015 - but Oceania consistently streets ahead. A low population combined with the E-3 program must certainly help.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 3:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

H2b might work but temporary but could lead to EB3.

His qualification if relating to a US system so perhaps they could help?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 3:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Let's say you could qualify academically/experience wise.... the biggest issue after that is sponsorship on the H-1B program. You will need an employer to sponsor you. Then you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting one of the 65,000 visas available.
And if you were able to get an H-1B visa, your partner, whom you must be married to at the time, will qualify for an H visa as well. ONLY she would not be able to work, obtain a social security number (not eligible for one), and would be left to only be a volunteer and a housewife.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 3:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phattwoodcooper
Thank you for actual kind words instead of just putting me down. Half the people commenting wouldn't last a day in my job anyway. But well have a look into things but maybe it is just a pipe dream, but from what I've read the usa are crying for skilled trade workers that actually want to work. Yes there maybe thousands of scaffolders but only around 10℅ are any good... But we can do but try. So thank you
I have read the postings here to you and NO ONE has put you down. They have offered you reality. Your job, while it is a hard laboring position, is not one that qualifies for a work visa as a 'construction' worker. Is telling you that negative? Yes, because it is not what you want to hear but it is putting you down or dishing your skill.

The US is not crying for skilled trade workers. Until recently I lived in the NYC area. Believe me the neighborhood I moved from is home to straight from Ireland immigrants, both legal and illegal. Guess what? They are all in the building, construction and skilled labor trades. They are begging for work. There is not much to be had. Also you must be part of a union in order to work in this part of the US.

Yes, there are other avenues open for immigrating and I offered one to you in my first post to you and that was perhaps the possibility that you or the gf partner can participate in the diversity lottery if either of you were born in a country other than the UK which is eligible to participate.

You both can return to school and get advanced degrees in the fields that US work visas cover.

You can leave your partner and talk up and 'fall in love' with an American to marry and get a marriage based visa. Illegal if you really are only using her to gain an immigration benefit.

You can save up and when you have a quarter of a million dollars to invest go the E2 visa route.

You can try to emigrate to Canada and after you do and become a Canadian citizen, perhaps qualify for a TN-1 visa which is only available to Canadian citizens.

Each of us is sorry that you don't have a clear cut way to emigrate to the US. But that is reality. The US is one of the most difficult countries to get a visa to live and work in.

If you find the facts negative, then the problem is with you and not the posters who are just telling you how things are.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 8th 2016 at 3:32 am.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 3:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
I have read the postings here to you and NO ONE has put you down. They have offered you reality. Your job, while it is a hard laboring position, is not one that qualifies for a work visa as a 'construction' worker. Is telling you that negative? Yes, because it is not what you want to hear but it is putting you down or dishing your skill.

The US is not crying for skilled trade workers. Until recently I lived in the NYC area. Believe me the neighborhood I moved from is home to straight from Ireland immigrants, both legal and illegal. Guess what? They are all in the building, construction and skilled labor trades. They are begging for work. There is not much to be had. Also you must be part of a union in order to work in this part of the US.

Yes, there are other avenues open for immigrating and I offered one to you in my first post to you and that was perhaps the possibility that you or the gf partner can participate in the diversity lottery if either of you were born in a country other than the UK which is eligible to participate.

You both can return to school and get advanced degrees in the fields that US work visas cover.

You can leave your partner and talk up and 'fall in love' with an American to marry and get a marriage based visa. Illegal if you really are only using her to gain an immigration benefit.

You can save up and when you have a quarter of a million dollars to invest go the E2 visa route.

You can try to emigrate to Canada and after you do and become a Canadian citizen, perhaps qualify for a TN-1 visa which is only available to Canadian citizens.

Each of us is sorry that you don't have a clear cut way to emigrate to the US. But that is reality. The US is one of the most difficult countries to get a visa to live and work in.

If you find the facts negative, then the problem is with you and not the posters who are just telling you how things are.
And the ones I mentioned.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rete;12124104

The US is not crying for skilled trade workers. Until recently I lived in the NYC area. Believe me the neighborhood I moved from is home to straight from Ireland immigrants, both legal and illegal. Guess what? They are all in the building, construction and skilled labor trades. They are begging for work. There is not much to be had. Also you must be part of a union in order to work in this part of the US. [/QUOTE]

As someone who is a retired construction manager, although I still do some, I agree with what you say. I know of skilled trades who are looking for jobs.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Phattwoodcooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep sorry guys just over reacted a tadge... But it'll have to be a holiday destination... So looks like nz is on the cards now less Hassel an my job is on imidate skilled worker list so ide be granted almost straight away so thanks for all your help an put our mind to rest. Thanks again.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Yep sorry guys just over reacted a tadge... But it'll have to be a holiday destination... So looks like nz is on the cards now less Hassel an my job is on imidate skilled worker list so ide be granted almost straight away so thanks for all your help an put our mind to rest. Thanks again.
Good luck in pursuing your dream.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 3:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome, and goodluck with your NZ adventure.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 3:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If it's North America you're after (and perhaps not being so far away from the UK), then Canada is worth a look too. It does have a Skilled Trades program, unlike the US, so would be easier to move to than the US.

Not sure anywhere in NZ or Canada is quite like Manhattan though! But hopefully you'll find somewhere to suit, or if your heart is set on the US, then you can do it but just make it a longer term plan.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

I would totally suggest Canada but the Manhattan thing stopped me, i guess the closest Canada has is possibly Vancouver or Toronto. Good luck!
Old Dec 8th 2016, 10:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
Can you say that in English please.
really?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And if you were able to get an H-1B visa, your partner, whom you must be married to at the time, will qualify for an H visa as well. ONLY she would not be able to work, obtain a social security number (not eligible for one), and would be left to only be a volunteer and a housewife.
'Left *only* to be a volunteer and be a housewife'? That's a very demeaning statement.

I am a volunteer but definitely not a housewife - but if someone wants to be a housewife, who are we to sneer at them? I also regularly leave the country to work on short term projects back home in order to keep my client list fresh and updated for when I can change my status or leave the country (whichever happens first). H4 is really what you make of it. Is it ideal? No. But it's not all that bad either.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 10:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

See you in the NZ forum then.

My husband and I emigrated to NZ 13 yrs ago . Husband is a tradie.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 10:58 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
'Left *only* to be a volunteer and be a housewife'? That's a very demeaning statement.

I am a volunteer but definitely not a housewife - but if someone wants to be a housewife, who are we to sneer at them? I also regularly leave the country to work on short term projects back home in order to keep my client list fresh and updated for when I can change my status or leave the country (whichever happens first). H4 is really what you make of it. Is it ideal? No. But it's not all that bad either.
I think you misunderstood Rete
i took it to mean that those were the only choices available. Not judgmental but factual. I also find your reaction "interesting" since it appears to me that your status in the USA appears to be "housewife".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.