Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Phattwoodcooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi my partner and I are very keen at looking at making the move to the U.S. but litterly have no idea where to start! There is so much ! We've recently been to Manhattan and is definitely somewhere wed like to live. Im a fully qualified scaffolder By trade so By the time we've saved enough money to start thinking about making it happen i would have nearly ten years experience. My partner is in telesales so I don't know how it would work in her favour too. Or does having a skilled trade like scaffokding have any effect or direct input on living and working in the U.S.

Our plan was to pay a years rent off in one go aswell so when we are there we can source direct work myself an look at avenues for my partner or is this also not the case. There's is just so much information around that we litterly get lost trying to work out the right way forward. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Start by reading the two wikis, here, and here. Let us know if any of the categories apply to you and your situation.

There is nothing in what you have posted so far that suggests you have any basis for a visa to live and work in the US. Telesales is a non-starter, and there are no visas issued by the US for trades, none at all. As a minimum you need to have an occupation that requires a degree.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 7th 2016 at 8:25 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Pulaski has given you the sites to check on which visas are available. See if you qualify for any of them.

Knowing what your profession is and hers, I would say you have no qualifications for a work visa which would allow you to live and work in the US.

Unless one of you holds citizenship in a country who is allowed to participate in the Diversity Lottery for a green card, then it looks like you are SOL.

Many people vacation in the US or dream of its streets paved in gold. Vacations are no indication of would it is like to live here and the streets are only paved in broken dreams.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phattwoodcooper
Hi my partner and I are very keen at looking at making the move to the U.S. but litterly have no idea where to start! There is so much ! We've recently been to Manhattan and is definitely somewhere wed like to live. Im a fully qualified scaffolder By trade so By the time we've saved enough money to start thinking about making it happen i would have nearly ten years experience. My partner is in telesales so I don't know how it would work in her favour too. Or does having a skilled trade like scaffokding have any effect or direct input on living and working in the U.S.

Our plan was to pay a years rent off in one go aswell so when we are there we can source direct work myself an look at avenues for my partner or is this also not the case. There's is just so much information around that we litterly get lost trying to work out the right way forward. Any help would be much appreciated.
Welcome to BE.

Sorry to burst your bubble BUT with the info you have given there really isn't a way for you to get a work visa for the US, neither of your trades are in demand, and to be honest almost all work visas require a high level DEGREE in the field you wish to persue.

Please have a careful read through the BE Wiki on moving to the US and see if there is any way you can see forward.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

Sadly for most people in the UK visiting on holiday is the best they will get.

Your only way forward just might be an investment one, and for this, in order to get a green card, you would need to be investing $500,000+
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Right ok we've established my partners work is a no go but it's not what she wants to do so we will look into things for her as regards to myself an the degree parts. From what I've read a advanced level 3 scaffolder is the equivalent to a degree in construction an steel erection. Does this help out at all? Thanks for the reply
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I understand what you mean about degree level trade quals however I believe that is not what is meant here. From what I know from the good people in the know on this USA forum you are not going to be able to live and work in the USA.

Perhaps set your sights to another country that would perhaps need your trade skills.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 7th 2016 at 8:50 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:49 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Right ok we've established my partners work is a no go but it's not what she wants to do so we will look into things for her as regards to myself an the degree parts. From what I've read a advanced level 3 scaffolder is the equivalent to a degree in construction an steel erection. Does this help out at all? Thanks for the reply
Please read the links given carefully, they have all the avenues available for you.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:51 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Make use of the UK's membership of the EU while you can and choose from over 20 countries where you can move relatively easily.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

In a section I clicked on it says

"Are you a skilled worker?"

I'm Advanced scaffolder Nvq level 3(equivalent to associates degree), ten years experience. Lahyer trained, first aid train, supervisor trained, level 3 gas/confined space trained. Wouldn't this be classed as a skilled worker?
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Also seen on Forbes list that the number 1 hardest job to fill is currently skilled trade workers. This must all count for something.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand, no.

"Skilled worker" for US immigration purposes generally requires at least a bachelors degree, and the jobs that fall under that category must require that prerequisite knowledge. Skilled worker jobs generally use the words, "engineer", "scientist", "professor", etc, and the vast majority of skilled workers that are imported on H1B visas seem to be in the science, technology, and engineering industries.

Last edited by cautiousjon; Dec 7th 2016 at 9:24 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

So I've just looked at my books an the actual name for a scaffolder is access and rigging engineer. So rather than using scaffolding I should be using the term advanced access an rigging engineer level 3.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

In a section I clicked on it says

"Are you a skilled worker?"

I'm Advanced scaffolder Nvq level 3(equivalent to associates degree), ten years experience. Lahyer trained, first aid train, supervisor trained, level 3 gas/confined space trained. Wouldn't this be classed as a skilled worker?
In a word, no.

No-one is doubting your skills, but it's not what is defined as skilled by the USCIS, so you still remain SOL.

You have to remember that you can't just move to the States and look for a job, then apply for a visa. The visa MUST be applied for by a prospective employer and costs them several thousands of dollars, not to mention the long months they would have to wait until you were able to actually start work (visa processing plus the actual move).

Bottom line, you have two hopes of immigrating to the USA, no hope and Bob Hope - and Bob's dead! Sorry. Come as a tourist just like the majority of people in your situation.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:32 pm
Concierge

Also seen on Forbes list that the number 1 hardest job to fill is currently skilled trade workers. This must all count for something.
You really have to realise that to employ someone from the UK the US company must spend thousands of dollars for a visa, and the the next opening of the visa slotswill be April 2017 for a start date in October 2017m how many people wanting a scaffolder will be prepared to go through that when there are thousands of unemployed scaffolders in the US who could start next week. The visa is also many times oversubscribed, so there is about a 1 in 4 chance of getting one even then. The only other way would be an intercompany transfer but for that you have to be working, at MANAGEMENT level for the UK part of the company for at least a year to qualify. Please forget your US dream and concentrate on somewhere where you might be in with a chance, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or as has been suggested there is still the whole of the EU to go for.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Let's say you could qualify academically/experience wise.... the biggest issue after that is sponsorship on the H-1B program. You will need an employer to sponsor you. Then you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting one of the 65,000 visas available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.